• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato & Electrical Noise

TrackZ

Hi all. I'm curious if anyone has noted electrical noise in your spaces with Kaleidescape equipment.

I think my space is a little sensitive to this overall. I hear noise floor from my speakers in general, more than I would expect. I have also continually fought electrical noise/hum when using my gaming PC in my theater systems. I recently solved this with a HumX on the PC.

I still am hearing more noise than I like, I started really digging into my system to find out what is causing or is involving with the noise. Unplugging elements one by one yesterday and so on. When I got to my Strato S 6TB, I found a significant difference in noise level without it vs. with it.

It's actually severe enough that if I plug in the Strato, go to my room and sit by my speakers, I can actually hear the Strato booting through it's start up sequence. I can heard the hard drive spinning up and so on. Once fully booted and on, the Strato represents a pretty significant amount of electrical noise in my system.

I tried the HumX from the PC on the Strato's plug and this noise went away. I was left with only the faintest hum remaining. I tried a cheater plug as well on the Strato, to the same result (basically a three prong power cord I had snapped the ground plug off). I went ahead and ordered a 2nd HumX from Amazon last night so I can run one one the PC and one permanently on the Strato too.

But I'd be curious to check if anyone notices this. Try the same test. Unplug your Strato, wait some seconds, then plug it in and go sit by your speakers. See if you hear extra noise, the wind up of the drives, and higher noise floor once the device is booted.

I'd really love to find an overall solution to this in my system. I've tried a ton. I'm running my entire system on a CyberPower UPS now too which should really be cleaning up and stabilizing the power. I have a dedicated circuit 20A to my theater rack with nothing else but the HT gear on it. My projector is the only element not on that circuit since it's plugged into the wall in the HT room, but I've shut that down and unplugged it and the noise floor doesn't change, so it shouldn't be the projector introducing noise.

We even had an electrician here recently (dealing with a non-heating oven, ugh) who inspected our panels and commented how well done the electrical service on the house is. Signals are right where they should be and clean.

CyberPower PR1500RT2U Smart App Sinewave UPS System, 1500VA/1500W, 8 Outlets, 2U Rack/Tower, AVR​

I just installed new Parasound amps, which are very commonly recognized for their clean and low noise. I'm eager to finally get my preamp upgrade done though and see if that makes a difference moving from my older Marantz to an Anthem or Arcam unit.

I have had the same issue in my system with the Strato. I was hoping that things would improve when I moved to a Strato C in that system and things improved but I still get a similar cycling noise - especially when scrolling through the menu. Everything is plugged into an AudioQuest Niagra 3000, Marantz Pre/Pro and Amp.

I also have a projector on a different power (can't remember if it's a different circuit then my rack) plug but disconnecting the HDMI makes no difference. I did swap over for a Fiber HDMI cable between the Strato and Marantz and that made a slight difference but there is still some noise passing through. I am also waiting to upgrade my amplifier and pre-amp soon for other reasons and am hopeful that the new amp especially will help.

Good Luck

Yeah, I heard the same in the living room speakers particularly. Where noise would ramp up even higher when moving across covers on the Strato's cover wall, then quiet down a bit (but still noise present) when not doing anything.

One thing I didn't try yet was to disconnect the coax input to my cable modem (which is resident in the rack). I'll do that next. Although I did unplug the modem and it didn't change.

If I can track some noise to the coax, I'll try one of those HumZero units.

Have not experienced any of that in my systems, and all have Strato's. I just checked my theater, zero noise from my speakers prior to powering On that system, and barely noticeable very light "hiss" when the system is powered On, and only if I get my ears to within a couple of feet of the LCR's. (But it could be a hearing problem with me personally, not sure.) (Not worth my time to try and eliminate it.)

Jim

I think there will always be some level of hiss coming from speakers in general. At least when your ear is right up to the driver. But that's inaudible from a meter or so away.

Yup, was only trying say I might not be hearing all that's audible to someone with perfect hearing. (9 years flying Cobra's compromised my high freq's to some extent.......that and my wife's voice for some reason.)

Jim

Yup, was only trying say I might not be hearing all that's audible to someone with perfect hearing. (9 years flying Cobra's compromised my high freq's to some extent.......that and my wife's voice for some reason.)

Jim

Yep, I probably hear and see less detail than I think I do. :) Yay for running an industrial vacuum cleaner for a few years as my late teenage job with no ear protection.

I had this very issue with my first iteration with a Parasound for g fronts and Yamaha amp for surrounds. Went down the rabbit hole of issues with K, other devices, ground loops (arghhhhh)…

Turned out it was the noise floor level of the parasound. As soon as I upgraded to Anthem and beyond it completely disappeared

I had this very issue with my first iteration with a Parasound for g fronts and Yamaha amp for surrounds. Went down the rabbit hole of issues with K, other devices, ground loops (arghhhhh)…

Turned out it was the noise floor level of the parasound. As soon as I upgraded to Anthem and beyond it completely disappeared

Which Parasound product were you using?

I think my Marantz is part of the noise I hear and experience with these sources. I'm throwing other solutions at it, like the HumX, but I'm really eager to see what happens when I change to an Anthem or Arcam preamp.

Are your amps also plugged into the Cyberpower UPS? If so, try removing them from the UPS. It is not recommended to plug amps into the UPS even if you have a dedicated UPS. I learned this from last tear from several people including both amp manufacturers. Sometimes the UPS waveform does some squirrelly things to amp output. That could possibly make them more sensitive to other components within the system.

I run all non-amplifier components including my JVC RS3000 on the Cyberpower 1500. It was tricky to get a code approved conditioned power feed to the PJ but at least when there is a surge or interruption the PJ is safer.

I had been, yes. But with the Parasound amps, I found the UPS limit at 1500W was getting tripped. I'm have taken the whole one side of my rack off the UPS, but I will tweak it to run the amps off the wall directly and everything else off the UPS.

My projector is not on it, per my prior notes. And my subs would be plugged into the wall in the theater room too. Those are all one another circuit.

I am having the same noise on my Strato S 12tb system. Once I start up the Strato, it makes the humming noise. Funny enough I am using a Marantz AVR for my preamp and my equipment is plugged into a Pannamax power conditioner too. The humming goes away once the movie starts but it is annoying when you hear it.

Same noise issue here with a new Strato S 6TB.
When scrolling through the menu, I had a faint humming sound on my subwoofers (DBA). I already knew this problem from the HTPC. A jitter measurement of the Strato would be interesting.

An active optical HDMI cable between Strato and Lumagen has helped. No more problems since then. Important, it must not be a hybrid cable, i.e. purely optically without a copper wire.

Same noise here, and i never would have figured it out without this post.

Any brand of short optical hdmi's?

Same noise here, and i never would have figured it out without this post.

Any brand of short optical hdmi's?
I use the inakustik optical fiber cables, they start at 1m upwards. Not cheap, but they work.

I heard the Monoprice cables should be good too and much cheaper, but I have no experience with them.

Good luck!
Markus

I have my Strato on a Hum X now and that helped it. But I plan to do more experimenting with my gear and how it is all powered to try and more globally eliminate hum noises.

This has probably already been mentioned, but people should keep in mind that most hum, regardless of the piece of equipment you suspect is generating it, is usually caused by your electrical system, not the equipment. The equipment's electrical draw may expose the problem (ground loop, wire issues (loose, broken, wrong gauge for the draw), amp draw, receptacle issues, etc.), but it's unusual that it's the actual "cause."

Not saying it cannot be the equipment, but all the cases I've encountered thus far were always traced to a weakness or problem elsewhere in the electrical system. Sometimes it's worth a visit from an electrician to test circuits, compute the circuit power being used by equipment, check wiring, etc..

Jim

This has probably already been mentioned, but people should keep in mind that most hum, regardless of the piece of equipment you suspect is generating it, is usually caused by your electrical system, not the equipment. The equipment's electrical draw may expose the problem (ground loop, wire issues (loose, broken, wrong gauge for the draw, amp draw, receptacle issues, etc.), but it's unusual that it's the actual "cause."

Not saying it cannot be the equipment, but all the cases I've encountered thus far were always traced to a weakness or problem elsewhere in the electrical system. Sometimes it's worth a visit from an electrician to test circuits, compute the circuit power being used by equipment, check wiring, etc..

Jim
Echo Jim's comments. ^^

In my last home, I had a ground differential. Somehow the house was grounding out somewhere else. I had the chatter/hum from the Strato/Alto too then. I had a Panamax line conditioner, w/ all components connected, on a dedicated circuit. The sound/hum was only during boot up and seeking for data.

I'm in a new to me, but a wicked old home, with all the issues sorted. There is no ground differential that I was able to measure between circuits.

I recommend a licensed electrician to verify your electrical system's performance.

Bill

Hi all. I'm curious if anyone has noted electrical noise in your spaces with Kaleidescape equipment.

I think my space is a little sensitive to this overall. I hear noise floor from my speakers in general, more than I would expect. I have also continually fought electrical noise/hum when using my gaming PC in my theater systems. I recently solved this with a HumX on the PC.

I still am hearing more noise than I like, I started really digging into my system to find out what is causing or is involving with the noise. Unplugging elements one by one yesterday and so on. When I got to my Strato S 6TB, I found a significant difference in noise level without it vs. with it.

It's actually severe enough that if I plug in the Strato, go to my room and sit by my speakers, I can actually hear the Strato booting through it's start up sequence. I can heard the hard drive spinning up and so on. Once fully booted and on, the Strato represents a pretty significant amount of electrical noise in my system.

I tried the HumX from the PC on the Strato's plug and this noise went away. I was left with only the faintest hum remaining. I tried a cheater plug as well on the Strato, to the same result (basically a three prong power cord I had snapped the ground plug off). I went ahead and ordered a 2nd HumX from Amazon last night so I can run one one the PC and one permanently on the Strato too.

But I'd be curious to check if anyone notices this. Try the same test. Unplug your Strato, wait some seconds, then plug it in and go sit by your speakers. See if you hear extra noise, the wind up of the drives, and higher noise floor once the device is booted.

I'd really love to find an overall solution to this in my system. I've tried a ton. I'm running my entire system on a CyberPower UPS now too which should really be cleaning up and stabilizing the power. I have a dedicated circuit 20A to my theater rack with nothing else but the HT gear on it. My projector is the only element not on that circuit since it's plugged into the wall in the HT room, but I've shut that down and unplugged it and the noise floor doesn't change, so it shouldn't be the projector introducing noise.

We even had an electrician here recently (dealing with a non-heating oven, ugh) who inspected our panels and commented how well done the electrical service on the house is. Signals are right where they should be and clean.

CyberPower PR1500RT2U Smart App Sinewave UPS System, 1500VA/1500W, 8 Outlets, 2U Rack/Tower, AVR​

I just installed new Parasound amps, which are very commonly recognized for their clean and low noise. I'm eager to finally get my preamp upgrade done though and see if that makes a difference moving from my older Marantz to an Anthem or Arcam unit.
I have the same issue. It’s quite annoying.
I have ordered a linear power supply as the stock one is garbage. Hope that will fix it.
I have several other sources, including an Apple TV and Oppo 203 and they are dead quiet when on. Hearing the HD boot through the speakers is not acceptable. It’s definitely coming through the AC line.
I’m using a PS Audio P20, which helps a bit.

I will try the HumX tonight, although I don’t have ground issues. The voltage differential is very low, and all components are connected to the same outlet.

Back