• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Video Settings

dlaunde

Regarding Video Settings:
  • For Video Output Behavior, am I missing out on correct playback by using 'Minimize display mode changes' instead of 'Allow changes'?
  • For HDMI Content Type Metadata, am I missing out on correct playback by using 'Do not transmit'?
  • Is there any benefit to 'Preferring 4:4:4 30-bit' instead of 'Automatic'?

• For Video Output Behavior, am I missing out on correct playback by using 'Minimize display mode changes' instead of 'Allow changes'?
It depends. For reference, I run my system in "Minimize display mode changes" and I'm happy with that setting. It takes about 8-10 seconds for my video chain to restore a picture after a mode change, and I don't like that delay.

Assuming that you have an 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 connection to your display, the thing that's most likely to cause visible issues by having "minimize" on is the conversion of frame rate from 24fps to 60fps. Because 24 doesn't divide into 60 evenly, the process of conversion results in some frames being repeated more often than others, which causes a visible artifact called "judder". Many people don't notice this, but others do, especially on certain types of scenes (e.g. camera pans across a landscape).

However, since most modern high-end displays and projectors use a native frame rate of either 120 or 240fps, if you had 24fps content, the division is an even multiple and you don't get judder. So that's why sending 24fps to the display natively can be a good option. However, many displays include a technology to detect that the 60fps signal they're receiving is really a converted 24fps signal. They then undo the conversion to recover the original 24fps signal, and then re-convert to the native 120 or 240 display rate. If this is done well, then you get exactly as good of a result as you would have had sending 24fps in the first place. This is what I do, and my Sony 995ES does a perfect job. And so that's why I'm happy with the Minimize setting. Unfortunately, everybody calls this setting something different. I think Sony calls it "True Cinema".

• For HDMI Content Type Metadata, am I missing out on correct playback by using 'Do not transmit'?
Almost certainly not. This is primarily there for Barco projectors that do automatic aspect ratio detection, to help them out when viewing the OSD.

• Is there any benefit to 'Preferring 4:4:4 30-bit' instead of 'Automatic'?
Probably not. It's really there for certain displays that have processing issues with 4:2:2 color sampling.

It depends. For reference, I run my system in "Minimize display mode changes" and I'm happy with that setting. It takes about 8-10 seconds for my video chain to restore a picture after a mode change, and I don't like that delay.

Assuming that you have an 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 connection to your display, the thing that's most likely to cause visible issues by having "minimize" on is the conversion of frame rate from 24fps to 60fps. Because 24 doesn't divide into 60 evenly, the process of conversion results in some frames being repeated more often than others, which causes a visible artifact called "judder". Many people don't notice this, but others do, especially on certain types of scenes (e.g. camera pans across a landscape).

However, since most modern high-end displays and projectors use a native frame rate of either 120 or 240fps, if you had 24fps content, the division is an even multiple and you don't get judder. So that's why sending 24fps to the display natively can be a good option. However, many displays include a technology to detect that the 60fps signal they're receiving is really a converted 24fps signal. They then undo the conversion to recover the original 24fps signal, and then re-convert to the native 120 or 240 display rate. If this is done well, then you get exactly as good of a result as you would have had sending 24fps in the first place. This is what I do, and my Sony 995ES does a perfect job. And so that's why I'm happy with the Minimize setting. Unfortunately, everybody calls this setting something different. I think Sony calls it "True Cinema".
Thanks!

I will play around. I have been using the Kaleidescape with the "Minimize" setting for nearly a year (mostly because I never checked the Video Settings). I have a Samsung QN90A, which has a "Film Mode" option but it seems it is more for 1080i sources as I only ever so it as an option that can be changed when using my DirecTV receiver (it is grayed out when using the Kscape).

I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with the current Samsung models, but a quick check online supports your idea that Film Mode is only for interlaced sources. It may be that you don't have to do anything special and the set just detects that it's playing content that was originally 24p and does the right thing.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with the current Samsung models, but a quick check online supports your idea that Film Mode is only for interlaced sources. It may be that you don't have to do anything special and the set just detects that it's playing content that was originally 24p and does the right thing.
Here is what it says about sources (for the Samsung):

Judder-Free 24p Yes
Judder-Free 24p via 60p Yes
Judder-Free 24p via 60i Yes
Judder-Free 24p via Native Apps Yes
The Samsung QN90A automatically removes judder from all sources, and there aren't any settings you need to enable.

Back