• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato, Alto, Disc Vault Networking

In my current setup I have my Alto and my Disc Vault connected via a mesh point in my wifi, that is effectively serving as a network switch. The issue is that this mesh point only has 2 ports (one for the DV, and one for the Alto). I recently purchased a 12TB Strato and, now that I'm adding the Strato to my system, do I need to add a 3-port (or more) network switch to connect all 3 pieces of equipment to that they can "talk" to one another, or can I simply have the Strato's network connection replace the Alto and allow the Co-Star to tie them together? Please let me know if this makes sense. Any help would be appreciated.

I recently set up a co-star pairing an M500 with a Strato. My understanding is that the Co-Star‘s job is to allow the Strato to control the ”slave” player - M500 for me, Alto in your case - over HDMI. But for this to be possible, the systems and specific players have to be paired and need to be connected separately on the same network for this to happen. I connect everything via Ethernet, so need a port on the switch for each component. If I remember rightly though, the Strato - my model anyway - can connect via WIFI (the Alto too if I remember rightly), so this might save you having to get a new switch. Though Ethernet is obviously preferable. This was my experience anyway...

I recently set up a co-star pairing an M500 with a Strato. My understanding is that the Co-Star‘s job is to allow the Strato to control the ”slave” player - M500 for me, Alto in your case - over HDMI. But for this to be possible, the systems and specific players have to be paired and need to be connected separately on the same network for this to happen. I connect everything via Ethernet, so need a port on the switch for each component. If I remember rightly though, the Strato - my model anyway - can connect via WIFI (the Alto too if I remember rightly), so this might save you having to get a new switch. Though Ethernet is obviously preferable. This was my experience anyway...
Correction: just looking at the Strato installation guide. WiFi is only an option when the Strato is a standalone component in the system. Gigabit Ethernet is required when you have more than one component. So looks like you will need that extra port.

To clarify; when Co-Starred the Alto/M-Class player is controlled by the Strato via IP (network) not HDMI.

All devices must have their own wired network connection in order to be grouped together. Devices cannot be grouped when connected to your network via Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, guys! Despite my difficulty in clearly stating my conundrum, I think this "when Co-Starred, the Alto/M-Class player is controlled by the Strato via IP (network) not HDMI. All devices must have their own wired network connection in order to be grouped together" was the perfect answer. When all was said and done, I ended up buying a simple unmanaged 8 port network switch and connecting all units through that switch. Everything worked (and continues to) like an absolute charm.

Back