• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Update on release of kOS 7.2 and 7.3

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
K released the update below regarding the upcoming kOS 7.2 and 7.3 software updates.

Dear Kaleidescape Dealer,

We would like to give you an update on the status of the kOS 7.2 and 7.3 software releases for the Strato Movie Player.

As you know, kOS 7.2 will enable CinemaScape and lossless bitstream audio output on Strato. kOS 7.3 will enable DVD and Blu-ray disc playback from a Disc Server, and will allow Encore systems to support more than four players.

Although the development for each of these kOS releases is nearing completion, it’s going to require a little more time to obtain the necessary certifications from third parties. We expect the kOS 7.2 update to occur in May, and kOS 7.3 in June. As always, these kOS software updates will occur automatically.

Jim

Since the 7.2 update I am unable to download movies from the store on the Alto. Anyone else having this problem?

Since the 7.2 update I am unable to download movies from the store on the Alto. Anyone else having this problem?

There is a known issue that affects some Altos on first boot up after being upgraded. It is being actively investigated by our Engineering team and a fix is being worked on.

In the meantime, rebooting your Alto should clear the problem. If, after rebooting your Alto, downloads to it continue to fail, you should contact our Technical Support team for further assistance.

I saw that on my Strato: I went to the web GUI and it said internet connection was lost: rebooted the Ethernet switch and all good :)

Received by email today:

Dear Kaleidescape Strato owner,

We have three updates to share with you today.

kOS 7.2 has been released
The software rollout to customer systems will be completed this week. kOS 7.2 includes:

Support for lossless bitstream audio formats including Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD MA, and DTS:X
Kaleidescape’s unique CinemaScape feature, which allows Strato players to take full advantage of super-wide 2.35 projection screens
Many bug fixes and improvements, including playback robustness improvements for all Kaleidescape Movie Store formats
You can find instructions for enabling bitstream output in the latest version of the Strato Installation Guide, on page 32. Consult your Kaleidescape dealer for setup assistance if you have a 2.35 theater and you would like to use CinemaScape.

Dolby Atmos and DTS:X lossless audio formats are coming to 4K Ultra HD
Because Kaleidescape is unique in offering true, advanced lossless audio formats on downloadable movies, we have had to work with our content owners to incorporate these formats into our 4K Ultra HD titles. We expect to have a selection of 4K Ultra HD titles with Dolby Atmos and/or DTS:X soon. As existing titles are updated, the updated versions with these audio formats will be available for download at no charge to customers who own those movies.

kOS 7.3 update
kOS 7.3 is expected to include three main features:

Playback of DVD and Blu-ray discs stored in a Disc Server on Strato players
Playback of 4K HDR movies (movies with high dynamic range video) on Strato players connected to compatible displays
Support for Encore systems with more than four players
We plan to release kOS 7.3 within the next few weeks. The exact date depends upon how long it takes to complete the Blu-ray certification process.

I was excited to use the Cinemascape future on the Strato but it seems that I can't use it the way I want. I was hoping the UI would be in 4k and that the movies will play in their original resolution, 4k being 4k, blu-ray being blu-ray, ect... But it seems that if you want to use Cinemascape it automatically upscale the movies to 4k and the image is not as good as when my Sony projector does it. Any idea how to work around that?
PS: I am using a Sony 4k projector and an anamorphic lens.

As olivierLA75 discovered, when you select the third option under Video settings, "Allow display mode changes (external scaler)", the UI is displayed in 4K if the default "use highest resolution (up to 2160p)" is chosen. Content is sent to the projector or scaler at its original resolution, but the CinemaScape options no longer show in the Video settings menu.

Since CinemaScape has to do content scaling to account for the anamorphic lens, it is not compatible with the "use external scaler" option. You most likely would not want to do two scaling passes on the content.

has anyone heard an update regarding 7.3, will it still be before july?
really anxious to get both my disc servers up & running.

Received by email today:

Dear Kaleidescape Strato owner,

We have three updates to share with you today.

kOS 7.2 has been released
The software rollout to customer systems will be completed this week. kOS 7.2 includes:

Support for lossless bitstream audio formats including Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD MA, and DTS:X
Kaleidescape’s unique CinemaScape feature, which allows Strato players to take full advantage of super-wide 2.35 projection screens
Many bug fixes and improvements, including playback robustness improvements for all Kaleidescape Movie Store formats
You can find instructions for enabling bitstream output in the latest version of the Strato Installation Guide, on page 32. Consult your Kaleidescape dealer for setup assistance if you have a 2.35 theater and you would like to use CinemaScape.

Dolby Atmos and DTS:X lossless audio formats are coming to 4K Ultra HD
Because Kaleidescape is unique in offering true, advanced lossless audio formats on downloadable movies, we have had to work with our content owners to incorporate these formats into our 4K Ultra HD titles. We expect to have a selection of 4K Ultra HD titles with Dolby Atmos and/or DTS:X soon. As existing titles are updated, the updated versions with these audio formats will be available for download at no charge to customers who own those movies.

kOS 7.3 update
kOS 7.3 is expected to include three main features:

Playback of DVD and Blu-ray discs stored in a Disc Server on Strato players
Playback of 4K HDR movies (movies with high dynamic range video) on Strato players connected to compatible displays
Support for Encore systems with more than four players
We plan to release kOS 7.3 within the next few weeks. The exact date depends upon how long it takes to complete the Blu-ray certification process.

Back