• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

UI Resolution

cue

I am considering purchasing Kaleidescape server. I just got a demo and the functionality and interface is great but the resolution of the UI is a disappointment. I was expecting hd resolution for the Kaleidscape application. The DVD covers and text would look much better. Is there any plans to update this and if so, when?

Eddy

Hi Cue, Welcome to the forum!

The UI resolution is outstanding, so I'm betting you saw a demo on a less-than-perfect setup. I know of one dealer who shows Kaleidescape on a 80+ inch screen, but they have it running on component cables and only have the display set for 480i (maybe 480p), so it looks terrible. When I was there last, I could immediately tell that it was in 480 because of the text on the UI. Looked bad - you could see jaggies on the text. I told them, and we checked... sure enough it was only 480p and they said it had something to do with doing very long cable runs from a player in another part of the store.

You won't be disappointed in the UI resolution on a properly set up system... The cover art and UI use every bit of available resolution. The cover art is definitely brought in at high-enough resolution that it looks perfect. (Try the "intermission" function to see how detailed the cover art is... but even in the cover-nav view it's very high.)

Where are you located, by the way? Where'd you see your demo?

--josh

I am in Los Altos. I saw it at the dealer's house. Does it support hd resolutions (720p or 1080i) for it's UI?

Thanks for the info...

The UI does support 720p and 1080i resolutions... and it does redo the text and graphics for the resolution you set. You set your preferences in the player setup screen. The UI text and screens look amazing on a good display when the player is set up right. You're welcome to come by (Saratoga) some time if you'd like to see mine. PM me if interested.

--josh

Agree with everything Josh said. It must not have been set up correctly. I'm projecting to a 127" screen and the cover art looks great.

Jim

The UI is always rendered at standard definition (480 lines for NTSC, 576 for PAL). There's an option to show the UI at 720p or 1080i over HDMI, but that's just upscaled standard-definition. The purpose of that option is to avoid video mode changes in the display when showing upscaled DVDs or high-definition content.

Lawrence Kesteloot
Software Engineering Manager
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Hey, Welcome back Lawrence! Nice to see you visiting the forums...

Wow... so there we have the official answer and it sounds like the UI is in fact never actually higher than 480 lines. Definitely surprises me. So Lawrence, if that's true, then why is there a VERY noticeable difference in the readability of text on component output at 480p vs. HDMI output at 1080i. Sounds like I shouldn't see a difference, but I definitely do.

Hi Josh,

The source material is in 480 lines and your display can only show 1080 lines physically, so scaling must happen somewhere, either in the Kaleidescape Player or in your display. If you prefer the result of the Player outputting 1080i/HDMI to it outputting 480p/component, then either our scaling is better than your display's, or the analog conversion is introducing noise or blurring. You should be able to distinguish by trying 480p/HDMI, eliminating the analog variable.

In general we've found that we do better scaling and much better de-interlacing than what you'll find built-in to a display. But that's not a universal rule and you may find the opposite to be true with some displays, or with a dedicated external scaler.

Lawrence Kesteloot

Back