• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Terra Server questions

dlittle

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
A couple of Terra Server questions:

1) On the settings page for capacity and available storage, terabytes are only listed to one decimal (IE 100 GB). Is it possible to see the capacity listed in GB?

2). Does Kaleidescape have a “maximum fill” recommendation of Terra servers before performance is affected? Does this change depending on which capacity of server you have (24, 48, or 72 TB)?

Thanks

1. Not that I'm aware of, I believe that's set in the software (not an option to change).

2. IIRC, this is automatically calculated and controlled by the software. I assume the servers still hold back some space for updates, etc., but I don't know that number. Perhaps Mike or John from K can provide additional info. Obviously it will tell you when you do not have enough storage to download content.

Jim

1) On the settings page for capacity and available storage, terabytes are only listed to one decimal (IE 100 GB). Is it possible to see the capacity listed in GB?

2). Does Kaleidescape have a “maximum fill” recommendation of Terra servers before performance is affected? Does this change depending on which capacity of server you have (24, 48, or 72 TB)?

Thanks
When I was on the last TB on my 72TB Premiere 3U server, it showed the remaining capacity in GBs. I don’t know if Terra will do the same but I would say probably.

There is no setting available to change the display units for free space. However, as @Substance mentions, if/when your Terra's storage drops below 1 TB of free space, the displayed units will switch to GB:
1630326332257.png1630326355642.png
If you've got room to download it, go ahead. kOS automatically sets aside a "low watermark" reserve of disk space for things like guide ball parsing, cover art processing, etc. There is no need to manually maintain a reserve. As for performance, there is a bit of a performance hit as the size of your library grows however, the number of servers has a greater impact on performance than does the size of the storage in each server. In other words, if you have a very large library, from a performance standpoint, it's better to have those titles on one or two servers with larger drives than it is to have them spread across 4 servers with smaller drives.

Back