• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Subwoofer Choice

House72

Hello All

I am getting ready to finalize the design and start my media room build with in next month or so. We plan to have 4 sub woofers , two in the front baffle wall and two in the back wall with rack mounted amplifier.

I now have two choices for Sub Woofers:

1. Sealed Sub that is capable of doing 10Hz but -6db@20HZ (or)
2. Ported Sub that cannot go down to 10Hz but -3db@20HZ.

Cost difference in chasing 10HZ is $6K more. I have only used Sealed Sub before (4 seaton submersive) and never tried ported Sub. Appreciate any feedback people can give.

Cheers

What subs are you looking at? What are your goals? Reference level capability down to 10Hz? More than reference? How big is your room? Are you planning to use BEQ?

I am working with Nyal at Acoustic Frontiers.

My room is a dedicated media room 19 feet 11 inches wide and 19 feet 8 inches inches long and 12 feet tall.

I am considering two options for sub:

1. Pro Audio Sound Slim Sub System - Slim Sub System
2. Harbottle Audio - 4 x R115AF subwoofers, Sealed cabinet with 15" carbon fiber coned driver, neodymium magnet, 25mm of xmax.
- 1 x 422D amplifier, this is a 4 x 2200W DSP amplifier.

Cheers

Yes. The Baffle wall build dictates this. I also prefer sealed, and that is why looking at the Harbottle option at 13 inches deep.

got it; thats a tough one. I would say spend the $6000 to remove “what it” from your life.

Another option would be the Seaton slim subs with rack amp. I know Mark has had issues as of late, but apparrently you can use a dealer to obviate a lot of the headaches

edit: or deep sea sounds. I know Nyal has worked with David Gage in the past. You could shoot them an email and see if they are up and running again

Last edited:
I had four Seaton submersive HP versions in my previous media room. I also ran Cat 12's. When I had issues, Mark was horrible to deal with. He goes missing all the time. I decided at that point not to go back to that.

I love Harbottle because A - They are super responsive. B - Nyal has worked with them to custom-develop this particular offering. The only limitation this Sub will have is @20HZ. The CEA-2010 2m groundplane RMS SPL output should be 111db, but 4 habottle can only do 106db. At every other frequency, it exceeds CEA requirements, and to add to that can extend down to 10HZ (where we feel more than hear).

My only concern is whether will I miss that 5 dB. Getting four twin 15-inch Harbottle can fix this issue, but it will be way over budget.

Cheers

Back