• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

TrueHD stutter

cgadener

I am using the new THX BluRay optimizer disc (for installers only) and when I play the "Amazing Life" trailer, the sound stutters. I am using a Denon 4310CI and a Panny Plasma display. I also made sure only high-speed HDMI cables are used in the whole chain from the M500 to the Panny. I can see on the Denon display that the TrueHD light flickers when the bandwidth increases.

Through the process of elimination I will get to the bottom if this, but have any of you experienced the M500 stuttering with high bandwidth bitstreams?

Thanks,

Carl

Can you describe what you mean by "stuttering"?

I just put a call through to K-scape's technical support department last week about an issue I am having with certain soundtracks. My issue also seems to be during high bandwidth transitions, where the sound will disappear for a split second. It reminds me of a layer change with a DVD. This sound hiccup occurs at the same spots on a given movie every time. I first noticed this when I received my two M500 players within a week of their introduction. I called Kaleidescape at the time and was told they were aware of an issue, and were working on a software fix. Because of this, I sort of ignored it for months. With the recent release of Iron Man 2 and Robin Hood, though, the problem was occurring so often, it was distracting, so I called them back to see where they were with the fix. It turns out they had already fixed what they thought was the problem. They were surprised to find they had another problem, and I've been reassured that this has been elevated to their engineering department for troubleshooting.

Some specifics:
Because I thought it was a software issue, I can't tell you every movie that it's been occurring on, but the worst offenders where Sherlock Holmes, Iron Man 2, and Robin Hood. Before picking up Robin Hood most recently, I thought the issue was Robert Downey, Jr. ! All three of these movies are DTS Master Audio.

It occurs when the movie is playing from the tray, so it's not a network issue.

It doesn't matter whether yo select "Play Movie" or "Play Disc".

I have two M500 players, so I've swapped both into the theater room, and it occurs consistently on both players.

I have a Classe SSP 800 with the dual DSP boards that decodes the high definition soundtracks (DTS Master Audio and Dolby True HD). I swapped inputs between the Kaleidescape player and my Sony Playstation 3 (so same HDMI cables, audio path, and processor) and no hiccup occurs with the Playstation.

I had my dealer Definitive Audio in Seattle play Iron Man 2 from their M500 player through Classe's SSP, and they get the same hiccups.

As above, Kaleidescape has reassured me they have elevated this to the engineering level, and will get back to me with the issue. They are a very responsive company, and I have no doubt they will get to the bottom of this.

Dave

I thought the movie never really plays from the tray- that it just needs the disc in there for copyright issues.

dlittle: The issue is similar to what you describe - the sound stops for a split second. In the case of the THX trailer, the sound stops several times (stutters) on a very specific section of the Amazing Life trailer. The section exhibits a lot of changing graphics and loud bursts of sound all over the sound spectrum, so I presume it is taxing the system quite well (high bandwidth). I noticed this happened occasionally on other discs, but since the glitch just happened once or twice, I just ignored it. Do you happen to remember what chapter of Sherlock Holmes it occurred on? That happens to be a DTS HD soundtrack, but nonetheless, if it happens there too, I would like to see if I can reproduce it as well. Can you also tell me where on Iron Man 2 and Robin Hood you have the problem?

JerryL: As long as the movie has not been imported, it will play from the tray.

Thanks,

Carl

Carl:

On all three of those movies, it happens so frequently in all chapters, you should pick it up quickly.

For Iron Man 2, a specific place in the movie to watch is towards the beginning, when Iron Man jumps out of a plane, lands on a stage with the cheerleaders, and addresses the crowd for the opening of his expo. The hiccup occurs multiple times (about 5 or so).

Jerry:

If you have an M500 player (with a tray, as opposed to M300 without), you can either import the movie onto the server and play it off the server (and yes, you need the disc in the tray for confirmation of ownership), or you can play the disc directly from the tray without importing it. The advantage of importing it is a movie in any M500 tray is available for play in any zone simultaneously (if you have multiple zones), it boots up faster, and you have the ability to bookmark scenes.

Dave

I am now armed with IronMan 2 and As Jerry suggest, I'll import the movie as well as the THX trailer BD to see if ther eis a difference in behavior.
Carl

I tried various combinations of cables, receivers (2 Denons), BD-player (Panasonic), source material (Iron Man 2, Dolby HiDef reference disc, THX BD Calibration Disc), and it all points to the K-scape M500 as the culprit. The THX disc sails through with the Panny BD player.

I have escalated this to Kaleidescape and they seemed to be aware that this issue may exist, but I have not received a full-on confirmation. Since it is not widely reported and only seems to be triggered by a very specific disc, it has taken lesser priority in their queue.

I would like to know if others have seen this.

Thx,

Carl

BTW, I asked K-scape support if there is a way to determine if a BluRay disc is playing from the tray or from the server and K-scape confirmed there isn't (at least not from the GUI).

You can force it to play from the disc by deleting the title from the server. Then it would HAVE to play from the disc.

You can force it to play from the server by putting the disc in the tray of a different player on the network to validate the disc is there but your player wouldn't be able to play from the disc.

I tried various combinations of cables, receivers (2 Denons), BD-player (Panasonic), source material (Iron Man 2, Dolby HiDef reference disc, THX BD Calibration Disc), and it all points to the K-scape M500 as the culprit. The THX disc sails through with the Panny BD player.

I have escalated this to Kaleidescape and they seemed to be aware that this issue may exist, but I have not received a full-on confirmation. Since it is not widely reported and only seems to be triggered by a very specific disc, it has taken lesser priority in their queue.

I would like to know if others have seen this.

Thx,

Carl

Yep have the same issue here on Iron Man and just had the same on Toy Story 3 going to call Kscape and complain today

Hey guys,

It looks like there have been no responses on this thread since a month ago. Were they (Kaleidescape) ever able to resolve this issue?

Matt

This issue appears to have been resolved with a new software update (in Beta), and will be available to all systems very soon (if it isn't already).

Jim

Back