• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Video Cutting Out on Strato

dag39c

Hi all,

I have a new Strato (had it for a few months and this problem started basically right away) and often times the video feed cuts out for a second or so during playback--it's only for a very short period of time but it happens repeatedly during most any movie I play--sometimes even multiple times a minute. The audio doesn't cut out at all. I have audio and video running through the same HDMI cable to my AV Receiver. No other video feeds do this (i.e., cable box, blu ray player, apple TV) but it continually happens with the Strato. Has anyone else had this issue? I have a Marantz pre-pro and my display is an LG UST projector.

Thanks,
Dan

I had a similar problem whit my Strato, and purchased a better quality HDMI cable (Ruipro), and never had the problem again.

Unfortunately, identifying the problem in these cases is very difficult. There are so many reasons for audio and video dropouts that we usually resolve them by the trial and error method, and even then there is no guarantee they won't return. The problem could be anywhere in the network, could be content related (bad download), or could be a component issue (unusual). As Ironwill noted, cables are good place to start when it comes to dropouts, but I normally advise K owners to do the "no cost" option first, which is to fully delete the movie and re-download, or re-import, the movie. Given that you are seeing this with "most any movie," the delete/re-import/download process probably won't help, and it will likely be the cables, or some other condition in your setup (i.e. cable length, etc.).

I do know that some LG displays (not sure about PJ's), have had problems with some content from K components, including UHD/HDR, some of this is EDID related, so you might want to check with K Support on that, and have them look at your logs to see if anything stands out as a problem.

Jim

Hi all,

I have a new Strato (had it for a few months and this problem started basically right away) and often times the video feed cuts out for a second or so during playback--it's only for a very short period of time but it happens repeatedly during most any movie I play--sometimes even multiple times a minute. The audio doesn't cut out at all. I have audio and video running through the same HDMI cable to my AV Receiver. No other video feeds do this (i.e., cable box, blu ray player, apple TV) but it continually happens with the Strato. Has anyone else had this issue? I have a Marantz pre-pro and my display is an LG UST projector.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan, what is your model of Marantz....? And does this only happen when viewing HDR content and nothing else....? (Been dealing with a similar issue with a client and been working with Kaleidescape engineering on it...)

Just to add to the data. I have a Strato S hooked to a LG C9 OLED through a Denon X2700, and I also see dropouts.

I have tried multiple HDMI cables, and that isn't the problem. Reducing the HDMI bandwidth to 13.5gbps from 18gbps solved my issue, but I would still like to know what is causing it. I would also like to have it set at 18gbps, but as far as I can tell, I'm not really losing anything. Output is 4:2:0 instead of 4:4:4, but movies are encoded as 4:2:0 anyway.

EDIT: I also have a Co-Star Switch in the HDMI path.

Just to add to the data. I have a Strato S hooked to a LG C9 OLED through a Denon X2700, and I also see dropouts.

I have tried multiple HDMI cables, and that isn't the problem. Reducing the HDMI bandwidth to 13.5gbps from 18gbps solved my issue, but I would still like to know what is causing it. I would also like to have it set at 18gbps, but as far as I can tell, I'm not really losing anything. Output is 4:2:0 instead of 4:4:4, but movies are encoded as 4:2:0 anyway.
Yes, I had the same issue of flickering and drop outs and this was more or less my exact experience. Got fancy, expensive new cables but before connecting them I reduced to 13.5gbps in the video settings on the player which fixed it completely and as I‘m pretty sure I can’t see any loss of quality with my particular eyes and set up, I decided not to bother with new cables after all and just enjoy the movies!

Dan, what is your model of Marantz....? And does this only happen when viewing HDR content and nothing else....? (Been dealing with a similar issue with a client and been working with Kaleidescape engineering on it...)

This thread has inspired me to look into my issue again. I've been living with the 13.5gbps setting and kind of forgot about it.

This is something that I need to look at, too. I've only noticed it with HDR content, but I have very few UHD downloads. I can try out a UHD download and see if I see the same issue.

I was also planning to hook the output of the Co-Star switch straight to the TV and get audio to the AVR with eARC to see if I can rule out the Denon as the problem, but I never got around to it.

This thread has inspired me to look into my issue again. I've been living with the 13.5gbps setting and kind of forgot about it.

This is something that I need to look at, too. I've only noticed it with HDR content, but I have very few UHD downloads. I can try out a UHD download and see if I see the same issue.

I was also planning to hook the output of the Co-Star switch straight to the TV and get audio to the AVR with eARC to see if I can rule out the Denon as the problem, but I never got around to it.
For what its worth, my Co-Star is hooked up straight to the TV (also an LG OLED) and I had the same problems as you at 18gbps.

Super interesting responses. Thanks. It's a Marantz 7706 and it could be an issue with its 4k passthrough or my projector, but since it only happens with Strato I doubt it. I've also swapped cables and that didn't do anything. I do believe it only happens with HDR content. I'll try the 13.5GB bandwidth but that's kind of a disappointing fix as a lot of the "sales job" of K is "big bandwidth." I do have a problem with apple TV sometimes not showing an input signal but it's quite a different issue and therefore (maybe?) a different issue.

Super interesting responses. Thanks. It's a Marantz 7706 and it could be an issue with its 4k passthrough or my projector, but since it only happens with Strato I doubt it. I've also swapped cables and that didn't do anything. I do believe it only happens with HDR content. I'll try the 13.5GB bandwidth but that's kind of a disappointing fix as a lot of the "sales job" of K is "big bandwidth." I do have a problem with apple TV sometimes not showing an input signal but it's quite a different issue and therefore (maybe?) a different issue.
So......if anything like the issue I'm working with, the problem is not with the Strato. If you connect Strato straight to the display it will work with no problem. It is something in the Marantz and how it sends video out to the display. I'll DM you...

I think pushing all that data, at these ever increasing speeds, is the cause for most of these problems.

@jmdls, regarding the Marantz issue, there are many Marantz owners on this forum, so if you learn of a problem/fix related to any of this, please post. Thanks!

Jim

So......if anything like the issue I'm working with, the problem is not with the Strato. If you connect Strato straight to the display it will work with no problem. It is something in the Marantz and how it sends video out to the display. I'll DM you...
Appreciate the DM (just responded via email). I’m going to try the separate HDMI to the display.

Is this only happening with the 2020 Denon/Marantz models? It seems that this particular HDMI chipset is problematic. There are also problems with passing through 4K@120Hz from the new XBox Series X (but PS5 works).

I am having similar issues with my Strato connected to LG OLED with Ruipro cable; tried everything

I am having similar issues with my Strato connected to LG OLED with Ruipro cable; tried everything
problem solved; I sent an email to K support at same time I posted this and within hours K support wrote back that my Terra server was running at 100Mbps vs 1000Mbps; I switched ports on the Netgear gigabit switch; same issue. Then I replaced the ethernet cable and got 2 lights on the switch indicating 1000Mbps speed restored, and so far my issue has been resolved thanks to quick, excellent service from K

Interesting read. I’m having audio and video dropouts connecting to PJ through a lumagen. As far as I can tell so far the problem only really occurs with the KS but my system still has a lot of setting up being done.

By indicating the problem is with the "KS," I assume you connected it directly to the PJ (taking the Lumagen out of the chain) and still had the dropouts??

Jim

I have since. I noticed the audio also hadn’t been used for audio too so I hooked up the audio directly to the Trinnov and the Video directly to the PJ and it’s been running perfectly that way on both UHD and HDR. Maybe a handshake issue with the lumagen or something but will be the ol’ trial and error to find out what and why

Have a look at the 'Passback' settings on the Lumagen menu as I was having problems as when all plugged directly into my Datasat all was OK but going via the Lumagen I would have sound issues (my audio processor isn't on Output 1) when changing audio sources / codecs but once I made the 'Passback' change all has been OK so far.

From the Lumagen Pro manual

Section 9 – Audio Configuration Section 9 – Audio Configuration The Radiance video processor supports the HDMI 2.0 audio formats. This means that Dolby Digital TrueHD™ and DTS Master-Audio™ Bitstream formats are available. By default, the audio EDID from the device on HDMI Output 1 is passed back to all source devices. If the audio processor is not connected to Output 1, or to help with any power-on order or EDID issues, the Audio EDID reported back to sources can be manually selected as follows: MENU 0745 Report 2 channel PCM at 44.1 and 48 KHz in EDID back to sources MENU 0746 Report 2 channel PCM at 44.1 and 48 KHz, and DD 5.1, in EDID back to sources MENU 0747 Report all HDMI audio modes, except ATMOS and DTS-X, in EDID back to sources MENU 0748 Report all HDMI audio modes in EDID back to sources MENU 0943 Report common HDMI audio modes from Radiance EDID back to sources (feature toggle) MENU 0944 Report basic HDMI audio modes (2-Ch PCM and DD 5.1) back to sources (feature toggle) You can also select which audio modes to report back to sources in the Options menu independently for each input

I just wanted to add some info to this thread. This comment here sounds like the issue that I have been dealing with.

It wasn’t just a bandwidth issue. If I also allowed display mode changes (24 hz) with bandwidth limited to 13.5 gbps, I would still see the issue. It seems like a problem with 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 HDR content.

I have also seen many other issues with my 2020 Denon. While watching my Apple TV, the TV would occasionally lose the video signal, but audio would keep playing. I also have frequent HDMI handshake issues.

My conclusion is that the HDMI chips in the 2020 Denon/Marantz lineup are garbage. There was supposedly an update to models produced after a certain date, but I have no experience there. I have been running with the output of the Co-Star switch to the TV, and audio is being sent to the AVR through eARC.

Back