• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Terra Prime Solid State Drive (SSD)

sarahstaar

I'm in the process of planning out my first ever K system.

Looking at the specs and my movie watching habits I don't see the point in having a lot of local storage.

At the moment I have over 1500 movies on Blu-ray and 4K disc.

Here are my thoughts....

I'm thinking about purchasing a Compact Terra Prime - 8 TB w/ Solid State Drive (SSD).

Let's say I've purchased 1,000 movies and they all all held on the K server.

Whenever I want to watch a movie I can download it, apparently with the SSD K, it only takes four or five minutes to download which is fine.

After I watch the movie I will delete it from the local storage.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

Hopefully this should be possible because fibre broadband has literally just been installed outside our house.

How does the K Library software work when all your movies are held in the cloud?

Looking at the specs and my movie watching habits I don't see the point in having a lot of local storage.

Here are my thoughts....

I'm thinking about purchasing a Compact Terra Prime - 8 TB w/ Solid State Drive (SSD).

Whenever I want to watch a movie I can download it, apparently with the SSD K, it only takes four or five minutes to download which is fine.

Hopefully this should be possible because fibre broadband has literally just been installed outside our house.

How does the K Library software work when all your movies are held in the cloud?
That’s what I thought I would do but about a year and a half later I added a 48TB Terra to avoid having to constantly juggle content.

The onscreen display will only show what’s downloaded to the server.

If you use custom scenes or scripting for playlists, that stuff gets deleted when you delete a title.

It’s easy to redownload, but it removes a piece of the convenience I was wanting when I purchased Kaleidescape.

I have 50TB of storage (10TB Strato w/40TB Terra) which allows for a lot of movies locally, but I would still like to see every one of my movies onscreen ... I'd guess there are 300ish titles not downloaded currently. I routinely delete movies that I don't anticipate watching again soon, but this is a tough juggling act because things like custom cover art and what collection a movie belongs to are purged after you delete a title. It is a simple process to delete and download, but if you spend a lot of time curating your collection, you'll be spending double time or more with titles you may delete and download repeatedly.

With 8TB, the K website says you can fit 125 4K title which is a great start and may be perfect for what you want to do, but as most here can attest to, you'll fill that quicker than you realize and have to start the delete and download game (or purchase another Terra).

What ever you decide, you are sure to love the system.

Andy

Here are my thoughts....

As an enthusiast, who's also a dealer, I would suggest getting the largest server you can afford. I've played the game you're describing here, with my 20TB capacity system, and I will definitely be going larger, even if it's only 22TB, at the earliest opportunity, strictly for the convenience.

That’s what I thought I would do but about a year and a half later I added a 48TB Terra to avoid having to constantly juggle content.

The onscreen display will only show what’s downloaded to the server.

If you use custom scenes or scripting for playlists, that stuff gets deleted when you delete a title.

It’s easy to redownload, but it removes a piece of the convenience I was wanting when I purchased Kaleidescape.

Best advice, I was planning on going down that rabbit hole of getting a 8TB SSD Terra for quick downloads - your advice/experience is priceless.

Best advice, I was planning on going down that rabbit hole of getting a 8TB SSD Terra for quick downloads - your advice/experience is priceless.
Though to be fair, when coupled with the cost of the player, the 6TB Compact Terra made the most sense. I thought about a 12TB but that wouldn't have been any different.

It's a great way to get into the ecosystem, see just how much storage you're going to need in real-world use, and then go from there. You don't have to get rid of the smaller server, I didn't ditch the 6TB when I bought the 48TB. They work just fine together and if I need to upgrade again, then I'll swap the 6TB for something bigger.

Though to be fair, when coupled with the cost of the player, the 6TB Compact Terra made the most sense. I thought about a 12TB but that wouldn't have been any different.

It's a great way to get into the ecosystem, see just how much storage you're going to need in real-world use, and then go from there. You don't have to get rid of the smaller server, I didn't ditch the 6TB when I bought the 48TB. They work just fine together and if I need to upgrade again, then I'll swap the 6TB for something bigger.

I am all set the a Encore 3U server for BD and Stratos C and a 40TB Terra - invested in K since 2011.
My appetite for rat packing movies is reducing as I get older (and not many good movies these days anyway), simply buy a movie when it is time to watch and for that purpose the 8TB SSD would be a good addition BUT Kaleidescape does not let you direct where (which drive) you can download the movie.
And turning components off to direct the movie to the 8TB SSD defeats the purpose of instant gratification.
Also K not displaying all the movies you own on the list/covers - only those on local drives - does not motivate me to get a SSD also.

I plan to sell my 72TB Terra and go for 2 new 96TB Terra Prime servers by 2025. I also have a 72TB Premiere 3U server for SD and HD movies.

I agree with todo, there aren't many new good movies nowadays but there are many older catalog films I would like to have on my library.

Back