• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

The new Kaleidescape Mobile App has been released!

I would encourage you folks to (in the long run) to bring the apps together into a unified download and more parity in features. I always find that nicer in the iOS ecosystem having the same app listing be multi-download to iPhone/iPad vs. having individual apps.

In addition, I would further recommend adding capability to fully manage/delete content through the apps, whether on local network or away.

As I plan my entry into K, I will be a buyer that opts for just a Strato knowing my library will far surpass the storage. So, I will have to manage that storage and what is resident.

Actually, if it not there, it would great to have more involved content management on the systems. Like flags for downloaded content to not be deleted, but if a system is out of space, have it figure out what to delete (ex. oldest watched, unflagged content) automatically.

I disagree with bringing the two apps together.

I use them for totally different purposes. I use the remote controls differently and I want both of them - the heads-up remote of the iPhone app and the normal remote of the iPad app.

I use the iPad to manage my collection in terms of:

1) Naming new scenes once I have marked them.
2) Use the Cover Art view of my Collections in order to let guests pick out the movie that they would want to watch for Movie Night (the iPad app let’s you show Cocer Art view of specific Collections to limit the selection criteria to something manageable).
3) Manage my movie, music Collections - Add newly added movie and music content to specific collections.

The iPhone app I use to manage the store interaction: what new movies are available, purchasing new movies from anywhere so they can be downloading and be ready to watch that evening after work, read ratings of movies.

The one extra thing I have requested for the iPhone app is a way for K owners to share ratings of movies. I trust K owners recviews a lot more than random reviews (or even critics reviews). This is especially true when it comes to video and audio quality.

I would not use my iPhone to try to manage my collection of movies (not a big enough screen) and I don’t have my iPad with me when I am on the go so the iPhone app is perfect for managing content from the store when away from home.

John

Anyone else run into like 2-3 notifications per notification?

9c3cf81bc688a76718d629bc8c0d6731.jpg

Hi folks!

For those of you seeing multiple notifications, I'm sorry to hear that. Definitely not normal. The engineer who works on that system is looking at it right now to see if we can identify what's going on. If I need more information from any of you, I will reach out.

A question for you, JohnJ -- you say that you favor keeping the apps separate, and specifically that you want the remote functionality of the iPad. I'd love to know more about this last comment. I can understand wanting the "second screen" functionality of the iPad, for sure, but in what circumstances do you prefer using the button-based remote in the iPad app?

Looks like we've identified the issue causing at least some of the multiple notifications, and a fix is in in the works.

Steelman -- you say you regularly get two. Do you also get duplicate emails?

Hi folks!

For those of you seeing multiple notifications, I'm sorry to hear that. Definitely not normal. The engineer who works on that system is looking at it right now to see if we can identify what's going on. If I need more information from any of you, I will reach out.

A question for you, JohnJ -- you say that you favor keeping the apps separate, and specifically that you want the remote functionality of the iPad. I'd love to know more about this last comment. I can understand wanting the "second screen" functionality of the iPad, for sure, but in what circumstances do you prefer using the button-based remote in the iPad app?

Hi Mike,

My issue with the iPhone remote comes mainly when I am using it to mark new scenes. This is especially the case once I have marked the start of a new scene and want “Set End of New Scene”. I have had a couple of instances when I have had the cursor go either up or down a spot before picking the action that I want. In those cases, I have either done “Change Start of New Scene” or “Forget New Scene” instead of setting the end of the Scene. Maybe this would be better if I had a new phone that had the haptic response.

For these type of actions where an error can cause me to have to start things all over again, I prefer the iPad app or the actual remote with hard buttons.

I hope this helps.

John

I see, so it's an issue of the accuracy of the gesture control of the onscreen menu. Thanks, that's good feedback!

Yes, exactly and some of this is probably due to operator error.

John

Howdy folks! We've deployed a software update to our headend services that should resolve the multiple notification issue. If you see multiple notifications after today, please drop me a PM and let me know so that we can investigate.

I would encourage you folks to (in the long run) to bring the apps together into a unified download and more parity in features. I always find that nicer in the iOS ecosystem having the same app listing be multi-download to iPhone/iPad vs. having individual apps.

In addition, I would further recommend adding capability to fully manage/delete content through the apps, whether on local network or away.

I agree with this notion completely— especially the ability to manage/delete content remotely. I have tons of storage on my Premiere system, but currently only have a single Strato. Since most of what I buy these days is 4K content, I need to manage what’s on the Strato to allow for new downloads. When I get an email from the Kaleidescape store announcing the release of some awesome new 4K movie, I want to buy it while I’m thinking about it— even though I’m probably at work. Since I often need to delete something off the Strato to accommodate the new movie, it would be great to be able to do that in the app.

One other minor feature I would request in the meantime is a small change in how the download cue works in the store web app. Since I have combined my Premiere and Strato with a co-star, if I buy a 4K movie and an HD movie, the 4K movie will keep my HD movie from downloading if I don’t have enough space on the Strato— even though there’s lots of space on my Premiere servers and I’ve indicated that all HD movies download onto the Premiere. The cue should be smarter and not block the HD download just because I don’t have room on the Strato for the 4K movie.

Hi. Feature request: Is adding access to view and add/delete your wish list on your road map please? I'm finding I'm browsing more and more via the app and come across movies I've not heard of before or wouldn't necessarily think of buying. It would be super useful to add them to the wish list there and then, rather than having to jump onto a browser session

Yes, we are definitely intending to do this at some point in the future. Can't say when at this point but I personally hope it's sooner rather than later. And I write a lot of the iOS code. So... :rolleyes:

I suspect the answer to this is no, but can the kaleidescape iOS app use apple credit balance rather than using my App Store default card details ?

Back