• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Subtitle handling...?

jmdls

Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
I've noticed a weird anomaly and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to address it....

My default setting is "subtitles off" because, well, I can hear. But in this mode I don't get ANY subtitles; like foreign language translations that should be part of the film. I was watching the new Star Wars Blu-ray Saga (Here's a lightning review: http://johnsciacca.webs.com/apps/bl...ew-star-wars-complete-saga-blu-ray-collection) and in the Cantina scene there was no translation of Greedo talking. Ditto Jabba. This also happens in a lot of movies where there is that occasional scene of a foreign language speaker.

When I turn English subtitles on, I get ALL the subtitles.

Is there a setting to just retain the subtitles that would have been originally in a film, like a foreign language translation, as if I were watching the movie on a regular Blu-ray player?

Thanks,
John

This subtitles issue is being discussed in other threads. This is what I did for X-Men First Class. My setup via the installer menu is English as main language so when german was spoken I expected subtitles, but no dice. When I hit the subtitles button on the remote, the entire movie was subtitled in English - for spoken english and foreign languages. Another click of the subtitles button was french, and another I think was spanish. Here is where things were interesting. Another click and English subtitles are on, but this was a hybrid - no subtitles when English is spoken, but translation subtitles in English when a foreign language is spoken. Another click of the subtitles button the remote turned off all subtitles.

So, when a movie starts, it appears that subtitles are Off. Then we go through this progression:

Off (default - start of movie)
English (English appears on screen for English words and foreign words)
Spanish
French
English (English only appears for foreign words)
Off (back to the start of the subtitles loop)

For whatever reason, we and/or Kaleidescape generally want to select that 2nd version of English subtitles. I haven't tried this with Star Wars, but that's the way I ended up watching X-Men First Class on Bluray. I pressed subtitles until I got to that second English version just before subtitles OFF. I started the movie from the beginning and German spoken words had english subtitles, and english spoken words had nothing, which is what we all want.

Hope this helps,
Jay

Thanks! I'll give that a try. Would be nice if THAT could be the preset default...that "no subtitles" *really* means "no EXTRA subtitles" Glad there is a fix though.
John

On Star Wars Episode 4- Greedo scene I selected the very last subtitle and that worked. There are a ton of options.

Is there a way to make the player default to this? It seems you would have to select this every time... I just noticed that Avatar is also doing this now- I have to select the second "English" in the subtitles to get Navvi translations.

Then we go through this progression:
Sub order depends on the realease/publisher. For some it would be the first and on some it would be the last, and the order of non-English languages is also subject to change.

I agree, it would be nice to have a less black & white option.

Well, given that K has the feature to skip all the warnings and trailers, maybe a "play the foreign language subtitles on a native english language movie" feature is possible?

I'd settle for being able to script them (it knows the language name even without bookmarking) and having it not mess with my selections should I change them mid-viewing.

What would happen with a regular BR player? Would you have to do this? And if so why is there a difference?

There are other players you can set default languages preferences, but I cannot recall any of them being so agressive about enforcing what you choose. Otherwise they usually follow whatever the publisher set as default, which is frequently English + slat-subs.

Back