• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Theatre Houses / Production opportunity cost loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snifty1

I have always said things are coming... A lot goes into negotiations. But now it's apparent and annoying. First time I have been annoyed with Kscape.

Slap in the face happened when Avengers came out last Thursday, and Friday am KSCAPE had audacity to ask for pre-order. SLAP IN MY FACE. Since then I have unsubscribed from movie store updates.

I am wanting to pay $100 for a one time viewing of this movie, maybe $150. Nothing near $200 that would be foolish.

OPPORTUNITY COST - the movie houses may be making millions on Avengers but it has obliterated all other movies, talent, and time, production, By way of crowded theatres, and dismaying people from going. I have had friends mention they were uncomfortable becasue of the people.

Lets pull away a load of people through the kscape platform for these big titles and have us view from home for a premimum price. I bet many of you ARE going to be forced to goto theatre, I dont want to hear the haters that will say they will wait. This is combo of 50 movies to one. Most will goto theatre to see this one, prefer not to hear the couple of posters that will say they will wait, that wierd for this film.

I dont want to wait 2 weeks to goto theathre like I am going to have to to be in a non - 100% full theatre, and be uncomfortable. I sound like first world problems but all of us on hear know what I am talking about.

Do you agree about the cost ? What would you pay for a title like this? Do you agree about the movie houses all though making money on one are trashing all that other work , when we could siphon off some of that crowding?

If it is a fear of losing money because there could be 10 people in a room, I am confident there can be a scalable consent form, or picture taken of room to go through system or something like this... register with how many people in home etc. etc.

Mad,
Snifty

I think you'll find, even if you don't want to hear it, that there are more than a few K owners that do not go to the theaters, for ANY film. I'm among that group, haven't been to a theater in 10 years (neither have my kids). Doesn't make me, or anyone else that doesn't visit a theater, a "hater." I don't personally care how good the film is, I'm fine waiting a couple few months, or whatever time is required, to watch it in my theater. It's not about "hating," I just prefer the benefits of my theater over a public viewing. The cost is not a factor, it's the privacy, the noise control, the rudeness that "can" come from a commercial theater, and although I'm not a germaphobe, that's an additional benefit. I also like my theater setup better.

That said, in addressing your implied comments about day/date (I think that's what you are getting at), just look at what all of these 3rd party companies have had to agree to in order to even be considered for day/date, not an easy process, so you can be sure that K is having to go through the same process, or perhaps a more complex process because of the nature of a K system. It will likely be awhile before we see day/date, or some form of day/date, assuming we ever get that capability (K doesn't make that decision).

Regarding price, I'm with others that have already stated we'd pay $200 - $500 per movie, but we'd expect ownership for those prices, and currently that appears to be a non-starter, as all other day/date companies are price "per viewing."

You sound as though you have some significant emotional content tied up in this latest Marvel release, I applaud your dedication to the series, but for me it's just another entertaining movie.

Jim

Sigh... Message boards..

I was puting the haters comment to steer people away , and preferred (notice I say prefer to be polite) people to not comment and spend their time replying to exactly you just posted about. Regarding how you wouldnt mind waiting the time for Avengers. This is an exception, and there will be others like it I think they need to throw out there.

Heres the deal, this movie and there will be others are big exceptions. 1.2 Billion in the box office opening weekend. Enough said , 4 days 1.2 billion. Going on 3 overall I bet.

Thanks for your answer on the rest. I would own for more yes, a one pump chump for a video 1-150 max. If I own it sure. Put a delay of 14 days on it if they like. But I just got very irritated with the slap in face of reserve now! in my email. Too big of a movie to wait. Yes I love my Theatre, but some movies, they are just too big..

This will be my first travel to theater since Jumanji ( don't ask..)

But I just got very irritated with the slap in face of reserve now! in my email. Too big of a movie to wait.

How is K sending an email to pre-order Avengers a slap in the face?! They're not saying, "Do not watch the movie in theaters! You must wait to watch it on your K system!". LOL, you can do both.

Read other post, and I bet....

Read the whole post,

Slap in face because we should be getting option to watch on the system, not preorder it for 3 months from now. So it is a slap in the face because it just came out the day before. What are we up to now 2 billion in sales box office ?

I'm going to the Theatre to see it tomorrow. Everyone I know has seen it already, EVERYONE. I bet many on here are in the same boat. 50 movies into this one movie kinda makes it unique to any other movie EVER , and probably in our lifetime ever again.

Just a note - all of the pre-orders come out around the day a title is released in the theater.

John

Just a note

I have owned kscape for years... Thousands of dollars into it.

I know when the pre-orders come out. I guess I am not making myself clear enough.

ITS A SLAP IN THE FACE THAT THE BIGGEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME IS STILL NOT ON A DAY AND DATE ORDER OR A 2 WEEK DELAY TO ORDER! I dont really care how hard it is to do, get it done. Do a trial movie or 2.

SLAP - AS A FIRM REMINDER THAT A MOVIE THAT IS HIGHLY ANTICIPATED FOR 10 years - 10.... AND WE STILL DONT HAVE THAT OPTION. AND WE MUST PREORDER IT. Just lame is what I am getting at.

Lower case now - Does this make it a bit more clear. I was trying not to steer it like that.

BTW, how many people do you know who have seen this thing, it is crazy, I would have just hoped this would be a done deal by now. Losing the tokens is a huge loss for me and my travel schedule, compounding this issue, this is another thread issue I am sure. Hopes, and Dreams....

I support a 2 week delay. Day of movie release will not ever happen. It won't come to that first, it will probably be bumped up closer to the date as time goes on. 14 day - 30 day - 60 day etc.

Just extremely glaring to me now that the biggest blockbuster of our lives is out , and its not available on our systems. This would have been the jam to do it on.

Your title above "Sigh....message boards" is a bit condescending.....if you don't like other opinions or comments, don't post comments that cause responses. If you spend some time on our forum you'll find that members here, unlike some other forums, tend to not exaggerate when it comes to experiences with K, and normally call out those that do in a friendly way, without sarcasm, and without condescending comments.

If you feel the need to rush off to the theater to see this life changing movie feel free, but don't try to paint others that don't share your interest as somehow being disconnected and stupid, that doesn't work here.

That said, you're entitled to your opinion, regardless of how many of us disagree with it. However, If you prefer snarky exchanges, try one of the other forums, you'll find many opportunities there....but please don't bring it here, it is not welcome.

Jim

BTW, it's fine to be critical of K, and certainly fine to push for some service that you would like to see from K.....just want to be clear.

Jim

Snifty1, don't you think if K could offer day-and-date releases, they would? As with a lot of the shortcomings K has, the issue is with the studios.

If K could offer films from every studio, best video/audio formats, all bonus features, day-and-date, etc. they would! The issue is with studio contracts.

Obviously

Obviously John hit you up being he is a moderator.

Thanks

I appreciate the low down, but I apparently wasnt being heard, feel the need to drill it in to others that are not able to follow. Some people cannot. Thats fine leads to my comment below -

Ill do no more comments, everyone on here is affluent enough to own these things but unfortunately only a few people actually post , less than 20... So its 20 people active or so on most topics.

Kinda looking for the exact OPPOSITE of what people replied on here, - agreement with me - to what I was saying... Got nothing. Which is 100% impossible to believe that I am the only k owner going to theaters to see this. The 3 people that posted are the exact people I didnt want to hear from, out of my control yes, but I guess I should ask who is seeing in theaters, - I wanted the others, the people that know what I am saying to post. So Its my fault for looking for that. So you dont have to worry about me posting about it.

Just feeling out whats up and it appears the members here dont really 1. post, or 2. there are just but a few members that are actually active, and they are dealers, die hards, dont cares.

Just looking for
Agreement of inadequacy of the product. and that it really does stink this option for day date etc hasnt happened yet especially knowing the last update had that capability of doing rentals on other movies (older ones) added... yeah I know that. Update included this.

I think you saw that based on your quick reply - Wont look for any kind of agreement again, wont get it.

You will find a lot of us want day-and-date. So on this we agree. We just don’t hold it against K that they don’t have it. The studios have all the power on when (or even if) this happens. Cheena has said they are working towards this.

I just think that this is a very complex issue and am willing to wait and see what happens going forward.

John

Snifty1,

I've been following this thread, and I'm not exactly sure who you are mad at or frustrated about here... That Avengers is such a huge movie and making so much money? That it isn't available for Day & Date viewing? Or that Kaleidescape has offered the option to pre-order the movie for download when it becomes available...?

I saw the movie in the theater opening night. I have a 3 year old and we rarely go to the commercial cinema anymore, but this was an event film that the rest of my family had been waiting years to see. I thought the movie was fantastic (though I liked Infinity War better). At 3+ hours, I didn't eat or drink anything for 8 hours prior to ensure I could make it through without a bathroom break. I generally enjoy an opening night crowd as there is a lot of energy and shared excitement, but I found the popcorn rustling, the drink slurping, the side conversations, and an infant watching YouTube videos on an iPad (not kidding) distracting and made me long for being able to watch at my own home. Also, the theater had a very noticeable blown sub that totally took me out of every bass-heavy moment. Unfortunately there is no "marquee" cinema anywhere near where I live. As much as I love my home theater (7.2.6 Atmos), it can't touch a Dolby Cinema, which is superior to any other cinema I've experienced, which includes watching movies at The Stag at Lucas Ranch.

I have written pretty extensively on the topic of Day & Date and am one of the ONLY people to ever live with and review the Prima Cinema system in my home. (I hold the record for most movies viewed in a week period, by the way.) If you'd like to learn more about the state of Day & Date, what's here now and what's on the horizon, I suggest reading these posts:

https://www.cineluxe.com/day-and-date-gets-real-pt-1/

https://www.cineluxe.com/day-and-date-gets-real-pt-2/

I also wrote a 3000+ word post on WHY I think Kaleidescape is perfectly positioned to own this market.

https://www.cineluxe.com/kaleidescape-and-day-date-pt-1/

https://www.cineluxe.com/kaleidescape-day-and-date-pt-2/

As others have stated here, the studios control this. They set the price, they set the terms, they decide if and when it will happen. This isn't Kaleidescape holding something back from users. Further, when you are talking about anything under the Disney umbrella (Marvel, Pixar, Lucas, Disney animation) you are talking about one of the MOST locked down properties out there. They have said repeatedly that the commercial cinema model works fine for them, and they aren't looking to change it. And why would they? They're making BILLIONS a year the way things are. When Disney+ streaming becomes available, maybe they'll loosen up here, but it's still HIGHLY unlikely we'll be seeing Star Wars Episode IX at home on opening night. (BTW, that's another I'll be going to the theater for; seen every Star Wars movie opening night since Jedi in '83.)

But, at current pricing, even those studios that ARE signing deals for day/date viewing, they are charging between $500-3000 PER VIEWING for the privilege, with Bel Air Cinema reportedly in the $5000-10,000 range. So, even if it were here like the blink of Thanos' gauntlet, the reality is many of us wouldn't be able to take advantage.

Not sure this addresses your concerns or frustrations, but more food for thought.
Cheers,
John

Obviously John hit you up being he is a moderator.

Thanks

I appreciate the low down, but I apparently wasnt being heard, feel the need to drill it in to others that are not able to follow. Some people cannot. Thats fine leads to my comment below -

Ill do no more comments, everyone on here is affluent enough to own these things but unfortunately only a few people actually post , less than 20... So its 20 people active or so on most topics.

Kinda looking for the exact OPPOSITE of what people replied on here, - agreement with me - to what I was saying... Got nothing. Which is 100% impossible to believe that I am the only k owner going to theaters to see this. The 3 people that posted are the exact people I didnt want to hear from, out of my control yes, but I guess I should ask who is seeing in theaters, - I wanted the others, the people that know what I am saying to post. So Its my fault for looking for that. So you dont have to worry about me posting about it.

Just feeling out whats up and it appears the members here dont really 1. post, or 2. there are just but a few members that are actually active, and they are dealers, die hards, dont cares.

Just looking for
Agreement of inadequacy of the product. and that it really does stink this option for day date etc hasnt happened yet especially knowing the last update had that capability of doing rentals on other movies (older ones) added... yeah I know that. Update included this.

I think you saw that based on your quick reply - Wont look for any kind of agreement again, wont get it.

Fair enough, we're not attacking you here, we all happen to agree that day/date would be great to have with these systems. I think what may be happening is you are recently active in the forum, but we've been discussing this subject among members for quite awhile. Day/Date is not an easy thing to get access to, as John mentioned above, there are many considerations, and in the end the individual studios control their content and when it gets released. I guess we (me) responded in that way to your post because it sounded as though you were somehow blaming K because that movie was not a day/date release, and based on my personal knowledge of this industry, I found that to be unfair.

It's fine to be an advocate for that capability, but understand who you have to advocate TO, it isn't K.

Jim

@Snifty1, forgot to mention that the Moderator was not involved in my comments, I've not heard from John related to you or your posts, those responses are directly from me. Regardless of all the back and forth comments between us (you and me), I want you to know I appreciate your participation, just keep the tone respectful of others, and they'll do the same. Disagreement is fine, it happens, but let's keep it friendly. I'm not going to comment further on this, I suggest we start over, keep it friendly, and use the PM system if we have any issues of a personal nature.:)

Jim

Given a few messages/emails from members, I'm closing this thread.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back