• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato Won't Play

Noah Winter

Well after getting everyone excited about seeing Top Gun Maverick tomorrow my Strato suddenly won't play anything. I have a Strato S 12 TB. I have been downloading a lot of movies from the store the last two nights, from 1 AM to 10 AM is the only activity my Strato has had in the last 2 days. It played Top Gun fine last week. When I first turned it on this morning it only showed on my screen only the recent downloads on the menu. Upon unplugging and plugging the power back into the Strato my theater screen is blank, no signal but I got the full menu on my iPad control via Control 4. When I press play of a movie nothing happens. When I restart my Strato from the web interface it displays on my theater screen to wait and just when it is ready to restart there is a sudden screen of fizziness and then no signal. I do not appear to get the K logo on the front of the Strato to light up using a K remote. I have unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it back in and restarted with no effect.

Any idea anything else I can try before I have to go to Target and buy the movie on disc?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Can you access the browser interface to at least confirm your Strato is booting and on the network?

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I can see it fine on the web browser, it’s like it won’t wake up. Anyway other than unplugging or choosing restart from the web interface to get it to wake up?

The remaining movies I purchased from the sale downloaded last night so everything appears to work except it will not play movies. I could press the reset button in the back but I do not know if that would erase my movie content so I will hold off doing that.

That reset button will not affect your content, but it is also not likely to solve the problem you are experiencing. The reset on the rear is used to reset the Strato back to DHCP for selecting an IP address. Keep in mind if you try that anyway, and you are using a fixed IP with a control system, you will lose Control of the Strato until you correct the IP in either the Strato or control system.

Jim

When I press the power button on the front nothing happens. When I hold the front button down the Strato restarts with the same two screens of "please wait", followed by a very brief white static screen and then nothing. The front panel displayed for a second the 3 lights to the right of the K light but the K light in the middle never came on. I have set the light to the brightest to make sure I could see it. I swapped cords yesterday, so I do not think that is it. I played my new Top Gun Maverick disc I purchased today (the show must go on) and it played fine from my Oppo so my system is not having a problem with 4K. So since it worked last week and the only thing I have done differently I can think of is download movies but I will keep checking the video settings in case I changed something that is not now compatible, but I am also not getting any sound or signal to my Anthem Prepro so I am at a loss.

Wow, that is great. I also confirmed the IP address and Mac Address, and they are correct. I also tried reducing the Video to a maximum of 1080p and that had no effect. I was going through your trouble shooting guide. Maybe it is in standby mode and I can't wake it up?

thanks so much.

Well, that did not work. The web interface Video capabilities tab indicates the video jack is in standby along with the audio. I selected an hm movie and the Strato did not wake up. I restarted the Strato from the Web Gui and afterward received the two please wait screens followed by a 1 second flash and then nothing. All other theater components appear to be working.

You have probably done this, but unplug the power and restart? Maybe do that for both your receiver and the Strato.

If the capabilities tool says that the port is in "standby", I believe that means that the player itself is in standby. This is what you're seeing?

Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 1.29.19 PM.png

Assuming yes, there should be a message just below that:

Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 1.29.24 PM.png

If you connect to the player with the mobile app, the Remote tab will show you if the player is in standby or not, and there's a power button in the corner that will wake it up. The players do remember their standby state when you reboot them. So if it's in standby and you reboot it, it will re-enter standby again after booting.

My suggestion would be:
  1. First, make sure the player is not in standby, using the mobile app as the remote to ensure that the player has been woken up.
  2. Once it's not in standby, you can refresh/reload the video capabilities tool in the browser to see what it says.
  3. You can also try using Second Screen to start a movie playing, and while it's playing, refresh/reload that capabilities page to see if it says anything helpful.

I will have to take the disc back to Target tomorrow and that is fine with me. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

That reset button will not affect your content, but it is also not likely to solve the problem you are experiencing. The reset on the rear is used to reset the Strato back to DHCP for selecting an IP address. Keep in mind if you try that anyway, and you are using a fixed IP with a control system, you will lose Control of the Strato until you correct the IP in either the Strato or control system.

Jim
Personally, I always use DHCP reservation on my router to assign fixed IP's to devices, rather than configure a device itself with a fixed IP. That way, if the device shows no IP is assigned (or a 169.254.x.y "self-assigned" IP shows up), you know there's a network issue, as DHCP isn't working. Saved me a lot of hours of troubleshooting over the years (y)

Personally, I always use DHCP reservation on my router to assign fixed IP's to devices, rather than configure a device itself with a fixed IP. That way, if the device shows no IP is assigned (or a 169.254.x.y "self-assigned" IP shows up), you know there's a network issue, as DHCP isn't working. Saved me a lot of hours of troubleshooting over the years (y)
This is how I do it as well, and is what we recommend if a known IP address is necessary (e.g., for a control system).

Back