• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

What order in rack?

Vodder

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
So I’ve finally gotten my “DC cabinet” back so tomorrows homework is to rerack all this…

Any thoughts or advice on what “order” to install this all in please?

It’s an 18U cabinet. One of those M700s and one of those Terras are for sale if that changes anyone’s longer term opinion 😊

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
Personally, I'd put the vault(s) on the bottom, because it will be much much much easier to get them in the cabinet that way, and then whatever goes above them can just rest on them while you're messing with rack ears and screws. They're also the heaviest components when filled with discs, so having them on the bottom makes sense.

Also, you may want to protect the top surface of components as you're sliding in the next component above them. I managed to scratch the heck out of a 2U Strato that way. 😢 Just a piece of cardboard or foam or something that you can then slide out once the next component is in the rack, and before you fasten the ears.

The weight aspect is certainly something to think of, especially for the inevitable day when your jammed vault full of discs needs to be removed and opened to clean the rollers. But I also like having it higher than the bottom position so I don't have to bend all the way over (since I access it way more than any other component).

As far as heat goes, all K components are designed to exhaust out the back... as long as there is space back there you should be good.

Andy

That's interesting. I seldom need to access my vault, but I suppose that's because I rarely purchase physical media anymore. Occasionally I pick up an obscure or import title that's not available on our store. It's certainly true that one rarely needs to touch the servers.

If you don't put the vault on the bottom, I would strongly suggest not putting it directly on top of the Terras, just because you risk scratching them if you have to drag the vault out of the rack at some point.

Thanks y’all. Yeah, I was going the weight at the bottom. UPS first, that’s just scary heavy let alone cost wise 🤣

Hmm, no 3Us, so I would agree with putting the vaults a little higher, to prevent excessive bending while loading/unloading or getting them in/out, but the rack's not really tall enough to put much else below them. Where I would differ from everyone else is in saying to put the Terra at/near the top. Mine is quite the fireball, so I'm fixing to rearrange the ordering to move it up top, so it isn't cooking the devices on either side.

This is how I have mine. This is a Salamander Design Corsica cabinet with 15U rack space on each side. There are bottom vents and kept the backs open.

I have the movie servers on the bottom. They get the coolest air that way. My M700 is on the top left which is a mistake I made. The M700 has a built in movie player hence it runs warmer than my DV700s (the other 3 pictured here). I will swap it with the DV700 on the right side above the Terra server so it is away from the 3U server (and its inferno). I am also considering experimenting with some fans around the cabinet. AC infinity makes interesting fan controllers for such applications.

Btw, I love this cabinet. It is as if it was designed for a CoStar Kaleidescape system. There is 3U space left on the right side at the bottom of the Terra for a (future) second Terra + 1U vented blank.

3F4DC7E4-5543-4663-83F3-0AB9015CF603.jpeg

Looking good that - and I agree with the heat on the servers. I noticed that a lot in my old place - too hot, too cold warnings. (in the winter)

I have some AC infinity kit for my older living room setup - it is awesome!

Back