• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Video artifact in American Underdog?

jmdls

Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Hi! I watched American Underdog last night, and there is a part at about 26:54 where they are in a bar and there is a neon beer sign in the upper-right-corner. This has some really weird black and blue circles and blobs that appear on it. It cuts away and shows the same sign with same artifacts a few seconds later. I rewound and it plays the same way both times. Then the sign appears again later in the film -- same sign, same bar, nearish the end during the Ravens game -- with the same blobby blue-black. So I'm curious if it is either a video artifact or maybe just something bizarre with that sign. Does anyone else have this where they can check? Thanks!

The second instance is at 1:39:13; here is a pic below. None of the other neon signs do this; and I've never seen another instance of this...
IMG_8207.jpg

Thanks for the report, the timestamps and the sample image. I've escalated this to our content team for them to take a look at it. Was this the HDR or the UHD version? I'm assuming HDR but I'd like to confirm.
Would you also PM me your server serial number in case we need to take a look at your logs?

Thanks, John! It was definitely the HDR version. Downloaded on Friday 2/4, watched on Saturday. I'll PM you my server s/n.

The blotching is definitely part of the source material and not introduced by Kaleidescape's encode.
Thanks, John! Would you agree it is likely a gamut clipping error captured in camera? (I've never seen anything like it before...)

Thanks, John! Would you agree it is likely a gamut clipping error captured in camera? (I've never seen anything like it before...)
Consulting with the video experts here (of which I am not one) they agree that it certainly looks like a gamut error.

Back