• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Suggest me a system

Substance

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
New to the forum. I have a very large physical media collection. Several hundred DVDs, three thousand or so Blu-rays and close to four hundred 4K UHD Blu-rays. Also, several dozens of region 2/ region B DVDs and Blu-rays. Can you recommend me a system to accommodate most of these? I have the following thoughts, please correct me if I am wrong.

1- No solutions to integrate 4K UHD discs, I will keep my Oppo player for those.
2- Get a Strato S 12TB for starters for all newly added content.
3- Get a Terra 40TB later as the digital library grows.
4- Get CoStar or CoStar license for my Lumagen Radiance Pro to integrate with one of the three below,
a- Get a grandfathered C1 to import DVDs and catalog Blu-rays. Can I link a second C1 to import 1200 DVDs?
b- Get an Alto to catalog DVDs and Blu-rays. Any benefit of doing this over a grandfathered C1?
c- Get a grandfathered Premiere 1U+ Server, an M500 player and multiple Vaults to import DVDs and Blu-rays. Can I use an M700 Vault instead of an M500 player?

1. Correct
2. Makes sense
3. Makes sense
4. Agree, and given you have the Rad Pro, I'd go with that Co-Star option. (works fine, and is less expensive)
a- that would work. Yes, you can add another C1 and double the storage.
b- that works. If just cataloging discs then no difference
c- that works. (I use 1U+ servers now as well.) Yes, if you need BOTH players and Vaults, then the M700 is the way to go (unless you can find a better deal for a DV700 + M500).

Jim

Without knowing a budget (which I wouldn't necessarily post publicly), and your priorities regarding content (keep buying discs, shop mostly at K Store, UHD, convert to digital, etc.), it's difficult to provide system advice. I will say that your general understanding of the systems is very good considering your post implies you're new to K, and I think you'd be satisfied using the components from your list, with the specific equipment pairing to be determined by the content breakdown in your system (current and planned).

Jim

Just to add a small point to #1, if your 4K UHD includes the BD, you could catalog the BD and “upgrade” that title in the Kaleidescape using the disc to digital feature. The BD to 4K is a slightly higher cost than a direct BD to BD quality digital transfer for many movies (but disc to digital is not available for all studies the biggest names I’ve seen are: Disney, Mgm, most twentieth century).

You may also need a region 2/B player for those discs, even once imported into a Premiere system. The region codes for a player (M300, M500, M700) can only be changed 4 times, so it is best to have a dedicated player for the second region. I have no experience with the C1 or Alto, but this does apply to the Premiere system. Sometimes, once a region 2/B disc is properly recognized by the K. movie guide, it will play on a region 1/A system, but many times it will not. It seems blu-rays are most liable to need the appropriate region player. There is discussion somewhere in the forum on further region issues. You could add this additional player in the future if needed after trying without it.

Regards,

Wayne

My understanding with regards to region on K is for DVD you need to import it on that specific region’s device. But you can play back that content from any region player. In other words, region check is done at the importing level.

For BD, you can import from any region device but playback must be done on that specific region’s player. In other words, region check is done at the playback level.

I only have first hand experience with regional DVDs, so I find the above to be true for DVD. I keep a region 2 M500 around just for imports but can play back the content on any of my M300/M500 watching zones.

1. Correct
2. Makes sense
3. Makes sense
4. Agree, and given you have the Rad Pro, I'd go with that Co-Star option. (works fine, and is less expensive)
a- that would work. Yes, you can add another C1 and double the storage.
b- that works. If just cataloging discs then no difference
c- that works. (I use 1U+ servers now as well.) Yes, if you need BOTH players and Vaults, then the M700 is the way to go (unless you can find a better deal for a DV700 + M500).

Jim
Thank you. Very helpful.

Without knowing a budget (which I wouldn't necessarily post publicly), and your priorities regarding content (keep buying discs, shop mostly at K Store, UHD, convert to digital, etc.), it's difficult to provide system advice. I will say that your general understanding of the systems is very good considering your post implies you're new to K, and I think you'd be satisfied using the components from your list, with the specific equipment pairing to be determined by the content breakdown in your system (current and planned).

Jim
My budget would struggle with 4c on my OP. At least initially. I moved from Boston Mass to Laguna Beach California. Space has become an issue here but I still have a soft spot for physical media. I think it is best to have a synergistic system that can do both with some compromises that I can easily live with.

Having multiple Vaults to house majority of my Blu-ray collection has about the same foot print as that many Blu-ray cases take. It makes it very convenient but also increase my cost significantly. It would probably cost about the same as to pay the upgrade to digital fee as buying a couple of 1U+ servers and half a dozen vaults.

I like to browse my movies on shelves and pick one the old school way (kinda like the video stores) My family likes to browse it on screen. Having the capability to catalog my library would allow both nicely. They would still need to go grab the disc but finding what to watch is usually a bigger challenge. I can perhaps convert some of the discs to digital too.

Having said all this, I think now the list is narrowed down to Cinema 1 and Premiere. I need to figure out how many DVDs I care to import. They are mostly TV shows. I like the idea of not swapping discs while binge watching TV shows.

Just to add a small point to #1, if your 4K UHD includes the BD, you could catalog the BD and “upgrade” that title in the Kaleidescape using the disc to digital feature. The BD to 4K is a slightly higher cost than a direct BD to BD quality digital transfer for many movies (but disc to digital is not available for all studies the biggest names I’ve seen are: Disney, Mgm, most twentieth century).
I appreciate the point. Most of them indeed comes with Blu-ray copy. I don’t rewatch my movies very many times like I used to but I can see I will upgrade at least a handful of them to digital. Strato is attractive to me due to some of the physical media releases skipped 4K UHD version but Kscape has these on the store. I will continue to buy discs on some titles because I like the cover arts and packaging on some titles. I still have a ton of Laserdiscs for that reason.

You may also need a region 2/B player for those discs, even once imported into a Premiere system. The region codes for a player (M300, M500, M700) can only be changed 4 times, so it is best to have a dedicated player for the second region. I have no experience with the C1 or Alto, but this does apply to the Premiere system. Sometimes, once a region 2/B disc is properly recognized by the K. movie guide, it will play on a region 1/A system, but many times it will not. It seems blu-rays are most liable to need the appropriate region player. There is discussion somewhere in the forum on further region issues. You could add this additional player in the future if needed after trying without it.

Regards,

Wayne
Having some work around is nice to have. I am not too concerned at this time but I may change my mind later like you said. I am thinking my region modded Oppo can handle the 4K UHD discs and other region Blu-ray/DVDs on those rare occasions. Since my move, space has become an issue. Not only for my physical media collection but my equipment rack as well. I am hoping to have a minimal system with some compromises. This will be one of those compromises.

Can a grandfathered C1 play Blu-rays from a Vault without importing them? I guess Alto can but then it can’t import DVDs.

My understanding with regards to region on K is for DVD you need to import it on that specific region’s device. But you can play back that content from any region player. In other words, region check is done at the importing level.
This is correct. Once the content is imported to a grandfathered server (Premiere or Cinema One 2nd Gen) it can be played by any player regardless of that player's DVD region code.

NOTE: For cataloged content (on an Alto with a Disc Server or a non-grandfathered Premiere system), you would need to play the disc in player with the appropriate region code.

For BD, you can import from any region device but playback must be done on that specific region’s player. In other words, region check is done at the playback level.
This is mostly correct however there's a bit of nuance to it:
As stated above, you can import any Blu-ray disc using any player in your system regardless of its Blu-ray region.
For playback:
Fully bookmarked Blu-ray disc content (i.e. discs with a "Play Movie" menu item) can be played by any player in the system as long as there is at least one player in the system that matches the disc's region code.

For example, let's say I have a Premiere system with 2 M500 players (1 Region A; 1 Region B) and an M700 Disc Vault that is Region C. With this set up I can play any bookmarked Blu-ray disc that is imported on my system on any player.

Unrecognized or non-bookmarked Blu-ray discs (those that only have a "Play Disc" menu item) can only be played by a player whose Blu-ray region code matches the disc being played.

This is true for catalogued content as well.

It looks like 4c from my OP makes the most sense. A premiere system is scalable. Ideally it would be awesome if I could convert all my DVDs and BDs to digital and never bother with a premiere system but most of my DVDs and BDs aren’t available in their store.

Is the K-Raid relevant on 1U units? If one drive fails, it can rebuild from the parity drive but can you even buy replacement drives anymore?

Did anyone try cloning drives? I take it the software does a serial number check on the HDD? There are ways to clone hardware Id and serial numbers too. I guess one can swap the controller boards if it comes to it. Did anyone try any of these before?

These numbers are both estimates, and subject to change daily. In addition, there may be someone willing to pay more based on their needs.

3U's (based on storage, condition, and warranty) $2K chassis only, no drives, otherwise with storage $2500 to $4K.
1U+ 30TB is still $18500 retail (they may have a couple available at K in the coming weeks, check with your dealer) That said, I only know of 4 resales myself, lowest I'm aware of was $12,500 for a quick sale. These still have good value because all are still under warranty, and can be extended up to 5 years. K has already stated they will continue to offer Support for the 1U+ throughout any warranty periods. Many of us moved to the 1U+ (I still have 2) to protect our Premiere content, especially content that is not in the K Store.

Jim

These numbers are both estimates, and subject to change daily. In addition, there may be someone willing to pay more based on their needs.

3U's (based on storage, condition, and warranty) $2K chassis only, no drives, otherwise with storage $2500 to $4K.
1U+ 30TB is still $18500 retail (they may have a couple available at K in the coming weeks, check with your dealer) That said, I only know of 4 resales myself, lowest I'm aware of was $12,500 for a quick sale. These still have good value because all are still under warranty, and can be extended up to 5 years. K has already stated they will continue to offer Support for the 1U+ throughout any warranty periods. Many of us moved to the 1U+ (I still have 2) to protect our Premiere content, especially content that is not in the K Store.

Jim
1U+ is beyond my budget, given I need a Strato S and a couple of vaults also. Is the newer 1U+ faster than the older 1U or 3U units? Any other benefit besides warranty, larger drives and support?

1U+ is beyond my budget, given I need a Strato S and a couple of vaults also. Is the newer 1U+ faster than the older 1U or 3U units? Any other benefit besides warranty, larger drives and support?

Just the 3 you mentioned AFAIK. The servers are really defined by their available storage, and their capability for simultaneous playbacks. It's the Player side that determines video/audio quality (obviously). I have not experienced any speed increase (starting, or moving between, content) with the 1U+ servers, but wouldn't expect to either. All 3 of the servers you mentioned are capable of 15 simultaneous playbacks.

Jim

Just the 3 you mentioned AFAIK. The servers are really defined by their available storage, and their capability for simultaneous playbacks. It's the Player side that determines video/audio quality (obviously). I have not experienced any speed increase (starting, or moving between, content) with the 1U+ servers, but wouldn't expect to either. All 3 of the servers you mentioned are capable of 15 simultaneous playbacks.

Jim
Makes sense. Thank you.

Back