• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Two New Terra Models Announced

I had a debate with a friend of mine who bought in and then his second hand system broke. He made an interesting point; if you look at the wider picture, time wise, with no “right to repair “ you are effectively “renting” the platform for the warranty period - at least guaranteed for that period.

I know it’s not that simple but there’s logic in it.
This is absolutely right and exactly how I've thought about when weighing the decision to buy newer and larger hardware. Credit where credit is due though, props to K for increasing the warranty from 3 to 5 years. But after that the hardware is a ticking time bomb to turn into a brick. A very hard pill to swallow at these price points.

This is absolutely right and exactly how I've thought about when weighing the decision to buy newer and larger hardware. Credit where credit is due though, props to K for increasing the warranty from 3 to 5 years. But after that the hardware is a ticking time bomb to turn into a brick. A very hard pill to swallow at these price points.
Think of it as paying $5k a year to lease the equipment for 5 years until the warranty expires. Ok. When I say it out load, that’s a ridiculous amount of money and it doesn’t even include the movies. It wouldn’t be too bad if that ‘investment’ included lifetime support (until the business closes) and reasonable pricing on repair. I too fear in having a $25k brick. Swapping out for a larger drive is desirable too.
And no, I will not be buying additional server storage at these ridiculous pricing

Think of it as paying $5k a year to lease the equipment for 5 years until the warranty expires. Ok. When I say it out load, that’s a ridiculous amount of money and it doesn’t even include the movies. It wouldn’t be too bad if that ‘investment’ included lifetime support (until the business closes) and reasonable pricing on repair. I too fear in having a $25k brick. Swapping out for a larger drive is desirable too.
And no, I will not be buying additional server storage at these ridiculous pricing
Not arguing to your point but elaborating on a few things so your point isn’t taken wrong by newbies or the less informed.

The Terra servers are solid state components (no moving or wear & tear replacement parts) except the hard drives which contains spinning discs. The hard drives are the most likely to fail first. These are field replaceable and I am pretty sure Kaleidescape will offer replacements for many years. For example, I have a 13 year old Premiere 3U server which I can still buy brand new drives for.

If anything else fails and your Terra is outside the 5 year warranty period, you get a %50 off on your replacement Terra. So your loss is more like $2.5k a year unless you no longer want to stay in the Kaleidescape ecosystem.

Just replaced a drive from K last week on my 3U server, so I can confirm on drive availability. Also, my 3U is ~12 years old with no problems except for drive failure (knock on wood).

If K still has drives for a 3U that was discontinued quite a while ago, there shouldn’t be any worries on drives for Terra servers.

John

Last edited:
Are the compact terra drives field replaceable? I got the impression from a; earlier post that the server has to be returned for replacement but had not followed it up.

They are not field replaceable. SJ
Thanks for the confirmation

- Thats a bit of a pain. Anyone have any experience of the UK turnaround time for that? Don't have a need today but I am sure it's only a matter of time.

Correct, any in-warranty compact server that suffers a hard drive failure must be returned to K. If they have -R (Remanufactured) units available, your dealer could speed things up by authorizing an advanced replacement. Without the advanced replacement approval, K will wait until they receive the defective unit according to an RMA they will issue. The dealer is supposed to collect a deposit against the defective unit from the owner, and this is returned to the owner after K confirms receipt of the defective unit. Dealers set their own policy on who pays the deposit (my policy is to not inconvenience the client with more complexity, so we take responsibility for the deposit. If there are no -R units available, the defective unit will be repaired (change drive) and returned. The compact nature of that design makes it very difficult to change the drive.

If the compact Terra is OOW, the only option at this point (based on K's memo on this subject) is to trade it back to K in exchange for the purchase of a -R at a 50% discount.

The full sized Terra's are the only Terra servers K is allowing dealers and owners to change the hard drive in the field. It's a much easier process.

Jim

Back