• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

The store has Disney, Marvel and Pixar!!!!

Some of the titles DO have Supplemental Features. The ones I have found so far are:

Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
John Carter

It gives me hope that maybe we will get Extras from Disney going forward.

John

Just received the email from K-Scape that the Premiere line will get Disney support when the operating system update is released in July. I guess the question I have is why is the new OS necessary to play Disney titles from the store - what's different with the Disney titles compared with the other studio's titles that already work on the current OS?

I hope there's some form of disc to digital option. I've had a few from Universal that the price is just silly. Certainly not buying bad teacher again. Ha!

Here is the letter to K Customers from K's CEO:

Dear Kaleidescape Customer,

I am delighted to announce that the Kaleidescape Movie Store now offers titles from Walt Disney - one of the most admired brands in the world. Animated and live-action favorites, such as Disney's Sleeping Beauty, Pixar's Finding Nemo, and Marvel's The Avengers, are available for purchase in Kaleidescape's HD format, which is renowned for bringing Blu-ray quality to Internet-delivered films.

Starting today, Disney titles are available in the United States and Canada for download and playback on the Kaleidescape Alto. Support for Disney movies on Premiere and Cinema One systems is coming soon, with a kOS software update planned for July of 2015. More details about the kOS update will be available when it is ready.

We have licensed over 700 titles from The Walt Disney Studios. About 100 of these titles are already available in our Movie Store. The additional titles will be added to our Store in the weeks to come.

We are pleased to provide you with the highest-quality Internet-delivered content from the finest Hollywood studios.

Sincerely,

Cheena Srinivasan
Founder & CEO
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Disc to Digital Conversion

Hello All

Just got back home and fired up my system to see if Disc to Digital offer is available on these titles. To my surprise no they don't have. So series like Iron Man, I still have to pay 24$ a movie to download and not $5.99 paid earlier for rest of the movies. This is a big surprise. Do we have any news on this. How is this different from what premier line owners will do. Currently they have this BR in their vault and have it play ripped copy available on their server. Will they also be asked to pay full price of $24, if they want to get rid of BR Disc from their vault?

Cheers

Raj

including associated terms and conditions as may be required."

Reading between the lines, why do I get the feeling I am only going to be more annoyed that Disney is in the store than when it wasn't? On the [potentially only] plus-side, hooray for being in the 39% who bet correctly in the studio pool. Time to start the next one.

Just received the email from K-Scape that the Premiere line will get Disney support when the operating system update is released in July. I guess the question I have is why is the new OS necessary to play Disney titles from the store - what's different with the Disney titles compared with the other studio's titles that already work on the current OS?
My guess is that newer, more draconian content management, digital rights management and/or encryption are to thank here. Perhaps Disney demanded more granular control of their titles and the kOs needs to be updated/retrofit to support it. But why have different forks of the OS for Premiere, Alto, and/or Cinema 1 lines? They all seem so similar in design from the outside.

Hello All

Just got back home and fired up my system to see if Disc to Digital offer is available on these titles. To my surprise no they don't have. So series like Iron Man, I still have to pay 24$ a movie to download and not $5.99 paid earlier for rest of the movies. This is a big surprise. Do we have any news on this. How is this different from what premier line owners will do. Currently they have this BR in their vault and have it play ripped copy available on their server. Will they also be asked to pay full price of $24, if they want to get rid of BR Disc from their vault?

Cheers

Raj

Hey Raj,

Did you buy any titles? If so, do they get added to your Ultraviolet account for playback via those supported services?

Hey Raj,

Did you buy any titles? If so, do they get added to your Ultraviolet account for playback via those supported services?

It is not going to be added to your Ultraviolet account since Disney is not a member. I am hoping that K will link to Disney Movies Anywhere so that movies I purchase through K will show up on Vudu (and vice versa).

John

Given Disney's control over their content (their right, they own it), nothing would surprise me when it comes to restrictions for access or use. Personally, I'm just happy to see another major in the store, I'd rather have them "In" with restrictions, than not be available at all, but maybe that's just me. In any case, we can speculate all day, but the details about Premiere access will be known when the new software is released.

Jim

What I would really like to know is:

1. Did K try to negotiate DMA access rights and Disney said "no", or they otherwise just didn't come to terms?

Or

2. Was new sales only the plan all along and/or DMA not pursued?

If 1, than that just sucks and maybe terms can be established in time. If the latter, then that's just a poorly managed arrangement.

I feel certain K will always be negotiating to receive the highest level of access available from all studios, it is obviously in their best interest to do so, but being just one-half of the equation, and not the controlling half, it's the studio's that decide what the relationship will look like. Perhaps if we had a Million K owners as incentive, the benefits to both parties would be balanced, but we are not there YET.

Jim

Jim, the only thing I'd add is "you can't argue with emotion."

In this case, I have to think Premier customers represent a MUCH larger percentage of total customers than Alto. And releasing Disney a couple months earlier to Alto-only customers was BOUND to make Premier customers feel a LOT left-out, even knowing "it's coming."

So having those movies a couple months earlier for Alto just to boost Alto sales a little during that time really better be worth pissing off your core customer base some, because it bothers me quite a bit. You can argue whether it should bother me if you want, but the fact is that it does.

They could have gotten most of the same effect by simply announcing Disney is coming and then launching on all platforms at the same time, IMHO. I know that's not their style, but up until now it's never been their style to release on only part of their platforms, either. This is a significant change, I think, and I don't like it one bit.

--Donnie

I'm not currently a K owner but had hoped that the addition of Disney and support for DMA would push me to buy an Alto. Unfortunately, lack of DMA support is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I have over 50 Disney/Pixar/Marvel movies on DMA, so there's no chance I'm going to purchase them all again.

Are we 100% sure that DMA connection isn't in the works? Seems like Disney takes their time with these things. They have given Google and others access to the DMA. I am with Jim, just happy to have Disney on the list, but do hope there is more to this as given the current format, seems like buying the disk is still the best option.

There are a few assumptions in recent posts, and the arguments have more merit if those assumptions (mostly about K's decision-making) are correct, but they are not. Only by knowing all the details (not likely given most of this is business contract negotiations), can we comment about K's actions and motivations. I get the frustration, but this is just a movie studio, no one is lining us up to take our heads......

Jim

Kaliedescape has never done anything but work their very hardest to keep us all enjoying our content. It would be out of character for them to change mindset now.

The reality is that if they don't have content in the store their product is less viable. They need to do what is needed to be done. They have spent MILLIONS defending our rights to import content.

Back