• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato S vs Strato

nomad07

Other then dimensions what are the technical and real world performance differences between the two ?

Solution
Apologies if my prior post made it seem like I was trying to obfuscate or equivocate.

The difference between the Strato and the Strato S is purely cosmetic. There is no functional or performance difference between the Strato S and the Strato.

The Strato S uses the same board and processor and software as the Strato. The Strato S is just a Strato made smaller so that it will fit in a 1U rack space instead of 2U.
I was told the S has a faster processor.

Well they did say same "board" so the processor might be different.

If that's the case and these no performance difference (now) maybe there will be after a future software update.

If they are the same I don't know why go to the expense of making a new model with new case and all.

Apologies if my prior post made it seem like I was trying to obfuscate or equivocate.

The difference between the Strato and the Strato S is purely cosmetic. There is no functional or performance difference between the Strato S and the Strato.

The Strato S uses the same board and processor and software as the Strato. The Strato S is just a Strato made smaller so that it will fit in a 1U rack space instead of 2U.

Solution

Can either pair with a Costar to connect to a Premier System?

"The difference between the Strato and the Strato S is purely cosmetic". So yes
Hi Telem, I noticed you have a Lumagen Radiance 4449. I assume you were a beta tester like I was and that’s how you got it. Jim convinced me to exchange mine for a 4446 with the new revision board in 1U chassis. I miss the switched outputs on the 4449 but the new 4446 has a jitter reduction circuit on the audio side. Are you still using the switched outputs? It’s a shame Lumagen abandoned 4449 before release.

Hi Telem, I noticed you have a Lumagen Radiance 4449. I assume you were a beta tester like I was and that’s how you got it. Jim convinced me to exchange mine for a 4446 with the new revision board in 1U chassis. I miss the switched outputs on the 4449 but the new 4446 has a jitter reduction circuit on the audio side. Are you still using the switched outputs? It’s a shame Lumagen abandoned 4449 before release.
I actually have both and no I was not a beta tester, bought it from a dealer in 2016 in Switzerland. Decision was mainly driven by the switched outputs. Bought a 4446 as well in 2019 and considered selling the 4449. Ended up keeping it as I still need the switched outputs for some sources. I don’t plan to keep these sources for a long time so at some point I may end up selling it. I never honestly heard any difference in audio because of the jitter reduction circuit.

Kostas

I actually have both and no I was not a beta tester, bought it from a dealer in 2016 in Switzerland. Decision was mainly driven by the switched outputs. Bought a 4446 as well in 2019 and considered selling the 4449. Ended up keeping it as I still need the switched outputs for some sources. I don’t plan to keep these sources for a long time so at some point I may end up selling it. I never honestly heard any difference in audio because of the jitter reduction circuit.

Kostas
That’s interesting. I was one of the beta testers. 4449 didn’t make it to production because the demand was very low. It got discontinued before the release. Jim at Lumagen let me keep mine but the switched outputs never got the software support beyond the initial firmware. Radiance Pro got a new revised board in the second quarter of 2019. It’s got better voltage regulators and audiophile grade capacitors. The audio only output reclocks the signal for jitter reduction. The early version board already had very low jitter (lower than Oppo players) and the new revision board improved this further. That’s probably why you don’t notice much difference. The improved voltage regulation helped inputs 1-4. These were further away from the FPGA therefore had more voltage drop. On the early models, it is recommended to use 18GHz card on inputs 5-8.

That’s interesting. I was one of the beta testers. 4449 didn’t make it to production because the demand was very low. It got discontinued before the release. Jim at Lumagen let me keep mine but the switched outputs never got the software support beyond the initial firmware. Radiance Pro got a new revised board in the second quarter of 2019. It’s got better voltage regulators and audiophile grade capacitors. The audio only output reclocks the signal for jitter reduction. The early version board already had very low jitter (lower than Oppo players) and the new revision board improved this further. That’s probably why you don’t notice much difference. The improved voltage regulation helped inputs 1-4. These were further away from the FPGA therefore had more voltage drop. On the early models, it is recommended to use 18GHz card on inputs 5-8.
Interesting indeed. When I ordered it was available at the site. Totally my choice and was shipped by Lumagen to my dealer here. Still have the box. My calibrator who’s from the UK and also a dealer was never surprised with me having it. Anyway for the time being it is useful and I may end up keeping it as backup in the improbable case something goes wrong with the 4446. Or maybe move it to another residence but I only have TVs and not projector, so no real added value as far as I was told.
The 4446 that I bought from @cinelife has only 18GHz cards. Not sure if it has the revised board though but it works perfectly well ! Any questions feel free to reach out by PM

Kostas

Back