• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Subtitles

bdo21

How do I set the Kaleidescape to show appropriate subtitles (not all the time - only when relevant)? For example, I am watching a film and there are a couple of minutes when they are speaking Russian and you would normally see subtitles on a normal DVD/bluray player but they didn't appear.

Thanks!

Those are what are called "forced" subtitles. It should work by default, but it's possible that there's an error in the bookmarking.

What was the movie?

In general, for English speaking customers, I suggest setting the system to a language preference of English, and setting the subtitle setting to display English subtitles if the spoken language is not English. This is done through the browser interface on Premiere systems, and through the onscreen settings interface on Cinema One and Encore players.

Those are what are called "forced" subtitles. It should work by default, but it's possible that there's an error in the bookmarking.

What was the movie?

In general, for English speaking customers, I suggest setting the system to a language preference of English, and setting the subtitle setting to display English subtitles if the spoken language is not English. This is done through the browser interface on Premiere systems, and through the onscreen settings interface on Cinema One and Encore players.

Thanks Mike - I'll have a look at the settings. The movie was Hunt for Red October.

For what it's worth, I have this Blu-ray disc imported on my Premiere system. I played it on my M300 this evening both with my usual setting (Preferred language English; Prefer to hear original audio; Subtitles if original language is not English), and with no preferred language. I saw the forced subtitles in both cases.

Please let me know whether this is a DVD or a Blu-ray disc. If yours is a Blu-ray, it's possible that you have a different version than I do, and there may be a bookmarking change needed.

Thanks Mike. It is a DVD (no upgrade available in the store!). I looked at my settings and nothing was set in the language settings so I changed to the same settings as you above. I tried playing it again but still no subtitles but perhaps I need the player (M700) to reboot for the settings to apply? I'll try again another time. Thanks for your help

The setting takes effect the next time you play something. (So, if you make the setting while something is playing, you won't see a change, but if you stop and start again, you would.)

Could you send me a PM with the serial number of your server? I'll ask the Media Guide team to check on the bookmark for your DVD to see if it needs updating.

Mike, I see Spanish subtitles intermittently for certain signage in occasional films. Examples include "Sopranos" (Los Sopranos at the start of an episode) and "A View to A Kill". Its certainly infrequent but very odd.

Back