• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

What's Your AV Setup?

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
We always talk Kaleidescape related subjects (obviously), but I thought it might be fun to have a thread dedicated to other components we use in our AV systems. If you feel like contributing, please list your display(s), speakers, audio gear, control system, and any other components important to your setup. Basic setup, or dedicated theatre, makes no difference, this is not intended to be a "look what I have" thread, but it is hoped that someone reading might have a question about a component someone is using in their system, and this helps share that type of info, so have fun!:)

Jim

Here is the setup in my FL location:

THEATRE:
K 3U Servers (Two)
K Strato 4K
K M700 (2) as main movie source
K4000 Music for 4 zone in ceiling bedroom speakers (RTI panels to control)
Stewart 12' Cinecurve microperf screen, BRIC for 6 AR masking positions
Sony VPL-VW5000ES Laser Projector
CineSlide (Enhanced for bigger Isco 1.25 A-Lens)
Isco-1.25 A-lens
Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242 Video Processor
Pro Audio Technology Speakers (12i for LCR behind screen, 6's for double surrounds and rears, Atmos/DTS-X/Auro)
Pro Audio Technology Subs (LFC-15sm's)
Pro Audio Amps for all speakers
Datasat RS20i PrePro with Atmos/DTS-X/Auro
Bryston SP3 PrePro (Music)
Real D (CE4s) glasses for 3D
Sony 3D glasses
Oppo 203 BR Player (for 3D only)
Panasonic UB900 4K BR Player (for UHD discs not in the K Store)
Fortress Seating (Deco-2 rows)
RTI (XP8, XP6's) for Control
Torus Power (three RM20BBAL)
Eaton 9PX-2000RT Uninterruptible Power Supply (3 units)

GAME ROOM: (Kids play room)
Sony 84" 4K Flat Panel
K M700 for movies
Dish for TV
Oppo 103 for 3D Blu-ray
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Sony PS3
Sony PS4
M&K Speakers, S150's in-wall, in a 7.1 setup
Denon Receiver for audio
Audio Control Savoy G3 Amp for surrounds
RTI for control
Dell 2848 Power Connect Switch

M300's in guest rooms.
Pioneer Elite (2) displays,
65" Sony Z9D (2) displays, waiting for 75" Z9D
Sony VW1100ES 4K Projector (spare for now, use it for testing content).

Jim

Last edited:
LOUNGE

Kaleidescape M700
Samsung 55" 4K UHD TV (Just got this for the Ryder Cup,Wow!!!)
Denon 7.1 Amp
B&W M1 x 5 + Kef 100ci x 2 + PV1 Subwoofer
Sky HD 2Tb
XBox One
Sonos

DEDICATED HOME CINEMA
(About 2-3 Years away)

(Just got this for the Ryder Cup,Wow!!!)

Of course, you live in Scotland!! (maybe next time.....:()

(Nice setup!)

Jim

Could we possibly add photos (racks, rooms, etc)? I enjoy looking at what others have come up with.

Could we possibly add photos (racks, rooms, etc)? I enjoy looking at what others have come up with.

Me too,I will upload some photos tomorrow.In the meantime,here is a pic of my old 50" Panny Plasma before i upgraded.image.jpg

Ian.

Thanks Jim,( Tom Watson will always be a legend here)

Do you charge admission to your theatre?

Your game room setup sounds fab too.

Ian.

Ha! Thanks, but it's just the result of a never-ending sickness, something I caught 30 years ago that forces me to get sucked in to anything new that might possibly improve my viewing or listening experience. A lot of wasted $ along the way, that's for sure!:p

Watson certainly had great success over there, and an incredible Open a couple years ago. On top of that he's a nice guy. I assume you play?? (As an aside, my neighbor's are Billy Horschel, and Mat Kuchar's Father. Mat comes into town every once in awhile. We celebrated Billy's FedEx Cup win here at The Plantation.)

Jim

result of a never-ending sickness

Watson certainly had great success over there, and an incredible Open a couple years ago. On top of that he's a nice guy. I assume you play?? (As an aside, my neighbor's are Billy Horschel, and Mat Kuchar's Father. Mat comes into town every once in awhile. We celebrated Billy's FedEx Cup win here at The Plantation.)

Tell me about it!!

Been playing since I was 4 years old at The Old Course,Musselburgh.

Next time you see Billy let him know we in Europe are glad USA pick their team before the FedEx Cup is finished.

Ian.

:cool:

If you ever come this way (Florida), reach out and we'll play my home course (I live on the 15th hole at The Plantation at Ponte Vedra), and the TPC Player's course (That Par 3 17th is always fun!). (Can get on the course anytime, my Brother-in-Law is Web.com's business dev. VP.)

Sorry to go off topic!

Jim

Last edited:
To get back on point, at my Indiana house,

Sony VW1100ES 4K PJ
Stewart Vistascope Screen (11')
Aerial Acoustics Speakers
Denon 5308
RTI control
Pioneer Elite flat panel
Samsung flat panel

Simple setup, we use this house for Notre Dame home games during football season. :)

Jim

My AV system has been built to be equally capable for both movies and music. My home is open to others who want to come and audition various bits and pieces, particularly on the music side, and without exception they are always impressed by the Kaleidescape experience.
Anyway, my HT is built around a Krell Foundation 7.1 pre-pro, Lumagen Radiance video processor, JVC DLA HD-550 projector, Stewart GrayHawk RS electriscreen, and Halcro MC70 amp driving the GoldenEar surround speakers.
The music system is built around a Halcro dm-8 pre-amp and PS Audio DirectStream DAC.
Common to both is the PS Audio Power Plant delivering the 240V mains power, Kaleidescape M-700 + 1U servers, Halcro dm88 power amps, SVS SB13Ultra subwoofer, and Wilson Audio Sophia v3 main speakers.
Philips Pronto Pro is my preferred control system, but I also use Remotescape with volume control for iPad, and ocassionally the Kaleidescape App for iPad.
Extensive acoustic treatments are also installed, both for soundproofing and in-room acoustics.

Nice setup B, I always did like those Sophia's, never got around to owning a pair, but always sounded incredible whenever I had the opportunity to hear them.:)

Jim

Thanks Jim. The Sophia's need time. I bought them new and was unimpressed with them for the first 4 months, then they started to sound OK over the next 2 months, now they sound quite good. But they do need to be driven hard for 6 months to loosen up to sound their best. Particularly having recently auditioned Magico S5 as a possible upgrade path, but surprisingly the Sophia are probably a better fit for me. I also have the YG Acoustics Hailey 1.2 on my radar. Surprisingly in our market both the Magico and YG Acoustics speakers are cheaper here than US MSRP, which is an extreme rareity. Even the Halcro amplifiers which are built here in Australia are cheaper to buy in the US than our local market (and by quite a bit!).

Update 7 December 2017:

Here are my set-ups. I have one room that Is my home Thearter and a separate room that is for music only.

Home Thearter

Runco LS-10 DLP projector -> Sony VPL-VW5000ES Projector
Lumagen Radiance video processor -> Radiance Pro 4446 processor
Stewart 140" screen -> Stewart ST100 193” 16/9 screen
McIntosh MX150 pre/pro -> McIntosh MX160 pre/pro
McIntosh MC602 x 2; MC205 x 2 power amps
B&W speakers: 801N (front L&R); 802N (sides);HTM2 (center); CWM 8.3D (rears); CCM 8.3D (heights)
Velodyne DD+18 sub
M700 movie/audio source / 3U server
Strato 10Tb UHD Player/Co-Star switch
Strato C Player/Co-Star switch
Oppo bdp-203 UHD Player
Sony PS3
DirecTV 4K Client
Controller: iRule with iPad (and all the needed network gateways).

Vintage Audio

Marantz 7T preamp
Marantz Model 15 power amp
Klipsch Cornwall speakers
Thorens TD160 turn table
Teac A-4300 reel-to-reel
M500 source

John

Last edited:
3 out of 3 owner setups thus far all have M700, Stewart screens, and Lumagen Radiance!

Very nice John!:) How do like that Mc MX-150, I haven't heard it in a system, but it has a substantial following and very positive comments.

Jim

I really like it. Previous units I have owned were the Lexicon MC-1 and the Anthem D2v. The MX150's main advantages compared to my previous two show up mainly on music. The room correction software is very good on the Mac. On my Anthem after doing the calibration my speakers no longer had that "quality" that made me buy them. It was still good but different sounding. With he Mac that is back. I am not sure how they do it.

John

Thanks John, I'll eventually bring one in to one to run a comparison with some of the prepro's I have here.:)

Jim

Back