• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

WHERE ARE MY MOVIES!?! (IMPORTANT - LOL)

dlittle

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Hi Mike Kobb, I’m hoping you read my post and can clear up some confusion I have (btw, thanks for participating on the forum!!) . As far as I know, this topic hasn’t been discussed on the forum yet.

A few days ago, I discovered something disturbing - a title I purchased was no longer in the Kaleidescape Store, and it also didn’t show up when I ran a search of my purchased movies. I checked the rest of my titles and found of the 3,107 titles I've purchased, 46 do not show up when I search the store, filtered for purchased movies. Closer inspection found that 9 of these movies are still available in the store, but the version of the movie I own probably is an older one, so they are not resulted in a search. Examples are:

the Ace Ventura movies
the first two Harry Potter movies
Empire Records.

The other 37 movies are no longer in the store at all, and also do not show up under my purchased movies. Some examples of these:

Capricorn One
Driven
Inglorious Bastards
Kingdom of Heaven
Stargate
Taken 3
The Pianist

I understand why titles may no longer be in the store for purchase - movies change ownership hands, along with the rights to sell them. But I thought they would remain available for download if you previously purchased them. I also thought that if you searched the store, filtered for purchased titles, they would be resulted.

With our Premiere servers, titles were protected by RAID, so if a hard drive failed, no big deal - buy another hard drive and the system rebuilds itself - no titles lost.

With Terra servers, there is no RAID backup. I understood this wasn’t necessary as titles on a failed hard drive could be re-downloaded.

So, Mike, I hope you can clear up some questions:

1. When I purchase a title in the Kaleidescape Store, do I permanently own the digital rights to that title, regardless of studios buying and selling it?

2. If disaster strikes, and a hard drive breaks, how do I re-download it?

3. For the above, how do I even know I’ve lost the title if it’s not reported when I run a purchased movie search?

4. As I mothball my Premiere servers, how to I re-downloaded them to Terra servers?

5. For owners deleting titles off their servers to clear up space, how would they re-download them?

Assuming the answer to owning the title permanently is yes, I’d like to make a suggestion that when you run a search on the movie store for purchased titles, these titles are resulted with the option to re-download.

Thanks!
Dave Little

Hi Dave,

Randomly checked some of the above that I own, they are all available. Below link to the other thread answering the questions.

I purchased "Inglorious Basterds" a couple years ago and noticed that it no longer appears in search results, but does show up when visiting "My Movies". I'd prefer search included all titles I've purchased (regardless if they're currently licensed for sale), but can confirm that that movie is still available for download.

DISCONTINUED MOVIES FOUND - YEAH!!!!

I discovered how to find the movies you’ve purchased that have been discontinued in the store. This is thanks to Andy’s post above - he mentioned the “My Movies” under the Manage tab in the store, which I had forgotten about.

I had searched under “Movies, Browse All, and filtered for Purchased”, which do not result discontinued movies.

But if you go to the Manage tab, “My Movies”, all titles are resulted including the discontinued ones.

Thanks Andy!

Dave Little

Greetings Dave,

Yes, My Movies is the place to look at the moment. Due to the way the movie store currently works (grotty technical details that I won't get into), movies that are not currently available for purchase don't show up in any of the regular store places or in search results, even if you own them. My Movies is a special place that shows the titles you've purchased.

We agree that this can cause confusion, however, so we're looking at possible changes for the future.

--Mike

Back