• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

What HDMI are you using with 4K

naylorman32

So for all the Strato owners out there...

I know in another thread we were discussing holding off on picking the right HDMI cable with our new setups. My question is, with the existing cables you have, has anyone gotten 4K to work in 4:4:4 at 10bit? So far with my Monoprice Redmere cables, i've been limited to 10.2 gbs at 4:4:2 (i think) in the Strato online settings. Otherwise, I get no image.

So should i invest in another cable if anyone has had success getting better results?

Naylor,
You will not get past 10.2 with almost any active cable, other than the Ethereal Velox and a Nordost I know of. The Redmere technology actually makes it impossible for the cable to pass 18G signals, ironically, because it did help in many cases with the 10.2G spec. I have it on good authority, however, that the products I already posted in the other thread will work well. I was told that JVC specifically has worked with them to test the cables, and they perform very well.

Nordost has an active 18G solution, too, but my understanding is that the circuitry in that cable is a 1st generation design, and the stuff in the Ethereal Velox I mentioned is the newer 2nd gen.

You will, in fact, have to get another cable, as I mentioned.

Last edited:
A lot of people over on AVS have had success with the Monster Cable Black Platinum Ultra HD High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet and Performance Indicators

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O3QOWLK"]Amazon.com: Monster Black Platinum Ultra HD High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet and Performance Indicators - 16 ft.: Electronics[/ame]

and the one without the indicators-

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Black-Platinum-HighSpeed-Ethernet/dp/B00H3W91IA"]Amazon.com: Monster Black Platinum Ultra HD HighSpeed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - 16 ft.: Electronics[/ame]

Who knew Monster was good for something :)

Naylor,
You will not get past 10.2 with almost any active cable, other than the Ethereal Velox and a Nordost I know of. The Redmere technology actually makes it impossible for the cable to pass 18G signals, ironically, because it did help in many cases with the 10.2G spec. I have it on good authority, however, that the products I already posted in the other thread will work well. I was told that JVC specifically has worked with them to test the cables, and they perform very well.

Nordost has an active 18G solution, too, but my understanding is that the circuitry in that cable is a 1st generation design, and the stuff in the Ethereal Velox I mentioned is the newer 2nd gen.

You will, in fact, have to get another cable, as I mentioned.

Thank you for the insight!

You are more than welcome. I really just want to help all the K enthusiasts out there get the best for their systems, making them as reliable and high performance as possible. There is a lot of misinformation out there, and I really prefer verifiable facts. It helps my day go by a little better. :)

Spizzy,
If you aren't familiar with DPL Labs, you should really check out their site. It's an independent testing organization that checks cables from every manufacturer who will send them units to test. If it passes their cert, it can typically be relied upon to work well, assuming the rest of the signal chain is up to snuff.

Having worked for Monster Cable in the past, I am familiar with them. It might be telling that a cable company as large as Monster doesn't have a single certified cable. That doesn't mean they won't work. Maybe they will. But they can certainly afford the testing procedure, so I wonder aloud why they don't submit them for testing?

Going forward, with UltraHD Premium, and the very high bit rate and stringent QC requirements imposed by HDR, 10-12 bit depth, REC2020, 4K resolution content, it will be ever more critical that your HDMI connections be truly up to the task, with at least a little performance margin, so they can absorb the effects of component degradation that happens to nearly every component with heat and time.

Slightly off topic, but last time I checked, Monster had more patents relating to packaging than technology. Ethereal would be my go to cable in this instance for all the reasons HiFi has already covered.

Slightly off topic, but last time I checked, Monster had more patents relating to packaging than technology. Ethereal would be my go to cable in this instance for all the reasons HiFi has already covered.

I didn't know that, but it wouldn't surprise me. ;)

Naylor,
You will not get past 10.2 with almost any active cable, other than the Ethereal Velox and a Nordost I know of.
Hello all,

Just checked in with the team that has been testing cables. It looks like we actually were not able to get the Velox cable to work at 18 Gbps, so I would hold off on buying one for the time being. We've reached out to Ethereal and I will definitely post an update if we're able to resolve the issue.

I don't think we've tested the Nordost cable yet, but I will find out.

In any event, we are still in a situation where the only active cable we've tested successfully is not yet available (but is coming in about a month if their schedule holds). The good news is that that one cable is a fiber optic cable, so it should work even at very long lengths.

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME BEST BUY LIED TO ME FOR ALL THOSE YEARS?!?!?! ;)

That's disappointing about the Velox. I look forward to hearing about the fiber system. I have seen the MHX and GA1 accelerator combo work with my own eyes on full 18G signals, so hopefully your in-house testing will show them to be a good combo.

Nothing yet, I'm afraid. We do have a line on a second optical cable that may work, though. Waiting to hear how that turns out.

First post here. I plan for a Strato and Tera server, but with a 50 foot run, my 18g signal needs to be spot on. I should probably hold off on taking the plunge until a true18g compatible cable is released. The moment that a fiber solution is announced, I'll be getting a a couple. Please keep us posted.

Welcome, BB. Glad to see you getting into Kaleidescape. This is a small but excellent crew here at KScapeOwners, and we are honored to have enthusiastic and knowledgeable support directly from the factory, which is a luxury most manufacturers don't afford the public at large.

How's the theater coming along?

Welcome, BB. Glad to see you getting into Kaleidescape. This is a small but excellent crew here at KScapeOwners, and we are honored to have enthusiastic and knowledgeable support directly from the factory, which is a luxury most manufacturers don't afford the public at large.

How's the theater coming along?

Greetings! Thanks for the welcome. I prefer a smaller, tight-knit community so this is great! The theater is coming along well--carpet gets installed next week.

I've been hitting a wall on the HDMI cable runs--I currently have three 10gbs Monoprice redmere cables run from the equipment room to the projector location (I thought I was future proofing), but it looks like that was wasted effort. Thankfully, the cable is in conduit, so it's just matter of pulling more cables. But I need to know the right cables to pull. It looks like fiber is in my future.

Matt- I know with my 18 gbs redmere cables I am actually limited to 10.2 gbs with my Strato and RS600. I'm hoping to test some new cables as I go on here. But i'll keep my Redmeres for all other sources as they work great for the most part.

Matt- I know with my 18 gbs redmere cables I am actually limited to 10.2 gbs with my Strato and RS600. I'm hoping to test some new cables as I go on here. But i'll keep my Redmeres for all other sources as they work great for the most part.

That's such a strange limitation. I've heard good things about Celerity and Crestron fiber optic cables, but at $200-$500 a pop, I'm not willing to explore without guarantees. Which cables do you have lined up for testing? I'll likely be using the same projector you have, so my results will be similar (cable length being the only variable)

That will make three of us. I have the JVC DLA-RS600 (love it), my Strato arrives on Tuesday (confident I will love it), and I have a 25 foot cable run between the two (less love here - as it currently limits me to 10.2 Gbps).

I think it is great that the Strato has a browser-based interface where the connection speed can be selected. I was an early adopter of the Samsung UBD-K8500 and the fact that the menus can't be "forced" down from 18 Gbps created all sorts of difficulties.

That will make three of us. I have the JVC DLA-RS600 (love it), my Strato arrives on Tuesday (confident I will love it), and I have a 25 foot cable run between the two (less love here - as it currently limits me to 10.2 Gbps).

I think it is great that the Strato has a browser-based interface where the connection speed can be selected. I was an early adopter of the Samsung UBD-K8500 and the fact that the menus can't be "forced" down from 18 Gbps created all sorts of difficulties.

I've been thinking of setting up a "video-only equipment rack" in the storage closet behind my theater, just to decrease the length of cable runs and increase chances of 18gps performance in HDMI cables. The amount of work required to actually accomplish this would be herculean and I'm hoping things do not to come to this. Is relocation of video equipment an option for you? Just looking for a shoulder to cry on here.

I'm shocked that Samsung, as an equipment contributor to the category, set those settings to default on its UHD Blu Ray Player, knowing the shaky UHD TV landscape.

Nothing yet, I'm afraid. We do have a line on a second optical cable that may work, though. Waiting to hear how that turns out.

Hi Mike,

Quick question for you. I understand that the industry has to go through cable testing whenever bandwidth changes occur as part of a paradigm shift (which, in this case, is UHD). Based on your time in the industry, what does the typical cable testing schedule look like for any manufacturer of source equipment? In other words, looking at a basic project schedule with all subordinate predecessors and successors collapsed, what would be the duration of the cable testing phase for KScape and/or any other manufacturer of source equipment (assuming the general cable testing Work Breakdown Structure is, for the most part, the same across the industry)?

I ask because as the Video landscape shifts to UHD, the need to test cables and compatibility one a per-source basis might become increasingly important for all UHD equipment manufacturers. The example of the incompatibility of the Vortex cables with 18gps, despite their "18gps certification" exemplifies why it may be a while before a "one cable fits all" solution is developed (or found).

Back