• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Supplemental Contebt

JohnJ

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Supplemental Content

I finally took the time to organize my store downloads by studio. I then checked supplements for each studio. I did not count extra audio commentary as "extras" but I did count all video extras. When I do this I get the following:

Warner Bros: ALL have supplemental content
Lionsgate: 0 out of 68 have supplemental content
Sony: 0 out of 70 have supplemental content
NBCUniversal: 0 out of 54 have supplemental content

Since WB content is added consistently, I conclude that K is adding all the content that they are receiving. They must not be receiving the extras from the other three studios.

It does not really bother me to not have all the supplements but I am sure there are some that care very much about this.

I just wanted to post what I am seeing now that i have things organized for those that are interested.

If anyone is seeing supplements on any of the studios that I am not please post.

John

Last edited:
Good research John. It will be interesting to see if anyone has received supplemental content from the studio's you noted. I suspect, but don't know for certain, that some studios are not allowing that content as part of the download. I've have been told there are many movies that do not have supplemental content in the download version in contrast with the physical disc version, but I thought that was limited to specific movies, not the full studio line. Your evidence suggests it's the studios.

Jim

I actually started recording the differences while vetting them to determine if I could free the vault slot, but hadn't figured it was worth trying to find some way for supplement-preferred individuals to keep track, at least until the recent uptick of interest.

My results aren't too far different from John's. WB has a very-high chance of having all extras (not including trailers, promos, or those reliant on the disc-menu like most slideshow/galleries, Easter Eggs, and most video-commentaries,) and nearly all have at least something. Lionsgate has an incredibly low chance of having anything. I do agree on being 0-fer with Sony and Universal. Three Sony discs and one WB were even noted as not including all the audio/subtitle tracks or commentaries.

As noted in one of the other threads, it is odd that many of the download sizes look to equivalent to the retail copies. Hopefully it's just a bookmarking issue, but I would think having a fully mapped retail disc would greatly expedite the process.

Per the other thread I started on a similar subject in evaluating a K system, seeing those numbers is extremely disappointing.

Personally, I really wish K and the studios could have a meeting of the minds to simplify things in the next round of contracts down to how I originally expected it to work: All you are really buying is the entitlement to not have the disc in tray/vault. If folks want to buy & download a reduced or feature-only version from the store at the same time, more power to them. For those of us willing to pay for retail copies and then potentially get surcharged (automatic rights via UV would likely bite the dust in this scenario, so K doesn't have to be too aggressive in redistributing vault R&D costs among fewer units,) more power to us too. The studio is still getting at least the same cut they otherwise would have from those of us buying retail versions.

Back