• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Two New Terra Models Announced

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Kaleidescape Announces New Compact Terra 22TB Movie Server and New Terra 88TB Movie Server

New products streamline Kaleidescape’s Terra line to better accommodate storage requirements in the expanding world of 4K UHD digital content​

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CALIFORNIA – September 20, 2022 – Kaleidescape, maker of the ultimate movie player, announced today the release of the new Kaleidescape compact Terra 22 terabyte (TB) movie server, replacing its compact Terra 18TB, and the release of the new Terra 88TB movie server, replacing its Terra 72TB server. These new products are now available from Kaleidescape’s dealer network.

“Kaleidescape is committed to acting on customer feedback, streamlining our product line to meet our wide range of customer needs in the 4K UHD era while maintaining the unrivaled quality, faster download speeds and seamless playback experience that define Kaleidescape,” said Tayloe Stansbury, CEO, Kaleidescape. “This new server lineup offers five different storage capacities, spaced roughly a factor of two apart from each other.”

Customers can now choose from the compact Terra 6TB, compact Terra 12TB, compact Terra 22TB or the larger Terra 48TB or Terra 88TB. This sequencing provides efficient options for those who want storage flexibility on a smaller scale, or for those with larger collections looking to expand as more 4K UHD titles become available. Both the Terra and compact Terra lines can download a UHD 4K movie in as little as 10 minutes.

The new Terra 88TB can store nearly 1,500 high-fidelity 4K UHD movies, serve up to 10 simultaneous 4K UHD playbacks, and enables fast downloads while simultaneously supporting playback on multiple Strato players. Extremely reliable, the Terra 88TB movie server stores high-fidelity movies on an array of high-quality, enterprise-class hard drives and is designed to continue operating on the rare occasion of a hard drive failure. If a failed hard dive needs to be replaced, movies are automatically restored from the cloud.

The compact Terra 22TB can store over 350 4K UHD movies or over 650 movies with a mix of 4K UHD, Blu-ray, and DVD-quality titles, and serve up to 5 simultaneous 4K UHD playbacks. The compact Terra allows customers the flexibility to add playback zones and grow their movie collection over time. Up to four compact Terra servers can be combined in a single system for more storage.

The Kaleidescape movie store has the largest collection of UHD 4K titles available and boasts nearly 14,000 titles for purchase and more than 9,000 for rent. Users can rent or download movies in reference quality 4K HDR with lossless Dolby Atmos and DTS:X audio, surpassing even 4K UHD discs in both convenience and quality by going beyond optical disc capacity and bit rate limits. In addition, Kaleidescape offers over 700 4K UHD titles not available on Blu-ray Disc.
The Kaleidescape compact Terra 22TB movie server will be priced at $10,995 and the Terra 88TB will be priced at $25,995. Accompanying Strato C players are priced at $3,995 each.
###
About Kaleidescape
Kaleidescape is the ultimate movie player. Kaleidescape elevates every other component in your theater, with higher-fidelity video source material, lossless audio, and integrative cues to control lighting, shading, seating, lenses, and screen masking. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Kaleidescape builds its products in the USA and sells exclusively through custom installers.

Media Contact:
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Josh Gershman
Josh.Gershman@kaleidescape.com

Copyright © 2022 Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape and the Kaleidescape logo are trademarks of Kaleidescape, Inc., and are registered in the United States. Other trademarks are owned by third parties and may be registered in some jurisdictions.
apixel.png

The new Terra 88TB can store nearly 1,500 high-fidelity 4K UHD movies, serve up to 10 simultaneous 4K UHD playbacks, and enables fast downloads while simultaneously supporting playback on multiple Strato players.

The Kaleidescape movie store has the largest collection of UHD 4K titles available and boasts nearly 14,000 titles for purchase and more than 9,000 for rent.
Hmm, just over a quarter mil to have your own local copy of the entire K store (up slightly from 240k,) but would they pre-load the content?

Hello, all! I got an exclusive first look at the 22TB server and here is my review:
Though, if you're familiar with any compact Terra servers, it is identical, just with more storage!
John

I'm not looking to do this at this point, but just curious. Does K offer any kind of program where you can effectively trade up or buy up your storage? For example take a 72 TB Terra and buy the drives only to make it an 88 TB Terra? I realize this would only work in cases where the terra hardware and things were the same, but just curious.

The ability to upgrade drives is not currently available, and based on my most recent conversations with K there is no plan to allow drive upgrades. The only way to get more storage is to upgrade the Terra, either by selling the used Terra and buying new, or using the current upgrade program. This upgrade program only allows a 25% credit towards a new Terra, so depending on the Terra involved it may make more sense to sell on your own and buy new.

Jim

The ability to upgrade drives is not currently available, and based on my most recent conversations with K there is no plan to allow drive upgrades. The only way to get more storage is to upgrade the Terra, either by selling the used Terra and buying new, or using the current upgrade program. This upgrade program only allows a 25% credit towards a new Terra, so depending on the Terra involved it may make more sense to sell on your own and buy new.

Jim
Is this a %25 off on Terra 88 or %25 of retail of your Terra model applied for the upgrade? I am thinking it is the latter.

I kinda like it that if you have a Terra 72 and add a Terra 88, it is a nice round number 160 TB :)

The promo language indicates 25% off dealer cost, and that effectively means a 25% discount from retail. In many cases an owner can probably do better by selling privately and buying new.

Jim

It would 25% off of the Terra 88. In other words 25% off of what you are buying—not what you are trading in.

In that case if you are turning in an old Terra 24, it is not a bad deal. %25 of Terra 88 is not much lower than the going rate of Terra 24 minus listing fees and what not. Am I wrong?

It would 25% off of the Terra 88. In other words 25% off of what you are buying—not what you are trading in.

Correct.

Jim

Can you turn in 2 Terras for 50% off a new one?

Ha! NO! :ROFLMAO: (I've already asked on behalf of a client.)

(Sorry)

Jim

In that case if you are turning in an old Terra 24, it is not a bad deal. %25 of Terra 88 is not much lower than the going rate of Terra 24 minus listing fees and what not. Am I wrong?

Here's the answer:

The Terra 88TB is $25,995 retail. With the trade-in the retail drops to $19,496. ($6,500 savings)

Jim

Ouch. Western Digital Red server class drives to make up 88TB would run about $1700 RETAIL right now. And a Terra is just dumb storage, no playing components or IP interface. So for the other roughly $24K exactly what is K offering other than the ability for it to talk to the player?? I don't care how good your service is, I just don't know how this kind of pricing is conveyed with a straight face to anyone.

Think this has been the long ongoing debate and “sticker shock” to those new to the platform (not referring to you)

I presume it is to do with cost on contracts, ongoing conversion and support of films on store and support in general.

I had a debate with a friend of mine who bought in and then his second hand system broke. He made an interesting point; if you look at the wider picture, time wise, with no “right to repair “ you are effectively “renting” the platform for the warranty period - at least guaranteed for that period.

I know it’s not that simple but there’s logic in it.

I still think there’s a massive gap/opportunity in a smaller system that is substantially cheaper (maybe streaming only) or only stores a very minimal amount of downloads.

I have many friends that love the system but aren’t into / can’t afford the dedicated setups that a lot of us have. If it was all in, sub $2k (max!!), 3 figures would be perfect! Then I reckon those with “just” 65” TVs and HomePods in stereo Would buy it. Least those that come round mine 🤣🤣

I don’t even think it would need to be sub $2K. I think if K could get their hardware costs to half of what it is now retail (which would still be expensive compared to anything else even remotely similar) they would open their market to the enthusiast crowd. And that crowd buys movies way more than any other market segment. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a lot of K hardware out there right now sitting unused or that doesn’t even have movies on it to be honest. There are always reasons for end users to go to another device for some type of content and those devices keep them there with quality, convenience and price. There is a reason people are moving away from discs and disc players and moving to streaming. The quality on K is nearly identical to disc, so I’m sure it works the same way for many that already have K, especially the non hardcore enthusiast that just bought it because the dealer told them to or pitched it well.

Totally agree, speculation on what price point TBH kinda drives the conversation in the wrong direction. It ain’t ever going to be “Apple TV” level.

But yeah, friends who see it love it, but then choke at the price of hardware (not the film purchase price funnily enough)

Some friends naturally couldn’t care less about Audio or visual quality but an amount do, more than used to IMO

I see a lot of comments on my YouTube videos as well as meeting local enthusiasts interested in the platform or say something like "I'd love to get a K, but" and the but is usually the cost of entry. Most are very favorable about the platform though, thinks it's great, and so on.

I would certainly much prefer to have an 88TB Terra vs. 12TB so I could have my entire K collection downloaded vs. doing the cycling thing, but it'll be a long time coming before I drop that kind of money, even with discounts, on storage. Plus, if I keep buying on the platform, it wouldn't be long before I'm over 88TB as it is.

My challenge with this is that a lot of the cool system features, like putting your movies into collections, only work on the server for movies downloaded. We need all movies shown and cloud-based/synced library customization.

Completely agree on the price point. Another sticking point for me on spending even more money on the K eco system is my movie collection. I'm pretty much the one in my home that has to initiate watching something on K. My wife and kids just use Movies Anywhere or other streaming apps, since they want to watch on any TV and any device. I have to maintain two libraries, so that they have access to everything. If K had Movies Anywhere support, even one-way (meaning buy on K and get on MA but not the other way around), I would buy so much more content from the K store. Right now I only buy things that I really want to watch on K, and everything else though MA retailers. I hate having my collection so fragmented and having to double dip in many cases. It makes me much less likely to buy higher storage sizes.

Last edited:
Only K understands their business model and pricing would be component of it. Its a luxury product and they continue to position as such. I don’t personally think they could support a mass influx of customers if they significantly lowered their pricing.

Back