• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Upgrading from Grandfathered Cinema 1 to new 1U

mpierson

Hi All,

I'm a new Kaleidescape owner and really enjoying the system. Having been a long term tinkerer with DIY alternatives, I can really say there is no comparison. This forum is a great resource too and I'm hoping someone can help with my query!

I have 2 linked Cinema Ones, both grandfathered, which I purchased second hand. I have a large collection, so have run into low disc space pretty soon and have no further expansion options. Also, the lack of protection for my imported films is always a concern. So I've asked my dealer where I would stand from a DVD importing perspective, if I traded one of the C1s in for a new 1U. He's been very helpful, but his answer surprised me as he seems to suggest that this is decided based on your registered account, rather than the components in your system. This wasn't the impression I got from reading various discussions on the forum.

His reply was:

"I have been speaking to Kaleidescape regarding your possible upgrade options. As your original Cinema One was registered before November 2014, your account has the rights to copy DVD's without the disc being present once imported. Should you wish to upgrade to a 1U Server this would stay the same for your Premier System (M700 / 1U). The Cinema One does not pair with the Premier System and should you wish to sell on your Cinema Ones, they would need to be de-registered to your account, so the new owner would require the presence of discs. "

Are forum members with knowledge of this process in agreement with the above? If not any advice on where I would stand?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Although it is true that splitting an existing system can cause restrictions on DVD importing for certain components, in your case this is NOT a problem. You are upgrading to a Premiere system, and your additional C1 (technically Grandfathered) will not interface with your new 1U. You can absolutely sell that C1 and it will be able able to import/playback DVD's without any problems.

(I did confirm that both of your C1's were separate purchases, and each is Grandfathered.)

Jim

No problem, welcome to the forum!:)

Jim

How to determine grandfathering and analog sunset status

Hi:

Everyone here talks about grandfathering and sometimes about analog sunsets. I understand what these terms mean but I have never seen a definition that allows one to look at a K model and serial number and determine whether it fits these standards. Everyone using the marketplace could benefit from this.

It would be great if we could get a list of each server model and serial number sequence that would define whether such a server is grandfathered or not, assuming a single server system. Is that possible?

Similarly, for the analog HD output sunset for Blu-ray playback, this would be useful as well.

Is anyone up for this? Maybe it could be part of the Sticky notes eventually.

I don't think you are going to be able to see if something is grandfathered by the serial number because it is a "system" that is grandfathered. Think of that as an account. If you have an account and you sell your server but keep your account, your old server is not grandfathered. If you sell the entire thing - hardware and your account tied to that system, then it is.

Also, I could buy a brand new 3U server and add it to one of my accounts and that is grandfathered even though it has a new serial number and it a new server - it is my account that is old. So, you will have to ask if a server is grandfathered or not when it is for sale and if so, they would have to sell their grandfathered account status with the server for it to be transferable to you as Kaleidescape cannot create new grandfathered systems.

The sunset rule, however, it tied to the age of the equipment and perhaps they could have a set number where all players under this serial number are pre-sunset but Kaleidescape would need to give that information to us.

they would have to sell their grandfathered account status with the server for it to be transferable to you

Thanks for the initial explanation. This is the part we should discuss some more for clarity. What does it mean to sell a grandfathered account status and how would one do that? Do you mean that the seller deregisters the system from his account and the buyer then registers it to his own? How is the grandfathered capability actually transferred to the new user if not by serial number?

If a server is registered to an account, does the K web interface always show this and where does one de-register it?

I have just set up my first used starter system and it is working well, allowing DVD imports and integrating easily into my control system. I am trying to understand more of the specifics and limitations as I work to expand it.

That is correct. I have never deregistered an account but I have purchased a grandfathered system and the seller had to transfer his account to me.

Once you have a grandfathered system, you don't need to worry about the status of servers you buy to expand it as they are just components of your system that already has DVD import capability.

Is there a writeup on how to do the transfer? Is there something in the web ui that allows it or does it require a phone call to Kscape?

My recently purchased system is already importing DVDs and I don't see anything that indicates it is assigned to any account but I would certainly want to maintain the grandfathered status.

Go to the "Settings" tab on the Home page of the PC/Mac user interface (my-kaleidescape...) and at the very bottom is the Registration tab. Use that to de-register the system if it is still in someone else's name, and then Register in your name.

Registration is both a way of identifying a particular Server (system) with the owner, and also the mechanism for executing the Service and License Agreement.

Regarding Grandfathered status, any Server "sold" prior to the November 2014 is "thought" to be grandfathered, but this may or may not be the case. The only way to know for sure is to check the serial number with K Support (preferably by email). The reason these earlier Server's may or may not be Grandfathered is because there are a couple of scenario's that negate that grandfathered status. One occurs when a Server was purchased as part of a multi-server system. In this case there is usually only One Server that is identified as the Grandfathered Server, and the others are just a part of that Server's "system." The other scenario can occur if for some reason someone already "transferred" the grandfathered "system" status to a newly acquired Server (system).

Point is, under the settlement, no additional grandfathered "systems" can be created, so there is a finite number of "systems" out here, some are single Server systems, and some are multi-server systems, and only K can tell you for sure if the Server being purchased has the Grandfathered status (other than, as in your case, you go online and it is able to import DVD, so my comments are directed at someone still shopping for a used Server).

Jim

Thank you, Jim.

I had a great talk with Jim today. As many of you already know, he is a wonderful guy, renaissance man, and a Kaleidescape dealer who is always happy to discuss the myriad business and technical details that we users want to know when investing in Kaleidescape systems. Happy holidays to Jim and his family and thanks for all the good you do.

On the other hand, he really should be having everyone here over to his place for a holiday party to ogle a Kaleidescape image on one of his amazing projectors;)

Back