• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Transfer Contents

ad1025

I'd love to see the capability to transfer content from an old 5U system to the new 3U system without reloading every fricking DVD and CD you own. There's got to be an easier consumer friendly way to accomplished this task. Or is this a feature already on the system and I'm just not aware of it? Someone help me. Please!! ...:confused::mad::(

Yes theres a way to do this. I think there is at least. You should ask your dealer about "replication". I think the dealer needs to somehow enable this function and then you plug the new server into your network and let the replication process commence. I forget how long it takes but I had a 5U that was loaded up with 500 and 750 drives and it took quite a while- I think it was around a week.

Heres a screen capture of when I did it back in May of 2009.

Attachments

• replication1.jpg
    replication1.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 22
  • replication2.jpg
    replication2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 20
I'd love to see the capability to transfer content from an old 5U system to the new 3U system without reloading every fricking DVD and CD you own. There's got to be an easier consumer friendly way to accomplished this task. Or is this a feature already on the system and I'm just not aware of it? Someone help me. Please!! ...:confused::mad::(

Yes, of course you can transfer your content from a 5U to a 3U. It's called "replication" and is "turned on" by the dealer (basically just a couple of button clicks to send authorization to your system) after you purchase the the 3U Server. (Note: the process can also be used to replicate content between other Servers you own, provided the receiving Server has at least the minimum space required to accept the incoming content.)

I've done it (for 1300+ movies, 1100+ CD's), as have several of our clients. It's very easy.

Jim

Sorry, missed Jerry's post, obviously he is correct!:eek:

Jim

Replication ends up running at roughly one TB per day. You can watch content on the receiving server during the process if you don't want to have your system offline for that long, but you don't get to choose the order the titles are transferred.

Replication ends up running at roughly one TB per day. You can watch content on the receiving server during the process if you don't want to have your system offline for that long, but you don't get to choose the order the titles are transferred.

Can you select what titles to transfer? or is it all or nothing?

All or nothing. And you used to lose your scripts, but I hear it all transfers now. What you could do if you want to delete some titles is just look at your movie list and write down the ones to delete once replication is done. Id try playing a bunch of movies to make sure everything is right on the new server, give it a week or so, and then conduct the deleting.

You can delete the titles you don't want to transfer, do the replication then undelete the titles on the source server. A little time consuming, but should do the trick.

That works too! I think if there are many titles that you want to delete it makes sense to remove them first as that will speed up the transfer, but if its just a few, you might as well let the whole thing go.

I figure if I ever add a Cinema One to my system, I will use that replication trick to move my kids content over to that unit so I can easily take their movies on the road with us without having to reload 200+ DVDs.

I figure if I ever add a Cinema One to my system, I will use that replication trick to move my kids content over to that unit so I can easily take their movies on the road with us without having to reload 200+ DVDs.

Excellent idea Mike!

Jim

Wouldn't you have deleted the grown up content? Or is just placing it in the trash (without deleting it) enough?

When you put it in the trash, it is not part of your collection, but you can undelete them as long as the system hasn't overwritten them. Just don't load new movies while your collection is partially in the trash bin.

Back