• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Temporarily moving a Strato (with storage)

steelman1991

Hi folks

I have friend who is considering buying into Kaleidescape, but would like to see it work in his home.

Is it possible to take my Strato from my system and hook it up in his house. Would it have to be removed from the system and re-registered at the other address with his IP address?

You do not re-register the Strato. You can play the content at the other location, just power it up, connect to the display by HDMI, and play the content stored in the Strato. (don't forget a remote control)

Jim

Of course it does - I do tend to overthink things. Thanks for the reminder to take the remote lol

Does the same process exist for the Terra - or are we then into removing and re-pairing etc in the new location.

Thanks Jim

The Server can be moved as well, but as is normal, they need to be connected on the same LAN if you want the Strato to pull Terra content.

Jim

You mentioned that you have a Terra as well. If you take only the Strato to another location without removing it from your system, and you connect it to the network at your friend's house, you will create what's called a "Split System", because components from the same system are no longer on the same LAN. This will cause playback authorizations to be revoked for all store content on all components until you get the components back on the same LAN again.

Assuming that you're just taking it over yourself and then bringing it home again, I'd suggest just turning off your other storage components before you go and leaving them off while you have the Strato at your friend's house. Or of course take all storage components with you.

You mentioned that you have a Terra as well. If you take only the Strato to another location without removing it from your system, and you connect it to the network at your friend's house, you will create what's called a "Split System", because components from the same system are no longer on the same LAN. This will cause playback authorizations to be revoked for all store content on all components until you get the components back on the same LAN again.

Assuming that you're just taking it over yourself and then bringing it home again, I'd suggest just turning off your other storage components before you go and leaving them off while you have the Strato at your friend's house. Or of course take all storage components with you.
Thanks Mike. I will be taking it and bringing it back. No way he’s getting to keep it 😂. I think I’ll just take both components to make it easier.

Derek

Sorry, I assumed he was temporarily removing from his current system.

(Apologies Derek, I should have confirmed that in my answer. This is why we let Mike hang around.... :ROFLMAO:)

Jim

Sorry, I assumed he was temporarily removing from his current system.

Yeah, doing that would be a bit tricky since the introduction of our content restoration feature. If you were to remove the Strato with storage from your system, leaving the Terra, then the Terra would begin downloading the movies that are on the Strato, so that you don't lose access to movies that were in your library. (NOTE: by "remove" I don't mean just pick it up and carry it away; I mean using the "Remove from system" button on the BI to remove the component from the system.)

That feature was intended for cases where you might be retiring a component or perhaps removing a failed component. Temporary removal was not really an eventuality that we considered.

Back