• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Terra Server Failure

John_C

What is the general experience with reliability on Kaleidescape equipment? My Terra server just failed, literally two months after the warranty expired. The behavior was weird; the Terra would get a physical layer link on the ethernet connection but then would never request an IP address or send any data at all. Apparently the main board failed. I hope that is a outlier because the company made absolutely no allowances in recognition of its rather limited lifespan. They are replacing the main board for $1,350 (plus shipping and additional labor costs to move the drives).

My experience has been good to this point, and none of the clients and friends that have one have had a problem AFAIK. That said, these are electronics, and there will always be failures. Many years ago a friend had two Players fail within 30 days. We originally thought he was just unlucky, but he eventually found that he had very poor voltage over/under and purchased a Torus Power AVR for his equipment. He never had another problem to my knowledge.

That said, I suspect you were unlucky and got a bad one, but given the age of the Terra Server (still young), we'll have to wait to see how well they hold up over time.

Jim

Back