• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Unusual Strato Issue

Drhemi

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Unfortunately, it looks like there is a problem with my Strato’s audio. I have it connected as I normally do, using the audio HDMI out into my Meridian system. Currently, I am getting only 2.0 or maybe 2.1 audio output; no centre, no surround. Video is connected directly to the display and is fine. I have tested the Meridian and all seems fine there. The other players (M500A, M500B, Oppo, and cable PVR all play 5.1 just fine. It is only the Strato.

To help troubleshoot, I have reseated cables, tried a new (proven) cable and even switched inputs on the Meridian to one shown to play full 5.1 with other sources. I also double checked the settings on the Strato settings page. Nothing helps. I don’t see that it can be anything but the Strato at fault, but I would certainly appreciate expert advice.

I have contacted K. Tech Services, but in the meantime, if anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

Do you have the Strato set to decode in the player? I wonder if there's an EDID issue? K provides some setup options for those as well ("this receiver supports X audio format")....

Yes, the player is set up to decode. It was working fine since I got it last year but stopped working just now. I am getting audio, just not the whole thing. I don't know enough about EDID to diagnose any issues there. The only diagnostics I can see relate to the primary HDMI which is connected to the display and seems to be working just fine.

Very strange!

Thanks,

Wayne

K Support needs to look at your system logs, might provide the answer. (Did you recently update the firmware in any of your connected equipment? Sometimes that causes connection issues.)

Jim

K Support needs to look at your system logs, might provide the answer. (Did you recently update the firmware in any of your connected equipment? Sometimes that causes connection issues.)

Jim

Yes, I've reached out to support, but am still waiting to hear. I have not updated any firmware recently that would effect anything. I am puzzled by this as all was working just fine and then it suddenly changed.

Thanks,

Wayne

Are you sure the Kaleidescape firmware didn't update? Did you change any equipment anywhere in the chain?

Are you sure the Kaleidescape firmware didn't update? Did you change any equipment anywhere in the chain?

Thanks, Jerry.

As far as K. equipment goes, the firmware in the Encore system upgraded on Jan. 30, and the Premiere stuff on Feb. 2. The only other change in the entire system was the exchange of the Oppo 103 for the 203 in January. Everything was working well after that. I upgraded firmware in the Oppo last week, but I fail to see how that would effect the Strato as they are only "connected" by the fact that each has a separate HDMI video input to the display and each has it's own audio HDMI input to the Meridian 621.

I did try connecting the Strato to the Oppo's input a few weeks ago (as I reported in this forum) but did not keep it set up that way due to the DSP mode switching noise in the 861. I made sure to change the Strato back to player decode from bitstream and it was working well until this past weekend. I had not tested it for a couple of weeks, so the exact timing is unknown, but it was first noticed on Sunday.

Rusty from K. emailed me today saying he had assigned a case number and was elevating the issue to the engineers. I guess I will just have to be patient.

Thanks for your help.

Wayne

I have an update. I decided to do further testing today, testing both Primary and Secondary HDMI outputs. Connecting the Primary HDMI to the Meridian HD621 (1.4 only) takes away 4K capabilities, but this was intended as an audio test.

In brief, I found that changing the setting for "Stereo and Dolby Surround preferences for movies" from default stereo to Dolby Surround results in NO sound from the Primary HDMI and only 2.1 from the Secondary HDMI. I checked all other audio settings possible and nothing else made a difference. When I changed back to the stereo setting I got 5.1 from both Primary and Secondary HDMI outputs. This was completely repeatable.

I have returned the Primary HDMI to the display and use the Secondary HDMI for audio into the Meridian system, made sure the above mentioned setting was stereo, and am now happily enjoying 5.1 sound again. Somewhere, sometime, I must have changed this setting! Luckily, I do not have a lot of material on the Encore system where Dolby Surround is of benefit.

This may represent a bug in the software and I have notified K. support of my findings along with a timeframe of the testing to assist in checking their logs.

Thought I would pass this on.

Wayne

Back