• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato S Discontinuing

Jim, to clarify what I think you're saying: adding the Terra won't expand the supported playback zones for any content stored on the Strato-S. However, if you add a Terra, anything you re-download to the Terra will support more playback zones (should you also add the players.)?

Correct.

Jim
The move to the Strato C is just a way to raise pricing - offer less for more money.

Sorry, not accurate. While I understand that comment comes from a belief by some that companies are generally only interested in taking more of our money, that is not the motivation behind the move to these combination systems. These were business decisions for sure, but based on performance and deciding where best to place assets for equipment purchases going forward. With current infrastructure limitations (bandwidth affecting downloads) in parts of the country, it made more sense to offer equipment that does a much better job with download speeds. That, and the fact that Strato-S sales had declined in favor of Terra/Strato-C systems, were the reasons behind the decision to focus on Terra going forward. The Terra/Strato-C set offers more, not less, so that's not accurate either.

I don't deny they're in business to make a profit. Realistic financial, and product planning are cornerstones of operating a successful company, and K is no different in that regard. Personally, I want them to be focused on business operations that keep them profitable, I want them around well into the future.

Jim

Jim, sorry, do not buy it for a second.
Going from $6000 (retail) to $9000 for the same performance, but with marginally faster download speeds and the loss of WiFi (I would rather have WiFi, but let's call it a wash), is a very steep (50%) jump for no absolute gain. This was motivated by profit -- which is obviously important, but it's a bitter pill to swallow.

The company needs to balance the need to grow profit with the need to grow unit sales. There's a sweet spot somewhere, but a $9K media player which is nothing special hardware-wise doesn't look like it.

I own a ~$30K music server/streamer, so I'm by no means against very high hardware costs. In K's case, this is just price gouging.

Faster download speeds are irrelevant if you're not streaming. Whether it's 60 minutes or 30 minutes, it doesn't change the use-case of having to download the movie well before sitting down to watch it. Hitting the download button on my phone as I sit down to dinner vs. sitting down to dessert is not worth a 50% price hike, sorry.

What I have suggested to the company (I have started a number of hardware based tech companies), is to have a two model portfolio:
• the "Entry-level" model must be under $5k
• the "Pro" model can be >$20k and offer true audio and video performance improvements
, borrowed from high-end music streamers. I'm talking about upgraded power supplies with massive caps, better transformers, better PCBs, shielding, and yes, faster download speeds and more storage.

You all know that they don't make any profit from content, right? So I get that the hardware must deliver the profit. But let's not call a 50% price hike for no net benefit (faster download speeds at the cost of WiFi) anything other than what it is - a profit-focused move and nothing more.

I’m not sure where you’re getting your statistics.. but having personally moved from a Strato S to Terra… I get a full 4K HDR download in 10mins vs. 3 hours (Strato). It’s night and day and well worth the pricing change alone in my opinion. Strato S still works fine, if you’re against the change, don’t upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure where you’re getting your statistics.. but having personally moved from a Strato S to Terra… I get a full 4K HDR download in 10mins vs. 3 hours (Strato). It’s night and day and well worth the pricing change alone in my opinion. Strato S still works fine, if you’re against the change, don’t upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure why it was taking you 3 hours on the Strato S - it takes about 40 minutes for me (using Gigbit ethernet), for a 4K UHD title.

What I'm trying to do is ensure the success of the company, so we don't all end up having $9k (in your case) paperweights. An entry point of $9k is not the way to do that.

Just FYI, the entry point is not $9K, but I acknowledge you may have paid that for your system. In any case, no real argument here, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and I don't disagree that less expensive is better, but from K's perspective function and quality are driving the current numbers.

Jim

Jim, sure it is: I'm talking about US retail pricing:
Strato S 6T = $6K
Strato C = $3K + Terra 6T $6K = $9K
I realize dealers will discount the above. Any discounts would be proportional to the list, so the 50% increase remains. I was fortunate to have a special price from Kaleidescape, as I gather they were trying to clear out the S in January.

That's a massive 50% hike in 1 year, with no real gains. Not how I would do it if I were running the company, so I'm a bit worried... but let's hope I'm wrong as it's a great product.

For new potential owners, what the S cost is irrelevant, since it's done. Will $9k vs $6k make a difference in their purchase decision? Yeah, I think so. Most owners have an AV receiver that costs $3k (or less). (My flagship Denon 8500 was $3k new, after discounts, when it was launched). So $3k is a nice receiver, or a nice couch, or whatever... you get my point.

Yes, when I add in my Trinnov, Lumagen, separate DAC, power amps, etc., $3k is not a big deal; but I think that's a tiny sliver of the market, and it's a sliver that Kaleidescape already has -- hence, not much growth.

Fair enough, but just for clarity, K bundles the Terra 6TB and Strato-C for $8K, not $9K, there's a $1K discount Promo that's been available for several months and is still available. You are correct when priced separately.

The "no real gains" comment is not correct. The advantages of the Terra over the Strato-S are:

1. 4 to 5 times faster download speeds
2. Can download content during movie playback
3. Supports 5 simultaneous playbacks (Strato-S supports 2). You might be surprised at the number of owners wanting simultaneous playback in more than two rooms.

Those may not be real gains to you, but they're appreciated by many owners, especially the download speeds. Again, not arguing, just pointing out that there are improvements with a Terra in the system.

Jim

i am a new user and i welcome the newer hardware. i agree with Jim, the new configuration is much better especially as you expand your system.

Right, but it's 2 power cords, and if you have an AC regenerator/conditioner/upgraded power supply, now you've doubled the cost of connecting the unit to power.
If you have an ac regenerator you have more money than sense, so you can afford the expense of having 1 more item to power :p

You all know that they don't make any profit from content, right? So I get that the hardware must deliver the profit. But let's not call a 50% price hike for no net benefit (faster download speeds at the cost of WiFi) anything other than what it is - a profit-focused move and nothing more.
Of course they make a profit from store sales. I understand you want your opinion known, that's fine, nothing wrong with posting those comments, but you also make assumptions that are just not accurate.

Based on your comment I assume Vudu, and others, are happy to operate as a 501c's.......

Jim

If you have an ac regenerator you have more money than sense, so you can afford the expense of having 1 more item to power :p
You have no idea! Everything you watch and here is just manipulated AC.
Thanks for helping streamline this thread as I have zero interest in what you have to say. +1 for the Ignore list

Fair enough, but just for clarity, K bundles the Terra 6TB and Strato-C for $8K, not $9K, there's a $1K discount Promo that's been available for several months and is still available. You are correct when priced separately.

The "no real gains" comment is not correct. The advantages of the Terra over the Strato-S are:

1. 4 to 5 times faster download speeds
2. Can download content during movie playback
3. Supports 5 simultaneous playbacks (Strato-S supports 2). You might be surprised at the number of owners wanting simultaneous playback in more than two rooms.

Those may not be real gains to you, but they're appreciated by many owners, especially the download speeds. Again, not arguing, just pointing out that there are improvements with a Terra in the system.

Jim
Jim, that's helpful, as I wasn't aware of these other new features.
I still have no need for them. What I do have a need for is WiFi and just one chassis (with 1 power cord), so the new models just wouldn't work in my ~$300K theater. Yeah, I could remove all the gear and run ethernet and new AC lines, but it doesn't make sense to do that.
For the average user, I think WiFi is a big feature, and therefore a big miss, as is the price point.

Understood, can't argue with that.:)

Jim

You have no idea! Everything you watch and here is just manipulated AC.
Thanks for helping streamline this thread as I have zero interest in what you have to say. +1 for the Ignore list

Not aiming at anyone, but let's keep this friendly. We're not AVS, I don't allow personal attacks, or disparaging comments on what members own. We're here to share info that helps Members, not start arguments, if anyone wants to do that please visit one of the other forums.

Thanks for your understanding.

Jim

Back