• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

V E R T I C A L SCROLLING COVER ART

Thrang

Its been years people have been asking for this... just add vertical-only scrolling cover art... it is insane to have to scroll left and right....

There needs to be other improvements to the cover art GUI (sorting, filtering, genre, hyperlinks for talent/related content, etc), but can we start with this ASAP. IT CANNOT BE HARD TO CODE!

Make it an option for the sideway's-preferenced....

THANKS

Mine scrolls vertically and horizontally in the cover art view and always has.
Of course but you HAVE to scroll horizontally to see you entire library which is dumb and cumbersome and doesn’t work well

There should be an option where it is vertical only, with the library contents constrained to a fixed width

There are some benefits to horizontal. Not sure I would switch to vertical only especially when sorting A-Z. For large libraries, allows you to skip ahead in the alphabet vertically and then scroll horizontally to get to the title. Guess this could be an option. SJ

There are some benefits to horizontal. Not sure I would switch to vertical only especially when sorting A-Z. For large libraries, allows you to skip ahead in the alphabet vertically and then scroll horizontally to get to the title. Guess this could be an option. SJ
I had written to K a while ago about other enhancements for filtering, sorting and searching as well as grouping for multi-part films as well as genre, as that’s needed too, but I don’t enjoy multi axis scrolling to find things

Anyway, yes, as noted, it should be an option for those that prefer the current method

if the Second Screen app could “control” the OSD, so the searching, sorting etc done on the app would be reflected on the OSD cover art shown that would be a nice way to deal with many of the needs - but I still would want the simple ability to browse visually and vertically

But was second screen deco’s anyway by K?

Of course but you HAVE to scroll horizontally to see you entire library which is dumb and cumbersome and doesn’t work well

There should be an option where it is vertical only, with the library contents constrained to a fixed width
Why do you say this? I always thought you could see your entire collection by scrolling one way. At least that’s what I do and always find what I am looking for. Now that you are bring this up it would be nice to know for sure.

John

Why do you say this? I always thought you could see your entire collection by scrolling one way. At least that’s what I do and always find what I am looking for. Now that you are bring this up it would be nice to know for sure.

John
You cannot - it scrolls but jumps coarsely through the alphabet - you have to scroll horizontally to “see what’s missing”

I didn’t see where previously you had said you were set up to scroll alphabetically. I always do the default way and can always get to the movie I want by scrolling in one direction. If I want to check alphabetically, I use either Collections or List view.

I can see how your request might be helpful.

The other request I would add to this is to be able to pick a collection and then do cover art view of these titles as can be done in the Second Screen app on the iPad.

John

Last edited:
There should be many things - one improvement would be the ability to have Cover Art Collections (K could define many, but users could also via the web interface) So perhaps The Godfather, Ironman, Avengers, Matrix etc are each represented by their own single cover art collection icons, and selecting it shows the titles within the collection (and perhaps a link to purchases available titles you don't already own) When you think about the number of "properties" that have multiple sequels, this could vastly reduce the clutter.

You might create a "Marvel" collection, and within that are "collections" for the various movies, and each one of those reveals the individual titles. However you do it, it would certainly add logic and order to libraries with many titles, and make a more efficient and easy to navigate OSD

This is exactly my request! It is what I do on the 2nd Screen app but would be really nice to have for the OSD.

John

Hey K, still hoping for this - no one who uses the interface things the horizontal scrolling for Cover Art OSD makes sense. Everyone scrolls up and down and misses most of the titles.

Can you please add this?

And please fix the iPadOS app Remote search feature OSD results. It puts the results in one row at the top of the screen, so if there 56 results for a search, you are scrolling sideways like a moron.

AND PLEASE ADD genre collections automatically (Comedy, Sci Fi, Drama, etc) One should AT LEAST be able to choose from a list of pre-populated genres in cover art view

You need to significantly improve the user experience with the GUI

Thanks

no one who uses the interface things the horizontal scrolling for Cover Art OSD makes sense. Everyone scrolls up and down and misses most of the titles.
I actually prefer the ability to scroll horizontally and vertically as I find it easier to quickly find what I'm looking for. Then again, I am not using the alphabetical sort which may result in a different opinion. I can certainly appreciate others wanting to navigate their libraries differently.

Count me in for a vote to see my collections in a covers view on the TV.

I actually prefer the ability to scroll horizontally and vertically as I find it easier to quickly find what I'm looking for. Then again, I am not using the alphabetical sort which may result in a different opinion. I can certainly appreciate others wanting to navigate their libraries differently.

Count me in for a vote to see my collections in a covers view on the TV.
Yes I use alphabetical as I think many do because the flyover of cover art is very annoying once you’ve gotten past the dazzle

As we are all “trained” to scroll vertically in virtually every other gui, it is grossly counterintuitive to force horizontal only (they could offer both to be scroll-agnostic)

Yeah. Agree that the cover art user interface was a horrible idea. Very difficult to navigate your collection.

I use the list view and even that need some work. I own the fast and the furious collection and 2 Fast 2 Furious is all the way on the top. Fast five is somewhere. The fast and the furious is further down, etc.

Having some sort of grouping is needed

Yeah. Agree that the cover art user interface was a horrible idea. Very difficult to navigate your collection.

I use the list view and even that need some work. I own the fast and the furious collection and 2 Fast 2 Furious is all the way on the top. Fast five is somewhere. The fast and the furious is further down, etc.

Having some sort of grouping is needed
Use list view to find one of the F&F titles then go to cover art view and you will get them all arranged together.

John

True. But that’s just a work around for a $4000 equipment not including the cost of Terra storage. I’m not dying to watch the F&F movies and only using that as an example. It will do for now until K comes up with something better.

It seems like this user request, like most (all?), will not be implemented - or even acknowledged. CEDIA was an opportunity for Kaleidescape to demonstrate that they listen to their clients (as continually demonstrated by companies like Trinnov and Lumagen), but nothing was announced in the way of software enhancements.

I have a request as well (FWIW). It is a great feature to be able to extract an Excel file of the movies I have on my server. But I can't find a way to do the same for those I currently own, but are NOT downloaded. Nor can I do the same for those I have cataloged.

Changing the user interface is likely not a simple task. Seems like the interfaces of my Trinnov Alt32 and Lumagen Pro have not changed since purchasing them. 😆

Back