• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

"System Snapshot" function

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Haven't seen this discussed much and I'm betting many users don't think or know much about it.

In your installer web interface, ("preferences" tab) there's an option to store a System Snapshot. In essence, it backs up many parameters pertaining to your movie collection that you could otherwise lose if you have to reload disks.

Taking a snapshot stores a small backup file securely on your disk array (not on your PC) that contains things like where your "Paused" markers are in your movies, what collections each movie belongs to, your Favorite Scenes, any manually-changed movie metadata or cover art, your passwords, scripts, music mix albums, etc.

These are all things you'd lose if you had a system problem that caused you to have to reload your movies and music.

It takes just a few seconds, and a single click to back up your system snapshot every month or two... doing so could save you a TON of time if you ever have to reload your movies!

Here's another way to use System Snapshot to save time. I'm busy freeing up space on my drives by removing supplemental disks to hundreds of my movies. As you may know, there's no way to remove only disk 2 of a movie, you have to delete the whole movie and reload only disk 1. Doing that takes away all your favorite scenes, as well as what collection(s) each movie belonged to. So I did a System Snapshot, deleted a few dozen multi-disc movies, reloaded the single-disc version, restored from Snapshot and everything about my collection is back - paused markers, collection membership, favorite scenes. Piece of cake. (And now room for 50 more movies without buying more drives!) Without System Snapshot save/restore, I'd have had to reload my FSs, manually reassign each of those movies to the collections I had them in, etc.

--josh

Last edited:
Very nice use of the back-up Josh.:)

Jim

Now that I'm thinking about it, wouldn't it make even more sense for the Snapshot info to also get uploaded to Kaleidescape (the company, not the device) and backed up there? That way, if a REAL disaster happened, the file could get retrieved from the cloud and your system restored nicely.

For reasons not entirely clear to me, the System Snapshot function is being removed by Kaleidescape. Apparently, it was never intended for consumer use but was designed for dealer machines so they could quickly be returned to a known state. KEAOS v3.8 will have the function hidden entirely from users.

So ignore the entire thread above... :(

--josh

Interesting... Im guessing it will automatically perform this function at a set interval from now on.

Back