• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Unrecognised Boxset?

djjfive

Hi,

I was wondering, why you are able to add multiple discs to one cover when adding an album but not with DVD's? I know you are able to send them off through the loan program but this has now become unachievable due to the price it costs per disc. Sending the barcode these days doesn't seem to do much either, leaving the only option of putting the same artwork for the series and labelling them (Disc 1) (Disc 2) etc. This is not an ideal solution.
The loan program is a good idea if you want details and scenes etc. but surely it could be possible for us to add more than one disc to the same cover at home through the software?

My mistake, it seems they aren't updating anything including albums:confused: using the 'Enter barcode' option. Is the loan program the only solution to unrecognised boxsets and double albums? If so, is there any way of listing more than one disc under one cover?

Even before the Kpocalypse it took 2 (sometimes 3) business days for basic information to process from barcode entry. Are you seeing stuff from over a week unprocessed?

Unfortunately I've been away from my K for some time and was used to the pre 'Kpocalypse' days. I have just re-capped on previous posts with regard to this from over a year or more ago and there was talk of implementing a system where the user could input their own data then...I'm guessing this didn't happen? If not is it ever going to happen?
There are a few mainstream series that I've sent barcodes for over a month ago and are still in multiple discs without bookmarks or artwork it seems they just don't update anything anymore and the only solution is to pay them $10 per disc to fix something that should have been working in the first place. I don't mean to rant however it seems there has been a big middle finger raised to the user from K since I last used my system.

Unfortunately I've been away from my K for some time and was used to the pre 'Kpocalypse' days. I have just re-capped on previous posts with regard to this from over a year or more ago and there was talk of implementing a system where the user could input their own data then...I'm guessing this didn't happen? If not is it ever going to happen?
There are a few mainstream series that I've sent barcodes for over a month ago and are still in multiple discs without bookmarks or artwork it seems they just don't update anything anymore and the only solution is to pay them $10 per disc to fix something that should have been working in the first place. I don't mean to rant however it seems there has been a big middle finger raised to the user from K since I last used my system.

No "middle finger" from K to owners, just a change in service based on personnel being committed to higher priority operations. Keep in mind that the Premiere systems were never marketed with a commitment to ensure "all" discs could be imported, nor was it marketed with promises that all movie/music cover art and details would be entered by K if an owner's discs were not recognized. It would have been impossible to make such assurances given sales were worldwide and discs are produced in many versions at many locations around the world, often with different coding and protection schemes.

The bar code entry was an additional service created by K to try and help owners with cover art and movie/music details of discs not recognized through the automated process. This was also true of the "disc loan" service. Unfortunately, over time, the number of requests submitted to K from around the world, coupled with the loan disc program, created a backlog in the section that handled that service. The only way to continue to provide these services, at any level, was to allocate additional personnel resources to that section. When the company restructured some of their operations a couple of years ago, these services received a lower priority.

Although I have not checked in many months, I believe the bar code service is still available, and assuming it is, it is likely the Store's operations (adding new content, bookmarking, etc.) that is causing delays in processing these requests from owners.

All of that said, I understand the frustration of Premiere owners that have come to expect this service, an expectation that was created by K.
Unfortunately, changes do come to most businesses over time, and K is no exception, but given my almost daily interaction with them I can say for certain that K is grateful for their customers, and will continue to provide as much service, and as many improvements to the user experience as is possible given the realities of the current business model and the very competitive industry in which they operate.

Jim

I understand that changes have been made and I also understand they needed to be made however if they are no longer updating using the send bar code feature, which time will tell, it leaves no other option for multiple disc titles other than the loan program.
One of the main selling points and features of K is having all the covers in one place and I would say it is heavily marketed as such, you don't see any unrecognised covers on the marketing video on the website. They should be doing everything to keep that as it is.
Surely this could be a feature that the user could do themselves? I have no problem with the workload of inputing the data myself, it just needs to be possible to add more than one disc to one cover.
When a complete boxset is unrecognised apart from the first few series I'd be looking at 20+ discs a time it would make the process very expensive.
I would hope that this is a feature that is in the making or failing that perhaps a limit of discs sent in per customer per month would work better?

I understand that changes have been made and I also understand they needed to be made however if they are no longer updating using the send bar code feature, which time will tell, it leaves no other option for multiple disc titles other than the loan program.
One of the main selling points and features of K is having all the covers in one place and I would say it is heavily marketed as such, you don't see any unrecognised covers on the marketing video on the website. They should be doing everything to keep that as it is.
Surely this could be a feature that the user could do themselves? I have no problem with the workload of inputing the data myself, it just needs to be possible to add more than one disc to one cover.
When a complete boxset is unrecognised apart from the first few series I'd be looking at 20+ discs a time it would make the process very expensive.
I would hope that this is a feature that is in the making or failing that perhaps a limit of discs sent in per customer per month would work better?

Sounds like you are talking about both CD’s and DVD/BR’s.

For CD’s, the nice thing is that you can enter ALL of the information using the browser (artwork, group name, album title, track titles, etc.). The one thing you can’t do is combine discs from a box set into one album. I agree that this is annoying. BUT, I found a work-around that works for me. For a 3-disc box set that imports as three separate albums, I re-name the album as disc 1, disc 2 and disc 3. I then make a Playlist named after the artist and album name and then add the three disc1-3 to the playlist. I then add this Playlist to whichever Collections that I would have put the original album. Voila! I now have an “album” as if it were imported correctly!

At least it has worked for me. I even like it better not having the artficial limitations of songs separated by “disc” number.

John

ETA: I also do the above on box sets like “The Beatles Stereo Box Set” that imports correctly but as separate individual albums. I make a “Beatles Stereo Box Set” Playlist with every disc in order with all 226 songs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I use my Kalidescape for music, blu-rays and dvd's...so basically everything.
I'm just wondering how does adding a collection, add the album or boxset artwork and all it's associated discs to the cover flow? Would you still not end up with numerous discs with the same artwork saying (disc 1), (disc 2) etc. on the cover flow? I Really don't mind this a little if there are only two or three discs in a series... but when theres around 7 discs in one series and a total of 10 unrecognised series missing, that really creates a mess on the screen with the cover flow; or what was the 'Kalidescape Experience' as it was known..
When you start getting into labelling discs with things like "Series 4 (disc 5)", "Series 4 (disc 6)" etc.etc and you're not even half way through the complete series, then it's gone too far...
What I'm suggesting on the face of it sounds quite simple to do (however I'm sure someone will prove me wrong) but surely being able to add as many discs as you like to one cover would solve this problem at our end and would probably ease a lot of the backlog at K's end too?

What I'm suggesting on the face of it sounds quite simple to do (however I'm sure someone will prove me wrong) but surely being able to add as many discs as you like to one cover would solve this problem at our end and would probably ease a lot of the backlog at K's end too?

I agree with you that this capability would be nice to have.

I just wanted to share what I do for music. It won’t help on videos as there is no exact equivalent to music playlists.

John

..if they are no longer updating using the send bar code feature...

I submit barcode for unrecognized movie titles and the missing cover appears a few days later. Submitting barcode never resulted in video bookmarks, even pre-Kpocalypse. They need a copy of the physical disc to process video bookmarks. They once might have sourced the title themselves, or if they couldn't you had to send it to them.

I'm about to make a loan appointment. I'm surprised even some blockbuster mainstream movies are missing video bookmarks. They have applied some discretion in the past with the $10/disc processing charge. Some discs they have charged me for, others they haven't. I wouldn't expect to be charged for processing a Pirates of the Caribbean title, for example. I don't think they have charged me for something simple, like putting a multiple disc CD under a single album cover.

It seems they are updating blu-rays as two barcodes I sent updated in 3 days but not dvd's or CD's. Looking back, I have a boxset that I uploaded in December 2017 that is still unrecognised.
This is an issue as most boxsets come as dvd's. Could there be a possibility of a watered down version of the send barcode feature for CD's and DVD's? No artwork or information needed, just the disc's allocation to one cover?

Back