• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Vault as a modified speed-reader?

iansilv

What about taking the speed-reader and modifying it so that the three spindles are used as stacks of disks:

1. Disks waiting for import

2. Disks imported that must be kept as recorded in the "Vault"

3. Disks already imported but not put in to the vault, including any disks that could not be imported because of damage, or DVDs, CDs, or Blurays the user selected to not store in the vault?

That way you could just put a stack of mixed disks on spindle one, and set the thing to load them all by default settings- all import, keep blurays and spit out dvds and cds, or tell it that none of the disks on the spindle are to be kept in the vault, or specify what disks by number need to be excluded from the vault, if you wanted to get that picky.

When you needed to remove a disk from the vault, you go in to the web management portal, check the disk to be removed from the vault, check if you want to delete it from the server too, and then just tell it to figure it out. The robot arm knows what disk is where according to number, so it removes disks from spindle 2 to spindle 1 until it gets to the one you want to remove, removes the disk you want to remove from spindle 2 to spindle 3, and then moves all disks from spindle 1 back to the vault of spindle 2, checking the identity of each one as it goes in the disk reader tray to be sure none were removed.

As long as it has a glass door for me to watch, this would satisfy the ADD side of me. :D

And I could just dump a stack of disks on spindle one and walk away.

I think its a great idea. If I were to get this vault device Id put it in a place that would be easy to load. But I don't currently have any space for such a large object.

I guess the speed reader 2 has capacity for 140 disks per spindle- if they could add a second spindle, that's 280 disks. That has to be enough for most people, at least initially.

I think so long as the Vault is over 200 discs it will be fine- not enough for me but I think to pay a big number (again my own assumed price based on past hardware from K) for a changer if it holds only say 150 discs its just crazy enough that the whole setup goes from "you know this could work" to "thats nuts" in my mind.

I don't think that would work. Way to slow to verify a disk in the spindle if it is 75 disks down and it cannot pull off of spindle #1. Also no way to guarantee that you cannot just take the discs out after being loaded.

I expect we will see something similar to the original powerfile carousel. It is ironic that the Powerfile would load DVDs faster than the speedreader (although the speedreader smokes the carousel on CD imports).

I couldn't find a quote online so I don't know, but I expect it will cost about the same as a Sony 400 disc changer with the decimal place moved to the right a little bit.

I had the definite impression that they were working on two paths, one that *may* come out first and one that would come out later but be the "ultimate" solution. They kept saying "at least 100 discs" as if they had that model (reluctantly) near completion, but Malcolm said specifically that the device would be a disappointment if it didn't hold at least 200 and preferably 300 or more. I think it will come down to the pressure to bring it to market; will we see a 100 disc "patch" until the 300 disc vault arrives, or will they be able to just come straight to market with the bigger version....

I personally would swallow a Vault that was purely that. A Vault.

I hope K are listening in here... (im sure they are)...

I would like to see it hold no less than 100 BD discs, be as small as possible in form factor and not a complicated bulk loader but purely a means of storage to appease the studios. Oh and out very quickly indeed.

Rgds

Panamar

I hope they are listening too, and am certain they are.

So everybody keep in mind that we're all still way ahead of the game here. Initially K set our expectations that these new players would play BDs but likely not be able to import them to storage upon initial release. They would be "Play only".

Their new release does more. We've got the new and better BD/DVD/CD player. We've got BD content import to our servers, even the older/slower 5Us. A better looking GUI, and an aggressive upgrade offer for existing K clients... with the 1 short-term caveat of having to have the BD disc in one of our player trays for the system to play it to any player on our systems (thanks to the movie mafia).

Here's the good news: The code to play and import BDs is written and released. The code to recognize the presence of a BD disc is written and released. We all just waiting on the next box that will house multiple BDs.

K is not a company that shares much info until release. But they do listen carefully to their customers and dealers. It seems to me that we're not in for a very long wait here.

Well, I don't know about the wait time but I am cool with the release right now.

Really, this kludgy work around could be solved very quickly if Hollywood would get off their ass and get MC done, but it isn't Kaleidescape we are waiting on for that, it is Hollywood/MPAA.

The only thing I think is wrong is whether this requirement is short term or not. I think the truth is we just dont know what the term is therefore you have to assume its going to be a while.

If we are lucky, the MPAA will work out MC and have a mechanism in place for the legacy BR discs and by the time the vault is ready to ship it would no longer be needed.

Yeah, I do not get that lucky either. Maybe we should try and get a system in Scott Baio's hands. I hear he gets lucky all the time.

What I heard is the MPAA does not want MC and will never do MC and that is why you get the digital copy discs. I've heard this from a variety of people over the past year. They basically say its game over.

If we are lucky, the MPAA will work out MC and have a mechanism in place for the legacy BR discs and by the time the vault is ready to ship it would no longer be needed.

Yeah, I do not get that lucky either. Maybe we should try and get a system in Scott Baio's hands. I hear he gets lucky all the time.

Any post with a Chachi reference gets a "thumbs up" from me;)

After pondering for a while, that was my thought...The Vault is being referred to as the solution for "disc in tray", but maybe they are hoping that MC gets solved before that and the Vault ends up being simply the BR replacement to the original speed reader? This way they are covered if MC drags on and on, but if not, they haven't really wasted any development effort, since they need a new speedreader anyway?

So if Hollywood gets their act together and the MC gets implemented (not...holding...breath), the end-user won't need the vault, but dealers will get it to replace their DVD speed readers...maybe?

It isn't MC though. It is MMC, MANDATORY managed copy. They are not allowed to say no way.

It may be mandatory but what have they been doing so far? How many years has BR been out? Im sure there is a ton of legalese we have no idea about...

I personally would swallow a Vault that was purely that. A Vault.

I hope K are listening in here... (im sure they are)...

I would like to see it hold no less than 100 BD discs, be as small as possible in form factor and not a complicated bulk loader but purely a means of storage to appease the studios. Oh and out very quickly indeed.

Rgds

Panamar
I'd just as soon they went with a 4U factor holding 400-500, that was a fairly spartan caddy/hard-sleeve system to facilitate holding as many discs as possible. Anything as small as only 100 discs should come with the player.

Well, you would have to have a BluRay drive in the loader to read the disc so it could verify what it was. Once you have the drive and carousel in place, why not make it a bulk loader as that really would be just a software change.

I wonder how hard it would be to take an entry level powerfile and convert it to have a bluray drive in it. Then the issue would be if such a device would pass Kaleidescape's fairly rigorous QC standards.

Back