• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Value of M500

Roderick Spode

I have a M500 that is having trouble with its network interface card (or something) where it gives frequent "trouble reading movie" errors and pauses playback for a few seconds. We have tried everything, and nothing has fixed the problem. It will still load discs just fine. So my question is, what is it worth if I were to sell it for disc importing/cataloguing?

Are you sure it's the M500? Do you have other Players that can play the same content without any problems? I ask because those symptoms can also be from a bad ethernet cable, bad switch port, or bad server drive.

Jim

It has been on two different networks with two different switches and routers. All cables have been changed multiple times. The other players can play the content at the same time (even tested on a split display) when the M500 hangs up. I wish it was something else but the player seems to be at fault. It still plays content but when it starts to glitch it is frustrating and we usually just switch to another player. I thought it might be somewhat valuable for someone to use as a means to catalog content, but I guess they would have to have a premiere system for that to be helpful.

It has been on two different networks with two different switches and routers. All cables have been changed multiple times. The other players can play the content at the same time (even tested on a split display) when the M500 hangs up. I wish it was something else but the player seems to be at fault. It still plays content but when it starts to glitch it is frustrating and we usually just switch to another player. I thought it might be somewhat valuable for someone to use as a means to catalog content, but I guess they would have to have a premiere system for that to be helpful.

For reference, I bought a fully functional one in good cosmetic condition for $725 including all fees and shipping in June.

Premiere units are old. I had to re-cap and change some surface mount components on my Premiere 3U server recently. Parts are really cheap but labor is very expensive. I am an ECE and pretty good at these things so it doesn’t cost me much other than my time.

The M500 has a few less electrolytic capacitors than the M300. However the built in switch mode power supply is sophisticated and all regulation is on it.

If you have another functional M500, you can swap power supplies and see if that does the trick. It is internal but it’s literally a few screws and a socket. However replacement power supplies are difficult to come by.

I am working on designing an external power supply conversion kit for the M500. I also have a linear/switching hybrid power supply in the works. This is a hobby of mine so the progress is extremely slow. I wouldn’t expect to complete them for many months. On the positive side, they are cost no object, throw the kitchen sink in too kind of designs. If there is interest, I would consider making a few extra units.

Back