• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Titles Not in Store

I currently have 44 titles cataloged on Blu Ray that is not available in the store. I am sure that many of you have had this issue over the past several years and had to wait patiently for the titles to become available.

With that being said, I was asking the older owners that have been through this, have they seen a constant update of older titles available or is it rare they go back to do older titles if the demand is not there? I get the rights issues and things like that but some movies I have been shocked that isn't up. One title being Ransom. That was a pretty big movie back in the day.

No need to go through my list, but just wanted some feedback on expectations for the long run since I am a new Kaleidescape owner.

We have a thread with titles that people have noticed are missing. We then try to update this as titles are added. The missing titles have been showing up slowly but fairly consistently as can be seen if you look through the thread. Here is the link:

John

The studios ultimately decide what titles are made available, and I don't think K can influence those decisions.

I started with about 2200 movies that were not available in the Store, and I'm now down to about 400. It has taken a little over 8 years to get to this point (I was a Beta tester for the Store before it opened in 2013). Some of these are Criterion Collection, and obscure titles.

Jim

We have a thread with titles that people have noticed are missing. We then try to update this as titles are added. The missing titles have been showing up slowly but fairly consistently as can be seen if you look through the thread. Here is the link:

John
Thank you for that. I am going to go through it in detail

The studios ultimately decide what titles are made available, and I don't think K can influence those decisions.

I started with about 2200 movies that were not available in the Store, and I'm now down to about 400. It has taken a little over 8 years to get to this point (I was a Beta tester for the Store before it opened in 2013). Some of these are Criterion Collection, and obscure titles.

Jim
I understand scarcity and I definitely understand how the studios couldn't care less about us K owners. There are only a few titles that surprised me. Ransom being one of those. A Ron Howard film with Mel Gibson, Rene Russo, Delroy Lindo, and Gary Sinese (spelling I'm sure is off). Great film and a pretty big film, so I was surprised to not see this one. There are about 3-4 like this. I don't know the process so I didn't know if things could ever be overlooked by K that the studio had given permission to. I am new to the store so thought I would ask.

PS:
You got me beat on titles. I only have 807 so far.

I understand scarcity and I definitely understand how the studios couldn't care less about us K owners. There are only a few titles that surprised me. Ransom being one of those. A Ron Howard film with Mel Gibson, Rene Russo, Delroy Lindo, and Gary Sinese (spelling I'm sure is off). Great film and a pretty big film, so I was surprised to not see this one. There are about 3-4 like this. I don't know the process so I didn't know if things could ever be overlooked by K that the studio had given permission to. I am new to the store so thought I would ask.

PS:

You raise a good point, I've personally never asked the question about what's made available by the studios versus what K adds to the Store. I'm not clear on the selection process, assuming there is one. (Yes, it's "Sinise" :) )

Jim

PS:
“Ransom” is a Disney title that for whatever reason has not been made available for digital release:

I have verified that it is not available on Vudu nor iTunes. This could be a title that Disney is saving for Disney+. It is available on disc.

John

Thanks John. That is my only fear of buying into the K experience. What if all of the content developers say, screw Kaledeiscape? I have the disc of Ransom and I can enjoy watching it on disc but with the new K hardware not having disc drives, then it points us into a direction that we have to go in to enjoy 4k. I don't want to dig for a disc to watch a movie but now I have to dig for a player and a disc LOL.

None the less, The original Walking Tall trilogy is another great example. I just hope that not too many fall through the cracks in the long run. As Jim pointed out, there are only 400 of his movies missing, not 2200.

Back