• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Subtitle shift

Peter Nielsen

One thing that is making my Kscape system less than perfect and forces me to switch to my Oppo and juggling discs is the lack of a customer-controllable Subtitle Shift feature. Every second week I find myself juggling discs because of this. Makes me look like a clown in front of my guests that know how much money I have poured into my home theatre (and Kscape, of course) :(

Clearly the feature exists, since movies that have been processed by Kscape usually have the subtitles correctly moved. Unfortunately 95% of all my foreign movies (mostly German and Finnish movies) have not been processed by Kscape and the subtitle lies outside the cinemascope (2.35:1) area of the picture.

Why can't Kscape add a customer controllable subtitle shift feature? It would suffice to have this setting available as a RS-232/IP control commands only as long as it would give us a chance to move the subtitles for movies that have not yet been processed by Kscape...

Thanks for listening!

So your saying the "Position movie subtitles within the movie image" setting doesn't work on these foreign movies?

John

So your saying the "Position movie subtitles within the movie image" setting doesn't work on these foreign movies?

Correct. This option does not work because the movies are not processed by Kscape and the aspect ratio information is missing...

So, I could rephrase the request in another way: Is it possible for the end-user to manually add aspect information to a movie? I guess this would solve the problem too...

Thanks,
Peter

There's always the option of the loan program:

https://www.kaleidescape.com/support/loan-program/

Yes, but with the lengthy processing times and $10/disc fee this is not very attractive. By the time I have collected enough discs to make the wait worth, I've usually already watched them and gone through all the clownery...

In order to make Kaleidescape not look like a joke, they should either do:

#1) Let the customer enter aspect ratio
or
#2) Let the customer order the discs from Amazon.de and make the process convenient so that Amazon.de directly ships to Kaleidescape, who processes the discs right away and sends to the customer.

Obviously #2 will not happen, so waiting for #1...

I posted a while back it would be great for K to add the aspect ratio as a cell the customer could edit. This would be very helpful and reduce the need for manpower hours at K which are in short supply these days. I also recommended a cell that would allow titles to be collected under one tile such as recognizing that say 5 discs are part of a series.

This would take some manpower upfront but should save many man hours in the future.

The folks remaining in the loan department are fantastic, it just seems their time could be put to better use not dealing with these challenges.

This type of automated functionality appears to exist in every movie server out there so this is not something on the cutting edge so maybe it is the upfront computer engineering hours that has prevented K from implementing these cost saving measures or maybe the engineering obstacles are greater than we know. What we know for sure is the what the UI does do works very well.

I posted a while back it would be great for K to add the aspect ratio as a cell the customer could edit. This would be very helpful and reduce the need for manpower hours at K which are in short supply these days. I also recommended a cell that would allow titles to be collected under one tile such as recognizing that say 5 discs are part of a series.

This would take some manpower upfront but should save many man hours in the future.

I totally agree. And the best is that it would save so many hours of customer frustration too, and save people money. I was happy with the internal scaling done by Kscape but eventually ended up purchasing a Lumagen Radiance in order to be able to better handle all those discs without aspect ratio that Kscape has not processed.

John

Sorry to drag up an old thread - but does this command still exist and if so where?. I've only recently started using a 16:9 screen with manual masking to 2:35.1 and found that subtitles are displayed partially in the "black bar" area and I would if possible like to re-position them to be above. Is this possible.

My set-up is a co-star linked Strato/Alto/Terra.

Thanks

EDIT:

Found the setting on the player OSD. Sorry to drag this up, thought it would have been on the browser settings, but obviously couldn't find anything there.

Back