• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Thoughts on Music with K/Is K falling behind?

Go to insert Lady Gaga's new CD today (which, is arguably a popular release) and it's recognized as: "Five Fight Songs — The William Academy".

*sigh* kscape... *sigh.

No shame in it, though I'm not so sure about this latest one...

Still, K needs to license a real database as a backup for the times when they don't get stuff in themselves. How the HECK does it match it to a CD that actually only has 5 tracks? 5 of the tracks are actually named,t he rest are named Track 6 - Track 14. Might have been an indication to a properly coded system that that's not the right CD!

haha yes, but I wouldn't bother unless you want to hear the 80's repackaged. I know I've asked this before, but is the SONOS system a legitimate alternative?

I haven't done too much digging, but I guess it's time.

I dont know about Sonos. Ive heard its good.

I like the 80s and I think Lady Gaga has the potential to be the new Madonna.

Sonus is a good system and relatively easy to install. Sooloos works well especially with large collections. Both systems integrate with internet streaming services.

There are a lot solutions on the market, my preference would be Sooloos.....it does for music what K does for movies.

I would still keep a copy of my Cd's on my K server as the failure of drives is less of an issue compared to other solutions.

I've lived with both -- well all three actually; Sonos, Sooloos and Kaleidescape -- for a bit and they are totally meant for different people. The Sonos system has probably one of the greatest interfaces and aggregation of music of anything. Sonically, though, it is nowhere near the Sooloos (especially now that Meridian has awesome-sauced it). If the Sooloos could add some more of Sonos offerings -- Pandora, Napster, Sirius/XM, Shoutcast... -- then it would smoke it. Also, I've heard that the Sonos can start to deteriorate sonically if you have multiple streams going at once. Sonically, the Sooloos is stunning, and the touchscreen is a joy to use. I use my K'scape strictly for movies and put all the music on the Sooloos system. For what it's worth...
John

It doesn't appear that sound quality is the issue here. If anyone is comparing Pandora and Rhapsody to KAL they're not really searching for the best. But if you want to try something cool, since all the outputs are hot, I run a SPDIF into a Bel Canto DAC then out to an aux input. Use Remotescape for control. Quite a nice musical experience that bypasses all the video stuff.

I have used a Music Player into a Naim DAC...sounded fine to my ears.

Streaming services are great for auditioning. CD's will still be around for a while, especially for those who have good quality audio systems.

i just learned of HD tracks and was very excited to download. saved the new music FLACs to a folder on my desktop then burned to disk to copy to KAL. Lot of work but satisfied with result.

I expect High Definition tracks will become popular in the audiophile world. I see on the HD tracks website there are various resolutions available I don't know what the maximum resolution that K will playback.

I keep mine as wav files on network storage for the time being with off-site back up. I would not like to have to buy them again! A K server would be a safe place to keep them if they are compatible. Something I will have to look into.

As far as I'm concerned the BeoSound 5 from B&O is the bees knees. The interface is absolutely wonderful (even my wife loves it) and of course musically it has the usual very high quality signal processing from B&O. Ok it doesn?t interface with any music streaming services, but I don?t use those. So K'scape for my movies and B&O for my music.

i just learned of HD tracks and was very excited to download. saved the new music FLACs to a folder on my desktop then burned to disk to copy to KAL. Lot of work but satisfied with result.

How did you import the sound files into the K scape?

Also I dont think the SPDIF output we have supports more than 44.1/16.

I agree with your method- if you want to get the best sound out of the K system then run one of the SPDIF outputs for your music- I have tested this and when running music over HDMI it gets resampled (with a minor * for when you have a DTS CD it recognizes then it bypasses the resampling- but if you have a DTS CD it does not then it does not bypass the resampling- I think this is crazy and they should just flag all music files to not be resampled- of course going with the SPDIF gets around that so its not a big issue).

As much as I would like the ability to play 192/24 music tracks stored on my K system I doubt this facility will presently be of great importance to many K owners.

Hopefully high definition music is on the K roadmap.

Yes, wishful thinking on my behalf..... I expect I will be keeping music on various different devices for some time to come. The new Meridian Media Core 600 might be a possible solution as I keep having lustful thoughts of a Sooloos system.

The sooloos looks amazing. I just don't want another system to integrate and I dont get to listen at home too often. However I took some time yesterday to do just that and going over the coax wire into my V6 Meridian 861, I have to tell you the sound quality was wonderful.

Back