• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Unable to get DV700 to recognize (any) new discs

dnanian

Hi, folks. I had 7 slots available on my DV700, but had no server space until a little while ago, when I found a few things I could delete.

Not wanting to let those slots go to waste, I popped six new BluRay discs into the vault.

But...as it went and checked each one, it said "One disc needs to be ejected..." and then ejected every one. With no error code, and nothing in the import log. It just...failed. For all of them.

Is this a situation where the optical drive has gone bad? It didn't seem to be a roller issue, because everything loaded and unloaded properly as far as I could tell...and I dread opening the thing, because if it's something I can't 'fix' I'll lose access to hundreds of Blu-Rays...

Help?

It’s possible the internal rollers that pull discs into the optical drive are not gripping the discs enough to pull them into the optical drive (and that is causing the failures), but you should contact K support who can provide more insight.

If the rollers are getting too dirty to pull discs into the optical drive, it is only a matter of time before the vault is unable to verify the discs already in the vault and marks them all unplayable. FWIW, it is usually the discs with a smooth label or double-sided discs that the rollers struggle to grip first.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure they're getting inserted - I can hear them going in. After it says it has to be ejected, on the final eject, it says the disc was "dirty or inserted with the label facing in".

Based on the forum thread, I went and bought a cleaning disc and tried to run it through 6-8 times, with no results. I've ordered a Optiarc BD-5850H on eBay assuming that's the next step...

So - it seems like this might be a "motor" or "arm" issue. But here's the problem:

- If I open the Vault to determine what's going on, I'm guessing it's going to decide to do an inventory
- If the problem isn't readily fixable, I lose access to 312 Blu-Ray discs, the vast majority of which are not available as digital downloads

If I just leave it and "eat" the 12 slots, well...it's frustrating but better than eating 320 slots.

Any suggestions? Is there a way to open it and fix anything that might be wrong without triggering an inventory? I'm not trying to avoid disc protection - god knows I've invested a huge amount of money just to stay "legal" - I just don't want to lose access to things I have every right to play...

@cinelife - ideas?

You should open it to see if there's anything obvious, if you need instructions let me know. Also, the Vault will occasionally do an inventory anyway, so eventually it will happen.

Taking the top off to look at the inside should not trigger an inventory. I'd take it off and try to feed it one of those "failed" discs to see what it does. If the carousel rotates normally and feeds the disc into the optical drive, and the optical drive doesn't recognize it, ejects it, etc., it's probably the drive and replacing it may solve the problem. As Andy mentioned, if it tries to load the disc but it never enters the drive, the rollers may be the cause (I'd clean them anyway). I'd also get supports opinion.

Jim

Then you should be able to confirm by opening the case and watch the operation (attempted disc load), I would think.

Jim

Then you should be able to confirm by opening the case and watch the operation (attempted disc load), I would think.

Jim
Yeah, I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and deal with the potential have-to-replace-the-unit consequences. I think just to hold off for a little while until I get the replacement drive in house, and then wait for the inventory to fail before accidentally triggering one might be the right way to go...

As Jim eluded to, you can run the vault with the cover removed to watch what happens when you insert discs. This is not recommended for extended periods of time considering the cover protects from dirt and dust, but it is great for troubleshooting. Try inserting a disc you know is already imported/cataloged and you should observe the following:
  1. When the disc is inserted, the front rollers should spin and easily pull the disc into the vault (it is actually only one roller spinning... the second is passive).
  2. The disc should be "dropped" into an empty slot
  3. The carousel should rotate until the disc is at the optical drive (ODD) location
  4. The ODD kicker arm should "nudge" the disc upwards from underneath the deck to meet the ODD rollers
  5. The rollers should pull the disc to meet the ODD which ingests it
  6. The ODD should spin up the disc and attempt to read and identify the disc
  7. After a moment, the disc should be ejected
  8. The rollers should pull the disc back out and the disc should drop back into the carousel into the same slot
What happens next, depends on whether or not all these steps were successful.

Assuming the disc is read, the carousel should move to a random position with an empty slot positioned at the front rollers (waiting for the next disc) and the recognized disc will remain in the the vault.

Now, if the disc cannot be read for some reason, the carousel will move the disc to the front slot position (waiting to be ejected). When you press OK to eject it, the front kicker arm will nudge the disc up to meet the front rollers where the disc is ejected from the vault.

If during the process the disc is successfully inserted into the ODD but not read, then the ODD is likely dirty or failed. Try inserting a cleaning disc (with the little bristles on it) several times and try again.

If the disc never makes into the ODD, the rollers are likely too dirty to grasp the disc, or the ODD kicker arm (or its motor - also under the deck) has failed. The rollers being dirty should be obvious because you'll see the disc just sit there when the rollers spin. If it is a kicker arm or motor problem, the disc will never be lifted to the ODD. If the front kicker arm or motor failed, I'd expect the problem to be discs that cannot be ejected from the vault (out the front slot).

Keep in mind I haven't had my vault open for a couple years so this is from memory, and I may have forgot a minor movement or two, but I've looked at it (and many other vaults) enough to be fairly certain this is accurate.

Good luck,
Andy

Is there any sort of solution for this case?

Is the disc being lifted to the rollers? If so, the kicker arm and motor are likely doing their job and it is likely just dirty rollers causing your problem. Clean them with some isopropyl alcohol and a cloth and try again. BTW, this is the more common problem.

If the disc never makes it to the rollers, than the kicker arm and/or motor is likely the culprit. In this case there isn’t a whole lot to do other than contact K support and inquire about a remanufactured replacement. I’ve never heard of anyone fixing this in the field and know you’d have to remove the carousel and the deck just to gain access to those components.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, @andy - when Kaleidescape looked at the logs on their end, they suggested it was the kicker and/or motor. But I am going to have to bite the bullet and open it up to see. I just hope it doesn't force an inventory...

Back