• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Video Cutting Out on Strato

I am having the same issue of video cutting out and audio keeps playing. My Strato C is connected via Marantz AV8805A. By turning my AV8805A on and off video playback restarts. This happened at least 6 times while watching Spiderman No way home. Any suggestions? BTW watching movies rom Apple TV, Netflix etc. no issues at all.

Sounds like an EDID issue, maybe HDR related, but support can look into the logs and tell you for sure. The next time this happens it would be easier for K Support to look into it if you can help by marking the time it happens, and if possible, use the remote control and select 8-8-8-8 (or 5555, some 4 number series) to mark the location in the logs for your system.

Jim

I can say that is unlikely to be an HDCP failure considering that would halt playback completely (and you wouldn't hear audio).

Aside from Jim's suggestion with regards to EDID, there is the potential that your HDMI cable is right "on the edge" meaning it is able to handle most video signals, but maybe in more complex scenes when video bandwidth increases, the cable "falls off the edge" and is temporarily unable to handle the signal. Another symptom to potentially look for with this (it doesn't always happen) is where you see light pixels in the middle of dark scenes (due to digital bits getting flipped).

If you have not done so (and depending on what K support says), you may want to try another cable and/or input on your 8805. You should also check the HDMI settings on the 8805 to make sure it not defaulting to an older HDMI version (some manufacturers do that by default to preserve compatibility).

Good luck,
Andy

Andy I will try your suggestion. FYI I found below response to another customer having similar issue with his AV8805A unit. I am not sure what that means.

"The problem you are experiencing may be attributed to the TV's EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) dropping the negotiation with the sources when there's an HDMI repeating device like an AVR in the mix."

"The problem you are experiencing may be attributed to the TV's EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) dropping the negotiation with the sources when there's an HDMI repeating device like an AVR in the mix."

This is my point, not saying that's the case, but in the past, Support has been able to tell us if they see these connection dropouts being related to EDID somewhere in the chain.

Jim

Jim,

What is the solution? Perhaps HDR settings of the TV causing the issue? I have SONY-XR85Z9J. Currently I have it set for HDMI signal format set to Enhanced format.

That should be the correct setting. I also think Andy is correct regarding cables, and obviously the more components in a video chain the more risk of something not connecting correctly given the sensitivities related to EDID, and HDMI issues in general.

I do acknowledge that some of these infrequent issues are frustrating to all of us, and I suspect most, if not all, of us have suffered from these video (or audio) dropouts during playback.

One of my systems in another house had a setup that was K Source > VP > Receiver > Display (and external speakers). I would on occasion get both audio and video dropouts, and not always at the same time. After many hours troubleshooting these issues I finally gave up and removed the VP and Receiver (for the external speakers) and sent the Source directly to the display (100" Sony flat panel). I have not experienced a single dropout of either audio or video after making the change. Obviously we cannot do that for all setups, and especially if we want the best audio in our rooms because at a minimum we need Receivers in the chain.

In the end, I decided to use the best components and cables available, setup the systems as best I can (including utilizing the help of others more skilled than me), and then live with the results, including the occasional dropouts. I'm just no longer interested in spending hours and hours to chase these infrequent issues, as aggravating as they can be during playback.

If someone is experiencing a lot of dropouts, that's obviously a problem, and the cause needs to be identified. One other possibility in these cases is a drive going bad. We tend to focus on the possible causes being discussed in this thread, but "read/write" errors on a drive can also cause dropouts and or video freezes or disconnects. This is why I favor having Support take a look on their end.

Jim

Everyone has their favorites, but that seems to change regularly, I've been using Ethereal for quite awhile without any issues. You can check their descriptions to see what you prefer based on your equipment.

There are many other quality cables as well, but that's the brand I chose and they work well in all of my setups. (I have a variety of their cables, some active, most passive.)

Jim

I’ve also used Ethereal with success as well as Chromis Fiberoptics (for longer runs).

One place you can look for potential alternatives to those two brands (and yes they are listed there as well) is DPL Labs website: DPL Full 4K Product Certification | DPL Laboratories, Inc.. They are an industry leader and have a stringent certification program. You’ll want to look for a cable certified as “4K-18G-DC” if you’re sending a full 18Gbps signal.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did want to mention too that Jim is correct that a failing hard drive can cause dropouts, but in your case I doubt that is the culprit considering you said audio continues without issue. If there were read errors on an HDD, I’d expect the audio to also be dropping. Most likely your issue is with a video cable or possibly a setting (although it sounds like you already ruled that out that).

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like there is lot more (see Pdf TS guide from Marantz) to understand about this issue. Thanks for all your help. I will keep all informed as I learn more.

Attachments

• marantzhdmi.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Back