• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato 6TB HD Failure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition to the CEO's comment above, I'll expand it a little by reminding people that Kaleidescape isn't taking your "failed drive" Terra or Strato and remanufacturing it by only replacing the drive. There are several parts they replace during remanufacturing to insure the component is as "new" as possible, including fan(s), etc., in addition to replacing parts that get removed during the process of removing the drive. The drives are not "open the case, swap the drive, close the case," the process is actually more complex because of all the screws and parts that have to be removed, and it's not hard to damage a board when doing that, and that's the reason those components are not field serviceable.

The full sized Terra server drives are much easier to change out, and those remain field serviceable.

So, there is no reason to be concerned about your purchase, you will have options after the new 5 year warranty expires.

Jim

We have decided to extend the warranty on all Strato/Terra products to five years. Customers who bought extended warranties will have their warranty extended a corresponding period beyond five years. (This will not apply to the older Premiere line.)

If you have a failure out of warranty, we will sell you a like-for-like remanufactured replacement, if available, for 50% off MSRP, with two years warranty. Alternatively, at any time, you can trade in your Kaleidescape component for 25% off MSRP on an upgraded product with full warranty.

Thank you for this. It's not often we get quick responses that are actually nothing more than promises nowadays, so this is a material add to an already great product (especially as I have recently bought two Strato S's). A very welcome bonus!

So the bigger Terra servers (24,48 and 72) all get 5 years warranty and there is an option to extend the warranty beyond 5 years. If a drive in these Terra servers fail when out of warranty, the failed drive alone can be replaced by the user by purchasing drives from K. And if there are other issues when the server is out of warranty, they can be traded in for a remanufactured component for 50% off MSRP.

Is this summary correct?

So the bigger Terra servers (24,48 and 72) all get 5 years warranty and there is an option to extend the warranty beyond 5 years. If a drive in these Terra servers fail when out of warranty, the failed drive alone can be replaced by the user by purchasing drives from K. And if there are other issues when the server is out of warranty, they can be traded in for a remanufactured component for 50% off MSRP.

Is this summary correct?
I think even Compact Terra's 12 and 18 get 5 year warranty. As for as 50% off, I am not sure if that applies to all.

To clarify, original Strato, Strato S, Strato C, compact Terra, and big Terra all now have a five year warranty. Extended warranties already sold will be honored beyond five years (but we won't sell more extended warranties for Strato/Terra).

Big Terra (24, 40, 48, 72) drives are field replaceable, so if one fails, we send just the drive.

Strato and compact Terra drives are not field replaceable (that would have made those products physically bigger and more expensive), so we send a whole chassis if there is a failure.

50% off is for a remanufactured product (everything evaluated and potentially updated), with two year warranty, replacing a like (same type, same storage, if available) product that fails out of warranty.

25% is a trade-in credit for new product with full five year warranty, any time, any Kaleidescape player for any Strato, any Kaleidescape server for any Terra.

I just deleted the same answer, thanks Tayloe!

Jim

Just because a product is not field serviceable, doesn't mean it isn't serviceable, let's keep that in mind and wait for an official comment from K.
and K does not offer a repair service.
I know the immediate problem has been mitigated, but if it isn't field serviceable, and K doesn't do repair services, then doesn't that mean anything not field serviceable & out-of-warranty isn't serviceable (at least without going third-party and hoping they don't do something that violates the black-box?)
If you have a failure out of warranty, we will sell you a like-for-like remanufactured replacement, if available, for 50% off MSRP, with two years warranty. Alternatively, at any time, you can trade in your Kaleidescape component for 25% off MSRP on an upgraded product with full warranty.
You only specifically called out the warranty extension as not applying to the Premiere line, so does the out-of-warranty offer apply?

I know the immediate problem has been mitigated, but if it isn't field serviceable, and K doesn't do repair services, then doesn't that mean anything not field serviceable & out-of-warranty isn't serviceable (at least without going third-party and hoping they don't do something that violates the black-box?)
My comment was meant to point out that although the components were not field serviceable, they could still be serviced, by K if they elected to offer that service, and to wait for their comment on how they planned to deal with that issue if it presented, and Tayloe provided that answer in his post.

Jim

You only specifically called out the warranty extension as not applying to the Premiere line, so does the out-of-warranty offer apply?
We take care of our customers. The way we do out of warranty service is to sell our customers a remanufactured unit, then get their broken unit back, then remanufacture it. It's faster and more reliable than just trying to identify and repair a single part. And our remanufactured systems come with a 2 year warranty.

I won’t even ask for a refund for my recent failed Terra drive that would have been covered under the new 5 year warranty. Lol. Thanks to K for enhancing the warranty, etc. Just fantastic and shows their support. Not many companies would do this. Think I will go enjoy a movie. :). Might be time to even close this thread. SJ

I agree, this issue has now been addressed by Kaleidescape. I'm closing the thread.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back