• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

When cinema one goes pop!

Vodder

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Hi, working cinema one / 120, tripped my whole house. I’m assuming at least it was this that tripped it as now it is completely dead and won’t turn on at all. Never ever have I had something die on me like that before; any ideas on cause or how to fix?

Is it possible something shorted? Or likely the PSU? Any way to check if the PSU is still functional? Perhaps a multimeter?

The way these things are stuffed inside, taking it apart really isn’t something I’m looking forward to! Haha.

Should add, the unit has quite a bit of damage on one corner where it appears to have been dropped in shipping. I’m presuming this won’t have helped it but it was working hence why keen to try and fix it or at least root cause for my own geekiness :)

Pictures? When did it pop? Right when plugged in? I am going to guess it is the power supply and the motherboard is ok, but that's just a guess.

No, was running and then the power in the house tripped. It hasn’t been able to turn on since. There was no actual “pop”, least that I’m aware of, that was just a figure of speech, I was in the other room, looking at the browser.

Will try and load some pics later

Cheers

When my 1U server went pop and blew the main circuit breaker in the house it was the power supply. In my case there was a definite 'bang' as the lights went out.

Chris

It is rather disturbing that any small computer device like a k component would trip the main breaker in your home. I guess at this point if it were mine, I would assume the power supply is dead and try to exchange it with one that is known to work. On the 1u server for example, it uses what is essentially a mini ATX power supply. But the connectors are the same as a larger unit, so a larger one can be temporarily connected with the cover off for troubleshooting purposes. I am not sure about the 1st gen cinema one, but it is probably similar.

I would be surprised if the 1st gen C1 uses the same power supply as 1U since it it is also a player and has to be has a DVD/CD Reader in order to play discs for import along with the 4 disc drives (much smaller capacity but probably same or more power requirements do to older technology).

John

ETA: I found the data sheets that include typical power:

1U: 66W (typical)
C1: 84W (typical)

https://www.kaleidescape.com/wp-content/uploads/kaleidescape-1u-server.pdf

https://www.kaleidescape.com/wp-content/uploads/Kaleidescape-Cinema-One.pdf

Last edited:
This is the message I tried to post when the site was having a moment...

Thanks Chris, sounds very similar! Anyone know how to fix a PSU in the UK? Or at least root cause it? I have a multi meter somewhere.

There’s a link to a company in the threads which sounds positive but seems to be US only

Thanks AlienWarlock /JohnJ. Yeah, I’ma little surprised too that it would cause everything to trip but then reading all the historical issues with PSUs I’m not surprised. I don’t think I’ve ever had or known a PSU to go pop in all my 20 years in IT. Least not consumer grade. I’ve had many a server one blow.

Typically I never thought to try a micro ATX PSU, I’ve got two here and a couple of older ones too from some of my old PCs. Unit is at my other place so I’ll have to wait until I’m next there.

I’d be interested in root causing it just incase there’s a wider issue

Found the pics I took. Damage was to the corner diagonally opposite the PSU. My current theory is the metal casing and the front USB socket and a fatal attraction...

Attachments

• 7F50D22E-60C7-490A-9A6B-449BB99AA1CA.jpg
    7F50D22E-60C7-490A-9A6B-449BB99AA1CA.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 275AFEC0-8020-42F8-8C0B-6E5872CF93C1.jpg
    275AFEC0-8020-42F8-8C0B-6E5872CF93C1.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 9B414CE7-7A2F-4ED3-88A0-4386539FD8FB.jpg
    9B414CE7-7A2F-4ED3-88A0-4386539FD8FB.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 16
  • A4D64750-C55D-488F-8604-3CBE636106F7.jpg
    A4D64750-C55D-488F-8604-3CBE636106F7.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 13
Honestly, with that much damage, there's no telling what happened inside the chassis.

No idea, but one can only assume it was dropped by the courier, it was like that when I opened it. The dealer I purchased it off was good enough to refund me but the courier wouldn’t pay him anything - really not sure what the point in insurance is or what would need to happen for them to pay out!

Dealer had found it in a clean out so was happy for me to keep it and try and fix it.

My nerdy challenge side kicked in, I managed to fix the fascia with super glue, and managed to bend most of the metal in the right direction. Even got the disk caddies to slide in and out without issue, and to be fair you wouldn’t have seen a lot of the damage with the fascia up. I thought I’d done a bloody good job, was working, and then it went “bang” :-(

I still think the PSU is worth playing with but I agree with @MikeKobb, who knows what else could have happened to it.

Sadly, this is the THIRD(!) component I’ve bought second hand this past year that has been damaged in transit. It is always the corner that gets the brunt. The previous items took damage to the feet but didn’t matter so much as I was rack mounting them. I guess without the correct shipping box or certainly any corner supports, it’s more likely to happen.

@cinelife - might be an idea there for the sales section; tips on packaging and shipping methods when the original boxes aren’t available

Thanks V, I think we have some posts in various threads about proper packing, but no dedicated sticky to the subject. We'll look into that going forward.

The original packing is essential on the heavier pieces, and highly recommended for all components. Popcorn packing used by the major shippers provides zero protection during the actual shipping of the larger, heavier, components. The contents will likely move enough to displace the popcorn and expose the component to damage, especially the corners.

Jim

Back