• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Upgrades and Other Promotions

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
This thread will detail upgrade programs and promotions currently being offered by Kaleidescape. I will update this thread as required to keep it current, but please keep in mind that K reserves the right to cancel or modify these programs at anytime, with or without notice. Your dealer is always the best source for current K promotions and pricing.

Current as of 2/20/2012:

MODULAR DISC VAULT TRADE-UP PROGRAM:
Purchase a DV700 (not M700), return a Modular Disc Vault (MDV), and receive a 20% credit off of the dealer price of the DV700.

DISK CARTRIDGE TRADE-UP PROGRAM:
Purchase a new set of larger disk cartridges (if you have a 3U, your upgrade option is either for eight (8) 3TB disks, or fourteen (14) 3TB disks). If you have a 1U your options include four 2TB, or four 3TB disks. In addition to the cost of the disks, K will collect a small deposit for the disks to be returned and a refurbed replacement Server they will send you. The owner replicates the content from the old Server to the new refurbed Server and then sends the old Server with the old disks back to K. K will issue a refund for the deposit. (CinemaOne's can be upgraded to 1TB disks.) Additional benefit of getting a new two year warranty on the disks and Server (upgradeable to 5 years).

1U SERVER TRADE-UP PROGRAM:
Purchase a new 3U Server in either of the 3TB configurations noted above (8 or 14 disks). Replicate the content from the 1U to the 3U, then send the 1U back to K. In exchange for sending back the 1U, K provides a credit for 25% of the cost of the 3U.
5U SERVER TRADE-UP PROGRAM:
Purchase either a new 1U or 3U Server in one of two disk configurations, Replicate the content into the new Server and return the old 5U w/disks to K to receive a 20% credit off the cost of the new Server.
M-CLASS PLAYER TRADE-UP PROGRAM:
Trade in any working Movie Player, Movie Player 2, 1080p Player, or 1080p Mini-Player, and receive a trade-in credit of 25% of the cost of a new M300 or M500.

Please keep in mind that individual dealers determine the final cost of these promotions. For additional details on these programs please contact your dealer.:)

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
DISK CARTRIDGE TRADE-UP PROGRAM:
If you have a 1U your options include four 2TB, or four 3TB disks. In addition to the cost of the disks, K will collect a small deposit for the disks to be returned and a refurbed replacement Server they will send you. The owner replicates the content from the old Server to the new refurbed Server and then sends the old Server with the old disks back to K. K will issue a refund for the deposit. (CinemaOne's can be upgraded to 1TB disks.) Additional benefit of getting a new two year warranty on the disks and Server (upgradeable to 5 years).

1U SERVER TRADE-UP PROGRAM:
Purchase a new 3U Server in either of the 3TB configurations noted above (8 or 14 disks). Replicate the content from the 1U to the 3U, then send the 1U back to K. In exchange for sending back the 1U, K provides a credit for 25% of the cost of the 3U.

So to clarify your point from the other thread, both programs are in play, even with a non-full 1U.

Correct.

Jim

I can't tell that there is any official upgrade program from a C1 to either a 1U or 3U. Am I missing anything on this?

John

No Sir, you're not missing anything. Currently, there is no Server upgrade program for the C1. There is only the upgrade to 1 TB's available (Disk Upgrade).

Jim

Can you trade in two 1U servers towards one 3U server and get 50% off?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you trade in two 1U servers towards one 3U server and get 50% off?

:D Nice idea,.....but unfortunately not. You can however trade in two 1U's for two 3U's....with the appropriate credit.

Jim

This is great, thanks for doing this Jim.

One question - on the disk trade-up program, what credit do you get for returned disks?

One question - on the disk trade-up program, what credit do you get for returned disks?
Josh - I'm interested in an answer to your question as well since I have a 3U with 14 2TB drives that are less than 6 months old. I suspect the answer is zero credit for the drives, which makes upgrading from 2TB less attractive than upgrading from 1TB drives since 1TB are likely out of warranty. Might be interesting if K offered zero credit, but tacked on remaining warranty period, but that would likely create an accounting nightmare at their end.

To go from 2TB to 3TB, if you're in my situation, probably involves getting a new additional server with 3TB for adding content, or trying to sell used drives (2TBs) after re-initialization.

Jay

There is no monetary credit for the drives that are returned in the program. The process is:

You order new larger drives.
K ships you a new/refurbed Server (same model as your Server, 1U/3U,etc) with the new larger drives preinstalled.
You replicate the content from your old Server to the new Server.
You send your old Server with disks to K.

The benefits are that K is helping you move to larger drives by sending the replacement Server to aid in replication (otherwise, you use the "intentional failed disk method," not recommended, and with additional risks), and K provides you with a new two year warranty, extendable to five years, on both the Server and drives. Yes Jay, any remaining warranty on the old Server and disks is transferred and added to the two years on the new components.

Obviously, this is a bigger benefit to those with expired warranties on Servers and disks.

As most here already know, K no longer extends warranties that have expired. There was a time when back dating a warranty was permitted, but those days are gone, so the disk, or Server upgrade programs offer one way to get back under warranty.

Jim

There is no monetary credit for the drives that are returned in the program. The process is:

You order new larger drives.
K ships you a new/refurbed Server (same model as your Server, 1U/3U,etc) with the new larger drives preinstalled.
You replicate the content from your old Server to the new Server.
You send your old Server with disks to K.

The benefits are that K is helping you move to larger drives by sending the replacement Server to aid in replication (otherwise, you use the "intentional failed disk method," not recommended, and with additional risks), and K provides you with a new two year warranty, extendable to five years, on both the Server and drives. Yes Jay, any remaining warranty on the old Server and disks is transferred and added to the two years on the new components.

Obviously, this is a bigger benefit to those with expired warranties on Servers and disks.

As most here already know, K no longer extends warranties that have expired. There was a time when back dating a warranty was permitted, but those days are gone, so the disk, or Server upgrade programs offer one way to get back under warranty.

Jim

This was the main benefit to me, my 1U & 1 TB disks were expiring, so I was at a crossroads of paying $1400 for a 2 year extension ($700 per year total for server ($400) and 4 disks ($75 per)) and NO additional storage or $3900 for a refurbed with 2 year warranty and double capacity. Fair trade-off for turning in the disks (and of course the ease of replication since you don't send the old one back until replicated - otherwise I guess you would have to "rent" a chassis to perform the replication)

"Renting" a chassis for replication would be interesting. A 1U server still can replicate fairly quickly. A fully loaded 3U with 2TB drives takes roughly 3 1/2 weeks to replicate. It will probably take 5 weeks to replicate a 3U server with 3TB drives when that time comes.

1U to 3U program

"Purchase a new 3U Server in either of the 3TB configurations noted above (8 or 14 disks). Replicate the content from the 1U to the 3U, then send the 1U back to K. In exchange for sending back the 1U, K provides a credit for 25% of the cost of the 3U."

A few questions on this program.

1) When you trade the 1U in, is this with drives? I wouldn't mind wiping the 4 2TBs and re-using them since they are under warranty and adding them to the 3Us open 6 slots.

2) I am assuming that the licenses that are for a Kscape system are server based; does this transfer over to the new unit 3U or does the 3U come with the MOVIE-ADD, and MUSIC-ADD licenses these days?

3) Is the 25% calculated off of MSRP/LIST or discounted price?

4) What is the MSRP/LIST of a KSERVER-5000-0450? the older KSERVER-5000-0300 seems to be $20995 as posted over on avsforum.

Cheers

"Purchase a new 3U Server in either of the 3TB configurations noted above (8 or 14 disks). Replicate the content from the 1U to the 3U, then send the 1U back to K. In exchange for sending back the 1U, K provides a credit for 25% of the cost of the 3U."

A few questions on this program.

1) When you trade the 1U in, is this with drives? I wouldn't mind wiping the 4 2TBs and re-using them since they are under warranty and adding them to the 3Us open 6 slots.

2) I am assuming that the licenses that are for a Kscape system are server based; does this transfer over to the new unit 3U or does the 3U come with the MOVIE-ADD, and MUSIC-ADD licenses these days?

3) Is the 25% calculated off of MSRP/LIST or discounted price?

4) What is the MSRP/LIST of a KSERVER-5000-0450? the older KSERVER-5000-0300 seems to be $20995 as posted over on avsforum.

Cheers

1. Yes, the drives are also returned to K. This is required to receive the discount, and the return of a deposit that is collected until the old server and drives are returned to K.

2. Yes, the movie and music licenses are transferred to the new Server. (They are actually part of the new Server).

3. The 25% discount is actually a "dealer" discount and is off of the dealer's cost, but assuming a full msrp sale, the discount would work out to be the same cost to the client.

4. $23,995 (these are the 3TB drive Servers).

Jim

Back