• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Terra Unresponsive Issue

Think this happened to me once. Restart your UniFi switch or whatever the Terra is connected to. Think it happened on a switch firmware update. SJ

K support replied very quickly(thanks Andre!). Reply below and I will keep you posted. I confirmed back that lights stay on and do not blink

"Please use these instructions to capture an internal log file from the system using a serial interface:
https://support.kaleidescape.com/article/Retrieving-Diagnostic-Information-Serial-Capture

Attach the resulting file to a reply to this email.

Please also take note, whenever you reboot the system, do the front panel lights come on and stay on, or do they blink at all, and let us know."
I tried 3 times for over 10 minutes each and never got anything to come up for the logs. I even completely pulled the power with the capture running and didn't get anything. My computer did detect something on the other end of the USB cable and Putty didn't throw any errors. As I said earlier, my lights stayed solid the entire time as well.

@Kostas, did yours give you anything?

Think this happened to me once. Restart your UniFi switch or whatever the Terra is connected to. Think it happened on a switch firmware update. SJ
I've restarted my entire network and unfortunately nothing has worked. I checked the logs and none of my switches had a firmware update around that time either.

Given that I'm not even getting log files from the Terra over a USB connection, I think it is pretty unhappy.

I tried 3 times for over 10 minutes each and never got anything to come up for the logs. I even completely pulled the power with the capture running and didn't get anything. My computer did detect something on the other end of the USB cable and Putty didn't throw any errors. As I said earlier, my lights stayed solid the entire time as well.

@Kostas, did yours give you anything?
Same here....

Attachments

• IMG_5363.jpeg
    IMG_5363.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
You'll be asked to reset (clear) the CMOS. (You'll need the instructions from K.)

Jim

You'll be asked to reset (clear) the CMOS. (You'll need the instructions from K.)

Jim
Sounds good. If I can avoid shipping it back and forth, happy to do whatever to get it back to working. Hopefully I'll get something from K soon. Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions.

Went through all of these steps to include resetting the CMOS and unsuccessfully trying to the serial captures. Failure on some circuit board that they don't repair. You're lucky to be under warranty. Probably next step is to pull the disks and ship them the chassis and await a replacement.

Went through all of these steps to include resetting the CMOS and unsuccessfully trying to the serial captures. Failure on some circuit board that they don't repair. You're lucky to be under warranty. Probably next step is to pull the disks and ship them the chassis and await a replacement.
Do you also have a 72TB?
Suggested in my reply to K(provided I don't have to send the drives back) to just send me a motherboard, it's fairly simple to replace. I doubt that they will do so but if it works it will save me the overseas shipping hassle... let's see.

Sounds good. If I can avoid shipping it back and forth, happy to do whatever to get it back to working. Hopefully I'll get something from K soon. Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions.

If you haven’t heard from K yet, check your spam folder. If nothing, email again. I have always gotten some type of response within 24 hours except for the time their response went to my spam folder (after a IOS update).

John

He's heard from K, we're in the process of swapping the servers by RMA.

Jim

He's heard from K, we're in the process of swapping the servers by RMA.

Jim
I still haven't heard back from K. I called them and sent an email and haven't heard anything back yet. I did just check my spam as well to make sure. It sounds like we have at least 3 people having this issue now. When I called K the tech asked if I had called earlier reporting the same issue, so I may have just gotten lost in the shuffle.

Did you check with your dealer? (They may be able to reach Support faster. FYI, support is very short of personnel at the moment, so it is taking a little longer. You can try reaching out again and remind them your system is down.)

PM me if you'd rather communicate privately.

Jim

Did you check with your dealer? (They may be able to reach Support faster. FYI, support is very short of personnel at the moment, so it is taking a little longer. You can try reaching out again and remind them your system is down.)

PM me if you'd rather communicate privately.

Jim
Will do. When I told my dealer what I'd tried already they were the ones who told me just to reach out to K directly since I'd already done everything they would have done. I'll follow up on with K on Monday.

Fair enough, if that doesn't work for some reason (it should), PM me and I'll help.

Jim

I am a new owner and purchased a terra 6tb + Strato c. Everything was working great until I started getting messages it could not connect with the server. I would unplug and restart and it would sometimes come back on but then lose connection again. Finally after a few days no amount of restarting or changing ethernet switches or cables would bring it back. My dealer came out and it just looks like the network card stopped working. Since it was less than 30 days old, I just swapped it for a terra 12 TB upgrade just paying the difference. So far no more issues. I elected the upgrade because it was likely an older manufacture date and may not be troubled like my 6TB model.

Finally got the instructions to reset the CMOS. I know this is a newbie question, but to get the top case off do you remove the two hex bolts on the back?

For anyone else reading this, yes just undo the screws and the top case slides off.

Same issue as others reported, the CMOS reset didn't fix anything for me either.

Guess I need to start finding a box and padding since it sounds like the next step is RMA.

I’m having the exact same issue described in the first post of this thread with my Compact Terra 6TB. Purchased new in May and it worked perfectly until last week. I tried the same troubleshooting steps without any solution. I sent an email to K and am waiting on a response. I sure am missing my movies. Guess I will have to whip out the old Apple TV until this all gets resolved. 😧

I’m having the exact same issue with my Terra 72, to a tee including my switch showing it only has 100mb. Can someone let me know what their resolution to this was.

Back