• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Terra Unresponsive Issue

CPickler

I'm going to reach out to KScape support when I can, but I know it may be a day or two before my schedule allows it so I wanted to see if others had any suggestions.

I was out of town all last week and when I got back I noticed that a lot of my movies were missing. The Terra and the Strato S KScape logos were lit up. However, when I go to look at the systems on the Strato, it only lists the Strato S and the Strato C. The terra is not showing up. When I look on the KScape website it says the last health check for the terra was on 7/11/2022. I have pulled the power and even changed which switch that the terra is plugged into with no change in status. In fact, when I plugged in the terra into my Ubiquiti switch it showed a 100 Base T connection instead of the 1000 Base T connection it should be using. There is no network activity that is being shown on the back of the Terra or on the switch it is connected to. The router doesn't even see the MAC address in the routing table despite there being the connection lights on the terra and switch. I moved the Strato C over to the Ubiquiti switch as well to ensure that the switch was working correctly and that was successful. I can't hit the terra's webpage or get it to respond in anyway. As soon as you apply power the light on the front turns on and the link light goes green, so the power is working.

So it sounds like the terra has locked up in a non-functional state. Any thoughts on other things to try?

I moved the Strato C over to the Ubiquiti switch as well to ensure that the switch was working correctly and that was successful.
So, the switch will show it as a connected device, when hooked-up this way, but not the router upstream, and attempts to reach it from another device on that switch don't work? Can you at list get a ping response?

So, the switch will show it as a connected device, when hooked-up this way, but not the router upstream, and attempts to reach it from another device on that switch don't work? Can you at list get a ping response?
The terra doesn't work no matter which switch it is connected to. No response to pings. The Strato S and Strato C both work just fine on multiple switches. That information was just ruling out some sort of network or port issue. Nothing else in the rack is having any problems and there were no power outages or anything my monitoring detected while I was gone.

Unplug both Ethernet and power cords from your Terra, press and hold the power button on the front for 15-20 seconds. Plug everything and power on. See if that does anything.

Looks like I have the exact same issue with my latest 72TB, not even two months old... I noticed when I was on holiday that the server was offline and when I returned I rebooted once - no connection and then the second or the third time it came back online and heard the drives spinning. This morning at 10:19am CET server went offline again and despite my tries to reboot or reset server remains offline. The light on the front turns on and the ethernet link light goes green and that's it.

Have you heard from support?

Do you have any Android devices hard wired on your network? I had a Sony OLED (with Android OS) which nuked my Control4 and Kaleidescape networks twice so far. Similarly Apple and Microsoft devices can cause the same issue. They have this so called “Limit IP tracking” function which creates phony MAC addresses on the same network which sometimes overlaps with actual MAC addresses. Typical reboot of these devices doesn’t fix the issue because they keep their LAN active during rebooting. You have to unplug them form power for a couple of minutes while your Kaleidescape grabs an IP address from your Network. It’s a long shot but give it a try before Kaleidescape support gets back.

Looks like I have the exact same issue with my latest 72TB, not even two months old... I noticed when I was on holiday that the server was offline and when I returned I rebooted once - no connection and then the second or the third time it came back online and heard the drives spinning. This morning at 10:19am CET server went offline again and despite my tries to reboot or reset server remains offline. The light on the front turns on and the ethernet link light goes green and that's it.

Mine is a 72 TB Terra as well, about the same age.

Kostas, your signature shows multiple Terras. Did you try swapping the power supplies? There might have been a power surge while you were away and toasted the power brick. Strato/S/C units have a 12V DC power supply with 1 hot and 1 cold. Terra units have 2 hot and 2 cold on the power supply to carry 2x the current. Maybe one of them is shot and you get partial power on? You could test this with a multimeter if you have one handy.

I looked into my KOS version now and it looks like there has been an update on June 15th to 10.13.0-23226. There is a change this update broke your Terra. The good news is Kaleidescape should be able to fix software issues remotely and easily. Let’s hope that it’s not a hardware failure (Other than a bad power supply which is a simple fix)

Unplug both Ethernet and power cords from your Terra, press and hold the power button on the front for 15-20 seconds. Plug everything and power on. See if that does anything.
Took me longer than I want to admit to realize the entire front swung down. I tried this and no change on my end.

I have wired Android, Microsoft, and Apple devices on my network. My Control4 is still running fine. I've got static IP Addresses assigned to my KScape gear as well as most of my TVs. I have absolutely seen what you are talking about, but I also double checked to make sure nothing had grabbed that IP or that DHCP was out of addresses to lease out.

So on the Terra plug there should be two 12V DC positive pins? I'll grab my meter and test.

My entire house is on breaker surge protection, plus my theater equipment is on additional surge protection so I don't think it was a surge, but never can tell with electricity.

Took me longer than I want to admit to realize the entire front swung down. I tried this and no change on my end.

I have wired Android, Microsoft, and Apple devices on my network. My Control4 is still running fine. I've got static IP Addresses assigned to my KScape gear as well as most of my TVs. I have absolutely seen what you are talking about, but I also double checked to make sure nothing had grabbed that IP or that DHCP was out of addresses to lease out.

So on the Terra plug there should be two 12V DC positive pins? I'll grab my meter and test.

My entire house is on breaker surge protection, plus my theater equipment is on additional surge protection so I don't think it was a surge, but never can tell with electricity.
You mentioned Ubiquiti gear. I have a Unifi setup. It doesn’t refresh very often in its default settings. So the IP addresses you see could be from 5 to 7 minutes ago. My Sony OLED with Google OS was showing the correct IP when I had this issue. I literally spent an entire day trying to figure out the cause until I unplugged everything, turned off Wi-Fi and started plugging in devices one by one. If it’s not a big trouble, unplug everything from your Ubiquiti switch, keep only your Terra plugged in, then do a reboot on the switch and your gateway.

Yes, Terra has a 4-pin socket. These are typically used for multiple different Voltages (i.e. 12V and 5V) or twice the current at the same Voltage. I don’t have a service manual for it. I am taking an educated guess here, the switch-mode power supply is highly unlikely to have multi-Voltage output, I will say both positive pins should read 12V.

Kostas, your signature shows multiple Terras. Did you try swapping the power supplies? There might have been a power surge while you were away and toasted the power brick. Strato/S/C units have a 12V DC power supply with 1 hot and 1 cold. Terra units have 2 hot and 2 cold on the power supply to carry 2x the current. Maybe one of them is shot and you get partial power on? You could test this with a multimeter if you have one handy.
In my case, both legs of 12V tested good. Also, Thank You KScape for actually printing a sticker with the pin outs on it so I didn't have to go down a Google rabbit hole to find the information.

You mentioned Ubiquiti gear. I have a Unifi setup. It doesn’t refresh very often in its default settings. So the IP addresses you see could be from 5 to 7 minutes ago. My Sony OLED with Google OS was showing the correct IP when I had this issue. I literally spent an entire day trying to figure out the cause until I unplugged everything, turned off Wi-Fi and started plugging in devices one by one. If it’s not a big trouble, unplug everything from your Ubiquiti switch, keep only your Terra plugged in, then do a reboot on the switch and your gateway.
I have an Araknis router and WAPs. The switches that the KScape gear was originally plugged into was Pakedge. I just tried moving them over to the Ubiquiti gear to rule out the network as the issue. They are back plugged into the Pakedge for the past while.

The old Premiere servers use Intel based off the shelf motherboards. The serial ports in the back spits out diagnostic codes on start up. I haven’t opened up my Terra since it’s still under warranty. There must be a way to put it in diagnostics mode and get some readings. I see a micro-usb port labeled ”Service”. I also see a hole next to the micro-usb socket. It looks like it is a network reset button. Maybe try that?

This sounds like a real issue. Since the server is under warranty, I recommend waiting for K to get back to you on how to trouble shoot. They will give you step-by-step directions on how to get diagnostic codes that K can use to decide how to proceed.

John

Do you have any Android devices hard wired on your network? I had a Sony OLED (with Android OS) which nuked my Control4 and Kaleidescape networks twice so far. Similarly Apple and Microsoft devices can cause the same issue. They have this so called “Limit IP tracking” function which creates phony MAC addresses on the same network which sometimes overlaps with actual MAC addresses. Typical reboot of these devices doesn’t fix the issue because they keep their LAN active during rebooting. You have to unplug them form power for a couple of minutes while your Kaleidescape grabs an IP address from your Network. It’s a long shot but give it a try before Kaleidescape support gets back.
Hey M. Nope nothing. Really appreciate your input here though !

K support replied very quickly(thanks Andre!). Reply below and I will keep you posted. I confirmed back that lights stay on and do not blink

"Please use these instructions to capture an internal log file from the system using a serial interface:
https://support.kaleidescape.com/article/Retrieving-Diagnostic-Information-Serial-Capture

Attach the resulting file to a reply to this email.

Please also take note, whenever you reboot the system, do the front panel lights come on and stay on, or do they blink at all, and let us know
."

K support replied very quickly(thanks Andre!). Reply below and I will keep you posted. I confirmed back that lights stay on and do not blink

"Please use these instructions to capture an internal log file from the system using a serial interface:
https://support.kaleidescape.com/article/Retrieving-Diagnostic-Information-Serial-Capture

Please also take note, whenever you reboot the system, do the front panel lights come on and stay on, or do they blink at all, and let us know."
Thanks for sharing. I'm waiting for my email from support, so I'll go ahead and gather the logs. Yeah my lights are behaving the same way.

Please also take note, whenever you reboot the system, do the front panel lights come on and stay on, or do they blink at all, and let us know."
That’s very quick indeed. Let us know. This could happen to any Terra.

Back