• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

System review/calibration?

mootang

Wanted to reach out to the community to see if there may be any contact recommendations for a review of my current HT system/setup and sound/video calibration. I am located in Nashville and it is a bit confusing as there does not appear to be any qualified folks that I’ve been able to gather interest in helping or that are generally familiar with some component brands in the system. It appears these days if you’re not willing to work with a big box store, Magnolia/Best Buy, one appears to be generally on their own.
My components are not overly exotic, Marantz 8805, Sony 885 4K projector, etc. and they may be fairly simple adjustments I can tweak or are pretty good ‘out of the box’, I simply would like a tune-up or comments for any improve,ents. For ex., I was navigating through the menu on our Sony 885 projector and found an ‘Auto-calibration‘ feature and ran it......any experiences with the general effectiveness of this feature?

I wouldn't use the auto-calibration feature as a substitute for a professional calibration. The feature is there to deal with color shifts that usually occur as lamps age. It is an internal calibration that does not use light/color meters when making adjustments, and it will not properly support grayscale and fine detail color adjustments. I am not saying a professional calibration is needed for all displays. I've always believed that decision is personal, and you may be happy with what you see after working the user adjustments available on the display.

If, on the other hand, you're one of the AV hobby nuts that we forum people tend to be, then you will likely benefit from a professional calibration, especially considering the improvements a good calibration can bring to HDR and color accuracy.

Many years ago I decided to test the impressions of several neighbors when it came to calibration. I had a fully calibrated Sony 5000 using custom settings, and one of the standard settings supplied by Sony. The short story is that after going back and forth between the settings, using various content (BR, UHD, HDR, Dish), only one of these neighbors selected the custom calibrated setting as their favorite, while the other two preferred the Sony standard settings. Frankly, this was not unexpected, visual senses differ from person to person, so the value of calibration is to some extent based on these differences.

Jim

For curiosities sake: How would remote Calibration work?
It can actually mean a few things. Let's take the OP for example. I am EXTREMELY familiar with the Sony 885ES. I've calibrated LOTS of them and I did a full review of it for Sound and Vision magazine. I know what settings work best for most usage cases right off the bat, so I could do a consult where we just make sure everything is optimized in that sense. That would be a bit of a remote consult. The next is actual instrumented calibration. I offer this service here in my lab for folks that want it done but are not in an area I am currently touring. I have them ship the projector to me and I set it up in my lab and emulate their setup. So I put the projector at the same throw distance and zoom they are using now and take all my measurements off the same screen material (I have samples of just about every screen material on the market). This delivers a result that will be very close to what they would get with me in house. I do this quite often with fantastic results and in most cases for the same price or less than it would have cost to bring me out for a calibration (especially for folks that are not in an area I have a planned tour through).

I also do offsite custom configurations for Lumagen video processors, and setup support for most projectors and source components.

I know I probably don't need to tell you guys this, but both Kris and Adam (last two posts) are at the top of any list when it comes to calibration. You would be well served by both of these guys.

Jim

It can actually mean a few things. Let's take the OP for example. I am EXTREMELY familiar with the Sony 885ES. I've calibrated LOTS of them and I did a full review of it for Sound and Vision magazine. I know what settings work best for most usage cases right off the bat, so I could do a consult where we just make sure everything is optimized in that sense. That would be a bit of a remote consult. The next is actual instrumented calibration. I offer this service here in my lab for folks that want it done but are not in an area I am currently touring. I have them ship the projector to me and I set it up in my lab and emulate their setup. So I put the projector at the same throw distance and zoom they are using now and take all my measurements off the same screen material (I have samples of just about every screen material on the market). This delivers a result that will be very close to what they would get with me in house. I do this quite often with fantastic results and in most cases for the same price or less than it would have cost to bring me out for a calibration (especially for folks that are not in an area I have a planned tour through).

I also do offsite custom configurations for Lumagen video processors, and setup support for most projectors and source components.
KDeering,
I'm using a VPL-VW600ES Sony Projector. Are you familiar with this model and it's abilities?
I think I did an auto calibration a couple years ago and it seems good, but I have no idea what the potential of this projector is if properly calibrated.
I'd be interested in discussing with you your thoughts on my setup and your rates.
Do you ever get in to the Norman, Oklahoma area?
Thanks,
Chris

Interesting when watching a movie recently, the Dolby TruHD Atmos shows up as the signal on the Marantz 8805 receiver display, but the output speakers that are highlighted don’t show sound output to the overhead speakers on the display. The Marantz app highlights the typical 5 speakers with LFE and also SBL and SBR being the active signal input. I only have 1 pair of overhead speakers configured as Top Middle.
shouldn't True HD Atmos have more input/output speakers active?

Back