• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

The Animal Kingdom (No regular theatrical English Subtitles)

leo9000

I bought The Animal Kingdom last week and was going to watch tonight but see only English Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing subtitles, no standard English subtitles as shown in US theaters. I find it distracting to watch foreign films with the descriptive notices of sounds and actions popping up in various places on the screen competing with the English subtitles. I will wait to watch until standard Subtitles are added to watch the film. Having subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing is great, but regular English subtitles should also be standard for non-English language films.

Maybe better off with "English-Dubbed" in the audio tracks and bypass the subtitles. (not the way I'd do it, but.....)

Jim

I was literally coming on here to post this same thing. Had a friend come over tonight to watch this and we saw the descriptive titles and immediately decided to watch something else. I have no issue with regular subtitles, but hate descriptive (I am not hearing impaired). @MikeKobb any way this can be looked at/fixed??

I was literally coming on here to post this same thing. Had a friend come over tonight to watch this and we saw the descriptive titles and immediately decided to watch something else. I have no issue with regular subtitles, but hate descriptive (I am not hearing impaired). @MikeKobb any way this can be looked at/fixed??
It turns out if you turn subtitles off, the English subtitles remain and the hearing impaired titles go away. Will watch now.

It turns out if you turn subtitles off, the English subtitles remain and the hearing impaired titles go away. Will watch now.
Ugh. Apologies, I’ve seen a similar glitch before on another movie.

For those who are morbidly curious: our subtitle logic was not designed to handle the case where a movie has “burned-in” subtitles as part of the actual video frame. So it sees that your system’s language preference is English, the movie’s audio is not English, and it does its best to find an English subtitle track amongst the ones that are available. And that’s how it ends up showing the SDH subtitles. I will raise this issue with the store team.

Ugh. Apologies, I’ve seen a similar glitch before on another movie.

For those who are morbidly curious: our subtitle logic was not designed to handle the case where a movie has “burned-in” subtitles as part of the actual video frame. So it sees that your system’s language preference is English, the movie’s audio is not English, and it does its best to find an English subtitle track amongst the ones that are available. And that’s how it ends up showing the SDH subtitles. I will raise this issue with the store team.
Thanks Mike!

Back