• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Video Walls

TrackZ

Hi all.

I'm curious. Anyone here actively using a video wall? Know anyone that is? Or actively planning to incorporate one into your setup in the near future (say within 1 year)?

They look so neat and I look forward to the day of replacing a projector with one (probably many years from now). I wonder if anyone is dropping the money and taking the plunge on these now.

Sorry, meant to comment on this earlier. I do plan to add a video wall to one of my homes this year, probably Samsung's 110" Micro display, expected to be released soon, but not sure that's on schedule with all the logistical issues created this past year. One of my distributors is supposed to notify me when they're available. If I put it in my house at Notre Dame (South Bend), it will replace an 85" display, not a PJ.

I don't plan to replace any projectors until the Micro's are available in at least a 14' wide display.

Jim

Sorry no, I currently have no idea, still waiting for confirmation on price and availability. I'm also waiting for info from another manufacturer of MicroLED, but they haven't responded yet either. If I learn anything, I'll post it here.

Jim

Samsung has stated they'd be available in 3 sizes, the largest being 110", but you are correct that one of the benefits of these "systems" is the ability to scale it as needed for the space. (These "pre-sized" setups can be installed by the owner if they feel comfortable doing that, CI is not required.)
What I failed to explain properly, is that I'm limiting my space to that size because of the current pixel pitch limitations, (AFAIK) the smallest size on the MicroLED displays is .9, so there are limits on how large you can build without affecting the image, further dictated by seating distance. I'm waiting for the tech to improve the PP size before using at 14'. I don't plan to go larger than 110" until the panels can handle 8K, which requires a smaller PP. (Peter might see it differently, and he certainly knows more about this area than I do, perhaps he'll comment at some point.)
The very large commercial displays look great, but we're normally viewing these from longer distances.

Jim

The consumer panels that Samsung is offering, like that 110", are able to be put together in 4s or other configurations to make a larger display then?

That's one of the questions I have.....

Jim

I was expecting that price range, but still want to confirm with our distributor because I've seen prices quoted in articles that were later changed (up and down) when the item was made available for order. I'd be using this in a space that allows for reasonable seating distance, and they can handle 4K, so probably still a purchase I'll make when available. Only using it when I get to Notre Dame during football season, so not really critical viewing.

@wilson, thanks for the post!

Jim

Thanks for posting that, I knew about "The Wall" saw a demo at a show, liked it, but I think what I saw had a larger PP, but in any case I misunderstood some of the info they provided. Frankly, I was waiting for the pricing to be a bit more reasonable for these displays before doing a deeper dive, but that info helps, thank you.

I'd be curious what Chris thinks about these panels, assuming he's spent any time with them.

Jim

Here is thread on it....

The new 110 in model is a prebuilt tv you can install yourself where as the wall is panels you have install yourself...
It is still made up of panels pit together.
The 110in model prolly has a small pixel pitch and 99 in prolly even smaller.
I am Hoping they offer those small pixel pitch panels so they can build the larger walls with the small pixel pitch.

Yes Sir, I knew about the panel structure, and that consumers could technically handle the install of the pre-sized models, and there is certainly more work with the potentially larger displays. I will eventually take the training when offered, but the transition from the commercial side (the initial target market for these walls) to the residential side, is developing slowly. These new pre-sized units will help in that transition.

I agree, I'd like to see smaller PP myself, but it might be awhile, if ever, given the way these have to be manufactured.

Thanks again for the info.

Jim

Funny I was thinking about this earlier this week... (I'm moving house... o_O next month and not sure when/if/how I go about picture house 4.0 - I feel like Brewster's Millions, where he finally finishes everything and then goes "Perfect, now tear it all down!" 🤦‍♂️ but that's a whole other story...)

Is the overall thinking with these panels that they will soon/eventually replace the need for PJs or are we way off that / different use case?

I was speaking with the Planar Rep for my region this past week. Great guy, very knowledgeable, helpful, and up front about what they are looking for in their dealers. Very impressive tech in the Planar systems. They currently have the ability to go to .07 pp, but going that small increases the cost significantly. The most affordable (relatively speaking) is in the 1.2 pp range, but obviously seating distance determines what works and what doesn't, and that's before you get to questions about video capabilities. I'd put Planar at the top of the list for any serious buyer that is okay going North of $200K.

These MicroLED systems are "currently" mainly for:

1. The 1%ers out there;
2. High salaried single people that love AV;
3. Those already divorced; and
4. Those okay with getting divorced.

Jim

Back